Toyota Luger engine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Woody5

Veteran Member
I’m looking at a 37’ Bsnker motor sailor on Craigslist:
https://boston.craigslist.org/nos/boa/d/new-paltz-1971-banjer-37/7638606479.html
The original Perkins diesel was replaced with a a Toyota diesel. Research on the web doesn’t provide any information on those engines. Can anyone provide information as to whether this engine is riskcy as far as parts and tech support?

The boat looks very heavy any ideas on whether it would be a good purchase. I would have to travel from Florida to see it.

I thought Luger used Komatsu blocks ?

Toyota is Hino which is used on many Bayliners.

Interesting I see the photos it does say Toyota Lugger. This may have been before Hino so maybe it was Lugger that marinized the engine.

Last edited:
That Toyota 2Z is the rough equivalent of the Perkins 4.154, aka Westerbeke 58. If they replaced that Perkins with that Toyota, I understand why.

The Perkins 4.154 turns out, for whatever reason, to be a stepchild, and parts can be hens teeth (and I'm a Perkins fan).

As for the 2Z, it was mostly a forklift engine. I don't know it well. The change might now turn out to be from the flying pan into the fryer.

There may be some major supplier out there I don't know about -- I've never had reason to look. But, I'd suspect you are down to aftermarket forklift suppliers and maybe common maintenance items from Northern Lights or another generator manufacturer, because I think it may have been used in some of those.

Check me on this...this is all low investment, uninvolved stuff from the back of my head.

Last edited:
She looks like a very stout boat. Displacement is 26,400 lbs, LWL 33.5', Beam 11.4', 85 HP, and holds 200 gallons of fuel. Without the sails, her range would be limited but adequate for coastal cruising. I estimate that speed at wide open throttle would be ~9 knots and a high cruise speed would be 7.5 knots. Range @ 7.5 knots with 20% reserve would be ~430 NMi. At 7.0 knots, the range improves to ~480; at 6.5 knots, it would be ~500 NMi. Most of these motorsailers add a davit to the stern and hang a small dinghy, which increases the LOA from 38.1' to ~43.5'. I suspect support for the Toyota Lugger might be better than the Perkins.

According to https://everythingaboutboats.org/ "Hino Motors, Ltd., commonly known as simply Hino, is a Japanese manufacturer of commercial vehicles (including trucks, buses and other vehicles) and diesel engines headquartered in Hino-shi, Tokyo. The company has been the leading producer of medium and heavy-duty diesel trucks in Asia. It is a subsidiary of Toyota Motor Corporation and one of 16 […]"

Looks to be a lugger 854 which is about 40hp. Excellent engine, and used today in their 25kw genset. I have one onboard.

Back
Top Bottom