8d battery swap ms390

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tiz

has anyone extracted the 8d batteries on port side of single engine ms 390 and replaced with same? Im wondering if there is a good method.

Please, i dont need battery recommendations. Only response neede is ways to exchange same type.

--Kevin

1722277548510.jpeg

Tie rope on handles and heave ho. Best with two people.
A young buck could stand down there and lift out too.

That's the plan. Local boatyard seems to think its a big deal. I May conscript a great-nephew and his friend. I don't want to get anyone hurt or damage the boat

Put a sawhorse over it, and either get a couple of pulleys or come alongs, run 2 ropes down to the battery handles, put the sawhorse on a carpet or something that slides without harming the teak and holley sole, then drop it onto the floor, and muscle it off the boat. 8D's are a pain, but have been a staple for a long time for a reason!

Biggest problem is the outboard battery is too far back under the deck to reach the handle in any way to lift the battery. The inboard one will probably lift right out.

It looks like the outboard one can be lifted up and over the divider, maybe even forward (down on pic). It is that easy actually with two lads you are inviting.

Local boatyard seems to think its a big deal.

I removed both 8D's by myself. I installed 2 new 8D's by myself. I installed a new 4D starting battery on the Stbd side.....by myself. The boatyard guys are trying to pump up the labor costs.

Try broomstick thru handles w muscle on both ends. Better leverage than directly above it

I removed both 8D's by myself. I installed 2 new 8D's by myself. I installed a new 4D starting battery on the Stbd side.....by myself. The boatyard guys are trying to pump up the labor costs.
I'm 76 and did the same thing. Just do it in stages. Place something in bilge you can lift battery up on then lift to deck. Not fun but not a big deal especially if you have a "Young buck" to help you for a few minutes. Now replacing 12ea 8Ds in my 70fter was a bummer, had to use dingy davit to get up on boat then slide down stairs into engine room etc. But in the 350/390 it's not a big problem even for us old types LOL!

If they are AGM then no problem lifting one end first to slide over the edge. If FLA, I'd be careful about doing that.

Boatyard got it done. Fla's out, agm's in. All set. No way i could lift any of them.

--Kevin

Good for you!

I thought I could lift 65 pound golf cart batteries and I can. I can lift them out of my trunk and I can lift them into the boat. Both of course outside in free air with lots of room.

I can't lift them bent over in the engine room with lots of arm extension. I was happy to pay the guy who could - :)

not a big deal. i was 70 when i did it with the help of a 72 year old. a rope on each handle with both of you on the deck in the salon. the person furthest forward lifts first to get over the top of the battery box. then lift. re installing is just the reverse of removing except I was on the deck in the engine room to help guide them into the box. Now that I'm 75, the next time i do it will be with a couple of young guys and me supervising with a case of beer on ice as incentive

Back
Top Bottom