1989 Bayliner 3888 MY Hino Engines need Info/Opinions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lots of great information specifically about Bayliners, and the Hino engines at the Bayliner Owners Club

baylinerownersclub.org

My thought is that the Hinos caught the flack when they basically under-powered the bigger boats with them resulting in a lot of re-powers because people wanted faster boats. In this size/setup it is perfect for trawler speed expectations.
See some of the typical chasing leaks at the window frames. Liked the walkout transom even more now that floating docks are becoming the norm.
A good survey will render a list of issues of that type. Price seems to indicate owner has taken them into consideration
One personal gripe was placing the switches on the flat portion of the lower helm. Think they should have been moved to a cabinet freeing up space for display screens.

I’ve seen this boat come up before. Its real issue is a wet stringer where the motor mount attaches. The required fix is removal of the engine. Cutting into the stringer, replacing the bad material, reglassing and reinstalling the engine.

One can choose not to repair the stringer but, you run the risk of the motor mount sagging. This could cause all kinds of expensive issues.

A repair quote would seem prident. Investigate the possibility of using the pour in compound used for transoms?

I’ve seen this boat come up before. Its real issue is a wet stringer where the motor mount attaches. The required fix is removal of the engine. Cutting into the stringer, replacing the bad material, reglassing and reinstalling the engine.

One can choose not to repair the stringer but, you run the risk of the motor mount sagging. This could cause all kinds of expensive issues.
I have thought of that to some degree. I am 5' 7" and 165 lbs. and squirrely LOL I have worked on HVAC systems on large boats in Key West and can get into some small spaces. But without having been in the ER of a boat of this type I don't know if its possible for me to do the job without pulling engine. But it is a thought , otherwise I will pull engine .I will be doing the work myself. It states in details a survey was done ,so I have reached out to them today to see if I can get a copy of it before I drive from upstate SC. to FL.

A repair quote would seem prident. Investigate the possibility of using the pour in compound used for transoms?
I have seen that in one YouTube video. I would have to call them to get specs for structural strength and compression strength and the adhesive capabilities to the remaining materials. But it is an idea, but whatever I do I want it to be a permanent one time fix.

Do you plan to insure the boat? It's probably a known problem to that boat and you may not be able to get insurance unless a qualified facility does the work.

If it were me, I would want to find out if the owner has insurance or the insurance company has refused to cover because of the engine stringer.

Ted

Do you plan to insure the boat? It's probably a known problem to that boat and you may not be able to get insurance unless a qualified facility does the work.

If it were me, I would want to find out if the owner has insurance or the insurance company has refused to cover because of the engine stringer.

Ted
Thanks for info, will be sure to find out.

Back
Top Bottom