$24 pump out? What?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That's not the answer to Mr. BD's question. It's exactly what he is commenting about.

Exactly. Crapping on streets and levels of state income taxes and the role of conservative media really have nothing to do with trawlers and boating. I have other places on the internet I deal with those topics. I come here to get away from that. Some people just can't help themselves.

BD

I think many of you are confusing NDZs with the three-mile rule. Inside three miles, no pumping overboard whether it is an NDZ or not.
IMO, if the govt mandates boaters comply with NDZ, it's incumbent on them to provide reasonable convenient ways for boaters to empty their holding tanks.

I think many of you are confusing NDZs with the three-mile rule. Inside three miles, no pumping overboard whether it is an NDZ or not.

Unless it's through a treatment system (type I or II MSD).

And of course some NDZs extend many times more than the 3 mile limit

Exactly. Crapping on streets and levels of state income taxes and the role of conservative media really have nothing to do with trawlers and boating. I have other places on the internet I deal with those topics. I come here to get away from that. Some people just can't help themselves.

BD

Even though TF is a boating forum and discourages political topics, some things between boating and politics are inextricably linked and should be discussed here. Not in a way that says I am right and you are wrong, but why can't we have civil discussions here about political issues that affect boaters? Why can't we be better than the general population and have meaningful discussions on a topic even if we are on different sides? That is what is supposed to make democracy great. People today are either too afraid to voice their opinion, or they can't do it in a civil way that is not offensive and pugnacious. Why can't we discuss things here like the push for green energy that affects most all of us who burn gas and diesel, without it becoming a fight about who's candidate is better? Maybe I'm overly optimistic, but I thought we as a boating community could be better than that.

Even though TF is a boating forum and discourages political topics, some things between boating and politics are inextricably linked and should be discussed here. Not in a way that says I am right and you are wrong, but why can't we have civil discussions here about political issues that affect boaters? Why can't we be better than the general population and have meaningful discussions on a topic even if we are on different sides? That is what is supposed to make democracy great. People today are either too afraid to voice their opinion, or they can't do it in a civil way that is not offensive and pugnacious. Why can't we discuss things here like the push for green energy that affects most all of us who burn gas and diesel, without it becoming a fight about who's candidate is better? Maybe I'm overly optimistic, but I thought we as a boating community could be better than that.
:thumb: Good idea. It is when the discussion is not the opinion of the writer that things go bad.

Last year Town Of Islip was $10.00. They pull up with a boat . 1 captain , 1 mate. They pump me out . They only took cash . I had a $50. I handed it to them . The Captain puts it in gear and was gone. I was expecting change .

Thought you were a good tipper...not unusual for guys to pass out 50s and 100s on the boaing scene.

To Slowgoesit I had to reread your holding tank capacity. 419 gallons is some pretty impressive capacity. If the US navy needs a new biological weapon to fight China they could send you to China and you could open up your ocean discharge.

A Type I or I MSD may not be discharged overboard in a no discharge zone. That's the point of a NDZ, no discharges at all.
Unless it's through a treatment system (type I or II MSD).

South of Annapolis a pumpout can be had for $5 at Hartge Yacht Harbor on the West River. Off the West River is the Rhode River Marina where they charge $15 but the fuel price there is generally good for this area. Plus, the Rhode River has several nice spots to anchor.

This was post #62.

I too read it in that it mean no treated discharge within 3 miles if not a NDZ. You are allowed treated discharge inside of 3 miles and some Inland waters if not an NDZ.

A Type I or I MSD may not be discharged overboard in a no discharge zone. That's the point of a NDZ, no discharges at all.

Correct. But when not in an NDZ, the 3 mile rule is for untreated discharge. You can discharge treated within 3 miles.

I really appreciate the way Solomons has a self serve pump out that Solly referred to. The best part is that you are not limited to the hours of operation of a manned unit, you can plan your pump out around your convenience, avoid windy docking conditions and you don't feel rushed that you are tying up a fuel dock operation. It is collocated with the town's public restrooms so it is great opportunity to grab flyers and learn about local events, dining options, etc. It is a smart way to encourage the use of holding tanks while also encouraging cruisers to patronize your port, including its businesses.

I believe most people who advocated for the creation of NDZ's do not understand onboard treatment systems, this is a whole different topic that has been discussed ad nauseum.

Ad nauseum because mostly NDZs don't affect most boaters.

The ones that bought TYPE 1 treatment systems are a terrible minority in that they are a fraction of boaters.... so it is a tiny, tiny segment of the population of recreational boaters to be regulated.

True.... its the commercial operators that are the ones probably being targeted. Treated cruise ship waste could be a problem in some NDZs, but the regs lump a small vessel of one or two crew together.

We aren't lumped together with Grey water under the clean water act, I really wonder why we can't be for treated waste under the same logic.

So "ad nauseum" isn't really applicable to those of us with type 1 systems, can't say for all but all the dialog to me let's al, boaters understand what to me seems an unfair law as NDZs proliferate.

Last edited:
Ad nauseum because mostly NDZs don't affect most boaters.

The ones that bought TYPE 1 treatment systems are a terrible minority in that they are a fraction of boaters.... so it is a tiny, tiny segment of the population of recreational boaters to be regulated.

True.... its the commercial operators that are the ones probably being targeted. Treated cruise ship waste could be a problem in some NDZs, but the regs lump a small vessel of one or two crew together.

We aren't lumped together with Grey water under the clean water act, I really wonder why we can't be for treated waste under the same logic.

So "ad nauseum" isn't really applicable to those of us with type 1 systems, can't say for all but all the dialog to me let's al, boaters understand what to me seems an unfair law as NDZs proliferate.

I completely agree, I didn't mean to say that it isn't a worth discussion to have, more that it is a whole subject on it's own, they are certainly interdependent but when it comes to marinas trying to operate and turn a profit during a relatively brief season, the regulations and resources for boaters are outside of the marina operators control.

I worked on charter fishing boats for years that ran out of Herring Bay, one of the first NDZ on the Chesapeake bay. Most of the boats had been fitted with Lectrasan units, otherwise the holding tanks to support a dozen (inspected vessels) or more guys drinking beer and urinating all day would have been pretty massive, especially considering that we ran multiple trips a day. I can speak from experience that we would make a passing remark at best to the customers to avoid using the head until we were out of Herring Bay, as most of our fishing was in the main body of the Chesapeake Bay, but we transited through Herring Bay at least twice each trip and frequently would stop to catch bottom fish either for bait or to augment the Rockfish (Striper) catch of the day.

Living in this area, I'm also very aware the most of the municipalities around the bay that have a combined sewer system where storm water and sanitary pipes are one in the same. This means that treatment plants are relatively frequently overrun during long periods of rain and untreated or not fully treated waste is dumped into the Bay.

Creating a NDZ is a very low cost way to claim you are "cleaning up the bay" whereas investing in infrastructure to upgrade our sanitary systems in a meaningful way that will actually lower the nutrients that are dumped into the bay is a very expensive endeavor. It is easy to see why politicians are quick to support the former option regardless of the end result.

Because 'conservative' media has been driven by nothing but fear mongering and sports team mentality for far too long. It goads their hapless followers into behaving like rabid spectators at some dumb-ass sporting event. All the while profiting mightily from advertising to them. Keeping them stoked on fear and peddle ads for junk to them is apparently quite profitable. And their viewer base has no idea how thoroughly they've been conned.

On the other hand, liberal viewers, and liberal media. Well, there just the bestests people in the whole world. And, all of them, so smart. :angel:

It has been my experience that most liberals and most conservatives are fine people but each group has their share of ....
On the other hand, liberal viewers, and liberal media. Well, there just the bestests people in the whole world. And, all of them, so smart. :angel:

To Slowgoesit I had to reread your holding tank capacity. 419 gallons is some pretty impressive capacity. If the US navy needs a new biological weapon to fight China they could send you to China and you could open up your ocean discharge.

I just measured the aft holding tank this morning. I thought it was 206 gallons, it is actually 253 gallons. I will measure the forward holding tank tomorrow

One of my homes is not far from St. Michaels. It's basically a tourist town that commands very high prices for everything because of the picture-book look of the place. Lots of DC tourist money keeps it going. Crazy hotel prices, nic nac shops, etc. Restaurants that are good-not-great. My wife loves it. I don't. My tastes run to more authentic waterside towns populated by real / normal local people. So it isn't surprising that a pumpout price is high.

In some ways its like Newport RI, only a lot smaller. I drove to Newport last year for a 3 day weekend. Hotel was basically a Holiday Inn level of place, on the harbor. Nothing at all special, except for the harbor location, but clean enough, etc. I paid more for that room than I did for a 4 star hotel on the Grand Canal in Venice the year before.

I don't blame these places for that. People pay the prices they ask and fill the place. If we are not willing to pay the prices, we can choose to go elsewhere.

I will note that St Michaels is a grand spot to watch 4th of July fireworks over the harbor. Sit on the grass on the point of the museum, listen to an orchestra play Big Band music, eat a crab cake and sip wine. For me, that's about the only time I enjoy going.

'

So how do you think they managed to not poop in the streets for 2 centuries and only now do they have to poop on the sidewalks?

You will get the behavior that you're willing to tolerate.

Here in Mission Bay, San Diego it's $50!

Here in Mission Bay, San Diego it's $50!

It's San Diego, what do you expect? You get what you are willing to tolerate as said in the previous post. Funny though that cost of living where I am is probably not much different than San Diego but we still have free pumpouts everywhere. Sounds like people are charging what they can get away with. At $50/pump, I would find other ways to empty my tank.

Backinblue, Love the words of wisdom!

“In my walks, every man I meet is my superior in some way, and in that I learn from him.” ― Ralph Waldo Emerson

Pump off

The federal government paid for pump off equipment through grants to help facilitate the clean water act.
The fee is supposed to be very affordable and not a money maker for business.

Pump out

Navionics says St Michael's marina in Maryland (Chesapeake bay) charges $24 for a pump out. Got to be a typo. We're from Florida. Seems the further you get from the ocean the more pump outs cost.
Whats the most you've ever paid for a pump out? Filling your boat with diesel doesn't count:)

I paid $1 per foot at Fort Lauderdale 15th st marina. Bahia Mar in Lauderdale would not pump out unless I was a slip holder. City of Lauderdale marina at Las Olas where I wintered with full cost slip because I was told each slip has a Pumpout station, never once worked.... most chesapeake marinas, by law, can not charge more than $7 if they used grants for their pump out facility. Most did. At Michaels marina repaid the grant just so that they can charge exorbitant fees for the cruising community. Locals know better and get pumped out elsewhere.

It is free at most Sacramento Delta marinas. But, we pay for it indirectly through our diesel and gasoline prices which seems equitable. There is a mobile service out of Stockton that charges from $50 to $100 depending on the season and holidays. They do a brisk business. Ironically, they get to discharge the waste for free at a marina in Stockton.

Back
Top Bottom