Tinting Strips for flybridge Lower shield?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Capt. Rodbone

Vessel Name
SV Stella Polaris MV Sea Turtle
Vessel Make
1978 VanDine Gaff rigged schooner, 1978 Grand Banks Classic Trawler
I know I’m not the only boat guy who has a project create another project, but it’s frustrating when it does. When your boat is 45 years old there are always projects to do anyway so creating another one isn’t ideal.

So I just finished varnishing the teak windshield supports on forward edge of the flybridge. In a couple of spots (see pic below) the masking tape when being removed pull the “tinting material” off with it. The material is probably original and is very brittle. Sea Turtle is a Grand Banks 42 Classic.

Assuming that material is meant to cut down glare? I haven’t tried yet but if the pieces under the tape came off this easily maybe it all will(wishful thinking right??). If so and there’s no great reason to try and find this stuff or something similar then that’s easiest approach. If the stuff serves a truly needed purpose then my next question where would one source some? It might be something that can simply be purchased at an auto parts store?

Attachments

• 39E11A98-EDFE-49C5-AE35-07F83ECB1A01.jpg
    39E11A98-EDFE-49C5-AE35-07F83ECB1A01.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 25
It may be something special, but regular window tint from the auto parts store should be just as good. Won't be the exact same color though so you'll have to replace all of it. Hopefully you can get the all old stuff off. I have the same problem on a couple of my salon windows but haven't tackled it yet.

Yes, the big problem area will likely be getting all of the old stuff off and then getting any adhesive that may be left off also. Most any window tint would work but I would buy a name brand like 3M so it may last as long as you own the boat.

Capt. Rodbone-

I just replaced my windscreen with a tinted one.

See attached pictures.

My old one I removed for varnishing and it being 43 years old had some scratches on it and I wanted to upgrade to tinted as well.

I used these folks: https://theplasticsguy.com/

I shipped them my old ones they used them as templates and shipped me back new ones.

I just need to find replacement brackets to old the tops together as my old ones are pretty dinged up and attmitedly I might have tossed one by mistake.

Hope that Helps!

RZ

Attachments

• WindScreen3.jpeg
    WindScreen3.jpeg
    135.5 KB · Views: 21
  • WindScreen 2.jpeg
    WindScreen 2.jpeg
    117.8 KB · Views: 19
  • WindScreen 1.jpg
    WindScreen 1.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 19
As for the knees that hold the windscreen parts refinish them. I have a different boat but I do that every 10+ yrs. In between they get a new varnish overcoat each year. I just did that this past winter by taking them off and to home.

One comment I will make is be absolutely sure you mark them so you know exactly which position they belong to. THe odds are good there is a slight angle difference to the base mounting from position to position.
I did my marking on the surface that is secured to the bridge. If you don't and there is an angle you will have a heck of a time figuring out which piece goes where.
And don't ask how I know.

Last edited:
Update

As always thanks to all of you that took the time to reply. Here’s an update. Fortunately the remaining tinted strip came off very easily, as did what adhesive film was left behind.
Now the question is…. Do I really need to replace it? I think I’ll do some cruising without it first to see if I can note any glare difference without it. I don’t think any of the responses indicated if I am correct in my assumption that the 2 inch strip was meant to reduce glare, but that is the only thing I can think of. If not, then I will later decide if the slight difference in aesthetics now that I have it completely off, is ever enough to go to the trouble of replacing it.
If I ever do you will probably know fairly quickly because I’ll will likely do a post that is titled ‘“ How do I apply these tinting strips without getting wrinkles in them? ‘’?

The tinting looks like it’s meant to reduce the aging of the plastic from the sun heating and reflecting off the mounting strips.

I always wondered why they tint them. You don't really look through them and no way it's going to keep the sun out of your eyes. Slowing down the aging of the plastic makes sense, and they probably just look better tinted. The one on my boat is just clear acrylic. 50 years old as far as I know and in good shape but for a few scratches.
For applying the tint film, try spraying soapy water on the surface first. You can slide it around and get it perfect before the glue grabs. They do that with vinyl sign graphics.

Last edited:
The question is whether you want to put on an old style Decal. On a flat surface that's easy. Soapy water & a squeegee. The new "wrap" material is harder to apply, but can be pulled off and repositioned a few times.

For future reference.......
The wrinkles are removed with a plastic squeegee or credit card. Spray bottle with distilled water and small amount of dish soap. Spray both the surface of the surface to be tinted and the tint. Work from center out to work out bubbles and wrinkles.
Most films are 2 . The clear peels off to expose the sticky side that is activated by the water.
Small synopsis but the gist of it.

I do not believe the tinting material was original. All the flying bridge windshields in GBs I have seen in old catalogues have been clear plastic. I believe they were acrylic but polycarbonate is also used in replacements.

While common in windshield replacements in GBs I see little value in tinting them. The main function of the Venturi windshield is to keep the wind from blowing in one's face while one is able to look out above it.

Or you can look for Total Plastics Inc in your area. They will make for you any tint you like. Here in Baltimore they do a lot of bulletproof....

I have a lot of glare issues with my eyes. I would absolutely reapply the tinting. Anything that will cut down on glare or strong lights would be worth it to me.

Yeah, glare on the water is a problem. While tinting will cut down some of the glare it also cuts down general visibility.

What I have always found works really well to eliminate glare are polarised sunglasses.

I use polarized sunglasses all the time I am outside. Visibility through a venturi windscreen isn’t really an issue because all you can really see is the bow deck.

Or you can look for Total Plastics Inc in your area. They will make for you any tint you like. Here in Baltimore they do a lot of bulletproof....
Oh come on.......
Not Charm City!!!???

If you're DIY Home Depot has 1/4" acrylic 4x8 sheets for around $275. You could probably get a venturi screen out of one sheet, with a lot of waste due to the curves. That's why they're made from 3 or 4 pieces, cutting one out in one piece would be ridiculous if you could even get sheets that big.

I replaced my wind screen with tinted. The old was yellowed and full of spider cracks. I find I do look thru it while settled into my helm bench. It does cut down on the glare off the white cabin top as well as off the water. If I ever feel so motivated, I may add polarizing film to see into the water better.

Attachments

• 20181213_144008.jpg
    20181213_144008.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 13
Back
Top Bottom