Where is my oil pressure sending unit?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Boater34

Hi. I cannot find anywhere….how to locate my sending unit on my Perkins 1978 diesel. Model t6.354
Any help appreciated
Tks

Welcome to TF, and I'll now direct your request thread to the area more likely to get good exposure than Welcome Mat. :flowers:

The oil pressure sender is /usually/ located on the "service" side of the engine, the side of the engine that has the injector pump and seawater pump (or aux power take off) and "often" has the oil filter, the fuel filter, and the stop solenoid.

This is the opposite of the block from the one that has the starter, the mechanical lifter pump, and usually the alternator.

The oil pressure sender goes into the main oil galley. For a landmark on the most likely side of the engine, the main oil galley is just at or above the level of the sea water pump. So, the oil sender will almost certainly be at that level on the engine.

I'd expect to find both the oil pressure sender (for gauges) and the oil pressure switch (for alarms) somewhere in this area "behind" the seawater pump, but in the main engine block, not back near the engine housing.

If your engine has a cooler mounted on that side, I'd expect to find one of the two just behind the seawater pump and the other just ahead of or just behind the cooler.

Bu, there are a lot of ports into the main galley, so it can really be a lot of places on either side at that "altitude" of the engine. Its just that they usually put them on the "service" side.

I've marked up an image from TAD Diesel with the general area where they are commonly found (box) and a couple of guesses (dots pointed to by arrows).

It could be in other places, but as a general guess, this is mine...

Attachments

• Inked1144-01.jpg
    Inked1144-01.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 34
I've marked up an image from TAD Diesel with the general area where they are commonly found (box) and a couple of guesses (dots pointed to by arrows).

It could be in other places, but as a general guess, this is mine...

Looking back at that picture....for the dot on the right, I really wanted that to be ticked in behind the very end of that dual cooler at the same height on the engine as the other one.

I re-edited the image and attached a new copy below.

Attachments

• Inked1144-01 (1).jpg
    Inked1144-01 (1).jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
On my 6.354MGT's they are on the port side (assuming yours are mounted frontways with the belt and alternator forward) above and behind the seawater pump. The gauge sender is cylindrical about 2" x 2", the alarm switch is just a plug with wires attached.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom