120VAC 60Hz Microwave step-up to 240V w/transformer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BLUE STEEL

Vessel Name
BLUE STEEL
Vessel Make
Neville 47' Offshore
In an effort to balance larger electrical loads, I'm trying to convert my boat's appliances to 240v split @ 60Hz.

It's nearly impossible to find non-commercial 240v microwaves that aren't designed for 50Hz.

Wondering if there are any reasons I shouldn't consider a cheap-ish toroidal transformer to feed the 120V microwave with 240V from my inverter?

This is the model I am considering:

The combi microwave draws 1500W max.

As always, I appreciate the input from TF!

Just use a 240/50 microwave. Only the timer and clock will be off. Probably find one that is 50/60 hz and 120/240v

Allot easier than what your considering.

I really don’t understand what you are trying to do? Why are you going to be a 240v only boat. Why can’t you be a 125/250v boat?

The boat has an autotransformer with a 28A max imbalance (continuous).

The marina includes electricity in the monthly moorage, so I heat the boat with 120V space heaters in the winter. These heaters cycle on/off with their thermostats, swinging the neutral imbalance around.

By controlling that swing on other appliances that aren't base load, I don't need to worry about overloading my AT while microwaving something if it is presenting a balanced load.

I suppose I could move the heaters to transformers and that would be a better solution.

It's far easier (and cheaper) to find 120v space heaters and appliances in North America,

One way to do this is to split the 125v panel so the microwave is getting its power from L2 while the heaters continue using the L1 source.

You could also parallel a second autotransformer to support a larger neutral imbalance.

You could also parallel a second autotransformer to support a larger neutral imbalance.
This is my eventual dream - plus a parallel Multiplus to double my charge/invert capacity!

Back
Top Bottom