Air conditioner condensate line

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LindaFlorida

Veteran Member
Hello,

We own a 2009 34t Mainship.

I have a question regarding the condensate drain hose for both air conditioners. Both condensate drain hoses empty into the bilge area. The sitting water is creating a black mildew area, even after the bilge pump empties most of the water.

My question is; are the condensate drain hoses supposed to empty into the bilge area? I would think that they should empty to the outside of the boat some how. Possibly tied into the discharge of the air conditioner raw water line?

Thank you,
Linda

not sure where ours goes but i read that it should dump into the "box" which houses the drain pump for the shower sump. we have a pilot 34 and it is under the front of our (single) engine.

Two fixes, easy and more involved.

Easy, throw some air conditioner condensate tray tablets in the AC's try. They will cut down on the mold growth. I don't ever leave port in humid Florida without them and renew them in my home AC monthly.

More involved, run the tubes to your shower sump drain box where the automatic pump will handle it, BUT you should still maintain tablets in the drain pan at the AC.

Been there, done that, and been rained on when the AC tray over my head did not have tablets in it and thus plugged up and overflowed.

They usually do not go to overboard directly because the A/Cs may be below the waterline. So it is best to run them to the shower sump. You do have a shower sump don’t you? If you don’t then install one ASAP. You don’t want the shower draining into the bilge, it will cause a terrible stink.

Two of mine go to the bilge and one goes over the side. I so rarely run them in cooling mode so water is not an issue for me here in the PNW.

My boat spent 1/2 its life in LA so I suspect that the A/C units saw a lot of use then but no issues now.

Do not tie it into the cooling discharge. That is still under pump pressure and will push water into and over the pan. Preferred and correct method as others have identified is into the shower sump or if above waterline directly overboard. Usually that is not possible due to the unit location so installing a sump with pump that discharges above waterline is next best choice.

During my time on a big 2 pig boat, there was one bunk under a HUGE condensate pan. Once in a while it got "plugged" (hmmm). When boat took a big up or down angle..........

81B7Hmwt93L._AC_SX569_.jpg

I've also used bromine tablets sold for hot tubs and pools. Don't use chlorine though!

I am not sure about your a/c drainage setup but I am thinking the salon a/c drain goes over board from the fiberglass box in the engine room. This box houses the a/c/unit.. The state room a/c which in my case ,mainship 34 FB,is located under the bed and should go to the sump. I am sure you have one? One note , the drain line from the stateroom A/C needs to be down hill from the A/C box to the sump box.

Linda
Here are 2 pics of my AC drain... 1 from bottom, 1 from side of the fiberglass enclosure. They T together and run to the fwd most thru hull of the group of 4 on port side just aft of the bulkhead between ER and gen/ lazarette.
The access is behind the gen over to where the water htr & mufflers are located

Attachments

• 20240629_093803.jpg
    20240629_093803.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 5
  • 20240629_093755.jpg
    20240629_093755.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 5
Back
Top Bottom