AIS Pros & Cons?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's only really going to be the best safety gear since radar if EVERYONE has it and has it turned on.

Radar pretty much sees all.

Some people are afraid someone going to track them.
I don't know why. :rofl:

I know some people who run with their radar turned off,

Last edited:
My AIS installer does not recommend posting a pic of your boat for security reasons.
In salt water that makes sense due to pirates and kidnapping.

I found that Garmin have the instructions on their site. Have to wait til Monday for the unit to arrive. Mean time, find the best place to install it. I know it has internal GPS but I think I will add its own external one.

Garmin (possibly other brands) has the ability to wire in a switch to go into silent mode where you will still receive but not transmit. If people are worried about being stalked/tracked, go silent until you need to have it turned on (fog, narrow channels, blind corners, etc).

I see you are not sharing your location with the forum. :rofl:

The problem with not posting a pic, is that someone else can post a pic and you can't remove it. We had our boat about 1 year and a pic appeared on Vesselfinder from some photographer who lived on Bainbridge Island, WA. I can't take it down . . . But the pic is really nice, with the Olympics in the background . . . .

One of the DIY entries that can be made on the AIS is to turn off the unit from seeing your vessel. I don't know why seeing oneself is ever required. If it isn't turned off, a vessel with your name will approach from behind and jump on top of you every 30 seconds. Frustrating to have to turn that feature off.

I turn my car's headlights on to see what's out in the dark. I can turn them off should I get paranoid about others seeing me. You know, like pirates, the government, boogie monsters. :rofl:

I know some people who run with their radar turned off,

I fit in both those categories

We do have "secret spots" that can only be accessed on certain tides and with local knowledge
I don't have AIS on when going in as I want these places to myself

And we don't run radar on clear days - I prefer to look around and enjoy the view vs look at a screen covered in green blobs

The problem with not posting a pic, is that someone else can post a pic and you can't remove it. We had our boat about 1 year and a pic appeared on Vesselfinder from some photographer who lived on Bainbridge Island, WA. I can't take it down . . . But the pic is really nice, with the Olympics in the background . . . .

Agree. Someone did that to us on Marinetraffic when we first got the boat. I didn't mind so much except that they posted a picture of a SAILBOAT :eek::eek:

I posted another picture and contacted the website. They never replied but over time my photo came to the front. The other photo is still there, permanently.

BD

When we have crew have repeatedly run into folks getting screen hypnosis. They’d take information from the screen as being more reliable than their 5 senses. Or more commonly having heir head in the screen instead of frequently looking, listening, feeling, smelling around. When they say you’re taking a watch it means you watch. It means you watch all 360 degrees.
On sail watching 360 is easy. You’re in an open cockpit so just turn your head. On power it can be more difficult as your view aft maybe obstructed. It’s what’s coming at you from behind that can be neglected. It here AIS and radar are very helpful but they don’t replace eyeballs. If it’s cold or wet outside you’re less inclined to look.
All single inputs can be misleading. You can get a radar return glitch or fantom or it’s orientation maybe incorrect. It can miss a target.
Your gps can be degraded. Your chart incorrect. Even your depth can be wrong from air bubbles/turbulence , debris, thermoclimes.
So the prudent navigator wants two inputs that are congruent. Your 5 senses can be one of those. Also your need to get your damn head out of the screen. What’s on the screen isn’t reality. It’s second order information.
Screen hypnosis isn’t just an AIS issue. It’s an issue for everything on any screen. I have a host of stories where screen hypnosis could have lead to disastrous results which were fortunately avoided by using your 5 senses.

Last edited:
Screen hypnosis? Yeah, I've seen that. Nowadays the screen in question is usually a cell phone. But I digress.

The problem isn't adding AIS data to the screen. The problem is not looking up from the screen and out the window.

But while we're on this subject, it should be pointed out that sometimes your screens are all you have. In fog, you need to trust your instruments. You develop that trust over time, by using them when visibility is good. This goes for all the instruments, from your oil pressure gauge to your MFD. You need to know what you can (and can't) trust them to tell you.

Before someone else points this out, yes, you can and should still use your senses of sight, hearing and smell, even in fog. I try to avoid navigating by touch though.

IMO, AIS will eventually be required about the time something better comes along.

As I posted before..... AM/VHF radios have been around for the 60 years of boating I have been doing and they are still not required until you get to 65 feet.

AIS has been reviewed as required equipment several times already and still under 65 feet and some commercial vessels have been excluded both times I know of.

Last edited:
Having flown a lot, instruments are very important, but situational awareness a must. Same goes on the water. That's why I'm adding AIS to my arsenal of infomation.

Adding a Transceiver -
Pro- others will see you even in poor visibility
Con - government will use it against you if you wander into a restricted area.

Right now Canada is issuing fines to any AIS target that wanders into a whale zone. No transceiver, no fine.

There is a zone for Orcas adjacent to the SW coast of N Pender Island. I listen to my ch 16 and frequently hear the Victoria Coast Guard radio call AIS pleasure boats who have strayed into that zone. They are always told that they are in a restricted zone and asked to leave. They are NEVER threatened with a fine for being there. I have watched on my Boatbeacon app and haven't seen any remain in the zone after being asked to leave.
Do the Coast Guard ever issue a fine? I doubt it. Can they? If they are in the zone, their mandate is SAR. They won't be violating the zone to chase you.

If you are encountered by an RCMP boat who has seen you in a restricted zone, would you get a fine or be politely told where you are and asked to leave? I think the latter.

Those zones appear on your electronic charts as little yellow symbols. Check them out and stay out of those zones.

There is a zone for Orcas adjacent to the SW coast of N Pender Island. I listen to my ch 16 and frequently hear the Victoria Coast Guard radio call AIS pleasure boats who have strayed into that zone. They are always told that they are in a restricted zone and asked to leave. They are NEVER threatened with a fine for being there. I have watched on my Boatbeacon app and haven't seen any remain in the zone after being asked to leave.
Do the Coast Guard ever issue a fine? I doubt it. Can they? If they are in the zone, their mandate is SAR. They won't be violating the zone to chase you.

If you are encountered by an RCMP boat who has seen you in a restricted zone, would you get a fine or be politely told where you are and asked to leave? I think the latter.

Those zones appear on your electronic charts as little yellow symbols. Check them out and stay out of those zones.

There is a department in Canada that uses civilians on pender island to report vessels in the restricted zone. At first they only sent out threatening letters. This summer they actually sent out a fine. I got this data from a representative of the
Waggoner Publication. What legal enforcement for collecting the fine is unknown to me. In all known cases AIS was the cited evidence.

We have AIS now on our trawler and had it on our sailboat, which we had in the Caribbean for 3 years. Love having it. We can call boats ahead of time for crossing or overtaking situations, etc. We are more visible to everyone coming our way - less chance of an accident.

Transceiver! If looping or running rivers towboat/barge combinations can surprise you at a bend. Hailing them is a breeze when you see their vessel name. In the southern states often the captain can be a bit hard to understand due to local dialects! They'll hail you and you're golden if you recognize you own name!

After I read the final investigation of USCGC Winslow Griesser (WPC 1116) and the 23-foot vessel Desakata fatality it really stuck with me that the CGC had turned off their AIS transmit and it appears the FV did not transmit. Yes 23ft is small, but transmitting is possible. But somebody died because neither vessel knew the other was close by. I installed receive/transmit AIS shortly after buying our boat. No downside to using AIS transceiver. Note - some folks are concerned about privacy. From open sources people can find you, your email/phone, property you own, corporations you are involved in and all of your relatives and neighbors. There is no such thing as privacy. If you are worried about the CG finding you in a regulated area, maybe you should not be there? Again no downside.

AIS Pros & Cons

It is a very important safety device. Being able to identify other vessels, their course and other information and being able to contact them by name has helped us in a number of critical of situations. Like radar, I would not leave home without it. I would feel very exposed if doing serious cruising, particularly in situations of limited visibility. The downside is the risk of becoming overly dependent on it. You cannot rely on only one source of information. Most all units allow you to go into stealth mode so other vessels cannot see you. But, why would you want to do that unless you are a racing sailboat wanting to disguise your tactics? I want to see other vessels and I want them to see me.

AIS can be a major safety device with no cons.
Depending on your location and conditions, it has become almost necessary in high-traffic areas. Many commercial boat drivers have become dependent on AIS at the expense of visual awareness. An AIS helps the other guy see you. At night or in limited visibility it is definitely a game changer. AIS gives you instant speed, course, and CPA for other vessels. It also gives you the vessel name so that you contact them on the radio or they can call you. In GIWW where there is a lot of tow traffic, it gives you the ability to make arrangements to meet oncoming traffic before you see them in a blind bend where there is no room to maneuver.
I have been using AIS for over 10 years and it has made my life simpler and safer.

Last edited:
I have Raymarine Axiom 12 that came with the boat when purchased in 2020.
No Autopilot, no AIS. For our Great Loop starting the next May 2021, I added AIS receive with Raymarine's VHF73. It was great especially in places like NYC and going up the Hudson, where many of the ATONs are AIS equipped. (I also added Autopilot).

On the rivers south of Chicago, it did not take me long to realize I wanted AIS Transmit as well. Having other vessels call me up on the radio BY NAME is extremely valuable. Seeing tows "around the corner" on windy rivers, before you can see them or before they appear on radar is incredible. Being able coordinate passing with large tows on the rivers is very valuable.

I selected the Em-Trak B924 ... the WiFi is nice so in the mornings, while having my coffee in the salon, I can see if there is any commercial traffic approaching the lock that I'm near. I don't have to go upstairs to the helm to see what's happening on AIS. I also did not want to add a THIRD VHF antenna to the boat, so the model I selected has a built in antenna sharing capability with one of the VHF radios.

There is a simple NMEA 2000 adapter cable that goes between the Raymarine network and the Em-Track B924.
FMI:
https://shellerina.com/2023/09/19/ais-ing-again/

There is even a phenomenon called VIRTUAL ATONs... They are rare. I've seen only one. Basically it puts an additional "buoy" on the chart plotter via AIS where there is NO actual buoy!!! It was very bizarre the one time I saw it. But I googled around, and learned that it IS an actual thing that the Coast Guard deploys in certain places.

I think the logic is this, many times a single ATON (red or green) is adequate, but two ATONs would be better. It does not "cost" anything to add a second VIRTUAL ATON to pair up with the first one in certain situations where it makes sense. The AIS transmitter on the one real buoy is simply sending out two beacons with the Lat/Long and other info for the second.

Last edited:
We've had that set-up for several years. It's a real benefit. Wouldn't go without it now.

I just bought a Helmsman that has AIS. My previous boat did not. Though not spectacular, it’s very good for seeing commercial traffic. Few recreational boats use it.
It also broadcasts your position so that other AIS equipped boats know who and where you are.
Knowing what I know now, if my new boat did not include AIS, I’d add it.

]

There is even a phenomenon called VIRTUAL ATONs... They are rare. I've seen only one. Basically it puts an additional "buoy" on the chart plotter via AIS where there is NO actual buoy!!! It was very bizarre the one time I saw it. But I googled around, and learned that it IS an actual thing that the Coast Guard deploys in certain places.

I think the logic is this, many times a single ATON (red or green) is adequate, but two ATONs would be better. It does not "cost" anything to add a second VIRTUAL ATON to pair up with the first one in certain situations where it makes sense. The AIS transmitter on the one real buoy is simply sending out two beacons with the Lat/Long and other info for the second.

Pretty common place in our part of the world in risky areas - bar crossings, reef etc
They are a handy extra, but we always have the latest routes pre marked anyway, but the atons are a confirmation

On bar crossings they are a guide
Real life wave action on the day dictates the course.

Last edited:
No cons, except for those who are fishing and don't want to reveal their position.

Pros -- my Furuno is set up to show me a ten minute line for me and the targets. If the lines intersect at the same percentage of their length, we have a problem -- very easy to see.

I can call ships by name on 13 and ask what they would like me to do. They can call me by name if they would like to know what I'm doing.

Highly recommended.

Jim

I and thinking of adding an AIS transceiver or receiver. Being able to add that to your chart plotter and radar seems like a good idea.

Pros and cons anyone? Have you added AIS?

Zero cons. Can see boats out of eye site and in the dark and allows others to see you if god forbid your boat should have a problem and you loose communication you can be located. I would never cruise without it.

I added a transceiver. The extra cost for me wasn't much. I purchased an EM-trak with wifi & bluetooth. I use it on a Samsung tablet with Navionics.

Seeing the pros & cons in other comments, the unit I purchased (and I think most if not all EM-trak units) show how to install with a "silent switch." So you can turn on the switch to have a receive only.

...In the southern states often the captain can be a bit hard to understand due to local dialects! They'll hail you and you're golden if you recognize you own name!

LOL, yeah, it takes some getting used to. The TennTom has a dialect all their own. But those Southern accents are so catchy! By the time I reach Mobile I'm starting to sound just like the rest of 'em.

They're starting to replace all the old RACON buoys with virtual buoys around here. These are often at the center of a traffic separation scheme. The Portland, Maine "P" buoy was switched over this year I think. I'll miss painting the buoy with my radar and seeing a morse code letter on my screen, but the AIS signals are actually a lot better, if not as much fun.

I am now educated and wiser … two years ago I trespassed the whale zone up by Pender. The Canadian authorities arrived promptly and politely set me straight. I have AIS receive only, no transmitter yet. I was told that the people along the coast do indeed act as spotters, and they are diligent. I assume some even use a spotting scope to ascertain both vessel and hailing port. I now have updated chart information and respect the boundary.

The only real CON I see to an AIS receiver is that it could become like ADSB in aircraft. Some pilots rely in it so much they do not look out the window, and think there are no aircraft in the sky that do not have ADSB.

Sort of like GPS, people totally rely on it and do not check their position to verify the GPS.

M

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom