Alaskan Considering a Tolly 37'

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alaskasail

As a sailor and professional mariner for many years, I sold my 50' cutter in Mexico last year, but am Jonesing for another boat. I've always liked the Tollycrafts and located a 37' Sedan for a reasonable price (I think). It is not ideal with the two gas guzzling 350s and fairly sparce accouterments. However, it is clean, solid and affordable. In addition, it doesn't have sails which I love, but can't handle anymore.

I'm close to the purchase so if there is anything I should know about this model, jump in here and/or PM me with your thoughts.

If I buy it, I'll become a regular here. I know a fair amount about S.E. Alaska and may be a god resource.

Thanks,

Andy

Welcome aboard. Tolleys are a good boat in general. I am not familiar with that model but it should be as good as any Tolley. Good luck.

TF member screen name "Art" is the long term owner of a gas powered Tolley and loves it. If he doesn`t post in response, send him a PM (private message) asking for advice.

I sold a Tolly 37 with diesels in Juneau last year. If the one you’re looking at is the one for sale in Juneau, it’s a down galley model, and mine was an up galley, but it is a solid boat. Send me a private message if I can answer any specific questions.

A neighbor had a 37' Tolly with 454's. They used the boat a lot and really liked it, so much so that they repowered it with new 454 Crusaders when the OEM engines got tired. Solid boat.

You already know the problem, the gassers..

pete

The gas engines are not a problem provided the entire fuel system passes muster with appropriate fixes addressed.

The gas engines are not a problem provided the entire fuel system passes muster with appropriate fixes addressed.

Agreed. If they're the fairly common low output 454s (the Crusader versions are 350hp and listed as "model 350"), they're thirsty fuel-wise, but fairly durable, and given a good ignition system and good maintenance, they should be quite reliable. The higher fuel burn, need for ignition protected components in the engine room, and the mild paranoia needed around fuel related things are the primary downsides relative to a diesel boat. But the buy-in will be cheaper.

You don't say what year the Tolly you're looking at is. I had an early 70's 40 ft Tolly. The AC wiring was all romex style and had to be replaced for safety along with all of the breakers, outlets etc. The DC wiring was stranded but not tinned and much of it needed replacement also. Big jobs both.

Agreed. If they're the fairly common low output 454s (the Crusader versions are 350hp and listed as "model 350"), they're thirsty fuel-wise, but fairly durable, and given a good ignition system and good maintenance, they should be quite reliable. The higher fuel burn, need for ignition protected components in the engine room, and the mild paranoia needed around fuel related things are the primary downsides relative to a diesel boat. But the buy-in will be cheaper.

This is a twin 350 model built in 1978. Any idea of the fuel curve? I hear that at 1.500 rpm they aren't too bad.

This is a twin 350 model built in 1978. Any idea of the fuel curve? I hear that at 1.500 rpm they aren't too bad.

Confirm whether they mean 350 small blocks (which will likely be 250 - 270hp each) or if they mean the Crusader "350", which is a 350hp 454 (those were the most common gas engine in the Tolly 37 from what I know).

I've got a slightly larger boat with twin 454s, and we slow cruise at or just under 1300 rpm for around 6.5 kts on average at about 5 gal/hr (total). Fuel burn on plane is much higher. 3200 rpm gets us about 17 kts, but at ~30 gal/hr (total).

Tolly 37 is a great model

You can find a lot of information on the Tollycraft Boat Club website:Tollyclub.com. The Tolly 37 is one of the most sought after models. Tollycrafts are well made boats and extremely popular in the Pacific Northwest. Most 37s had gas engines but some came with diesels. I believe the 37s were made from 1973-1985. I had Tollycrafts for 25 years and now own a Nordic Tug 32.

I don't know anything about that model Tolly, but for what it's worth: My father worked as a marine surveyor all over Alaska for 30 years and he always said Tolly's were good, reliable boats. He knew plenty of horror stories over the years, so I took that to be good testimony. Good luck!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom