Another new start for Helmsman

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Doug, that looks great.

As jealous as I am, I'll have my own soon enough.

As for the list, add more bottles of rum to the cabinet by the day head. That should do the trick. :)

The tanks are a little out of balance. We switched tanks and it should start to level out on the trip home. We're going to add fuel in Edmonds and we'll keep an eye on it. Scott says there is a natural tendency to list to starboard because of the heavy countertops.

We noticed the same, and addressed it through fuel balancing, also. The two isolation transformers are also on the starboard side. That would also probably contribute, though the hot water tank is on the port side and should offset the IT’s to some degree.

My boat also has a list to starboard and is most pronounced with a full water tank and empty holding tank for obvious reasons. I just wasn't sure if it was a normal thing for a Helmsman, but if it is a tendency because of countertops or transformers, you'd think they would have addressed that in the design. My guess is that various tank levels could cause it, but I don't know anything about their locations.

Certain designs just run out of enough heavy stuff to move around for perfect balance. Depending on the boat and how it reacts (performance-wise) to extra weight, you might be able to solve it with a couple hundred pounds of ballast.

My own boat could really use either some heavier stuff moved to starboard (but that's easier said than done) or some trim ballast. It's always had a slight list to port, as the original design of this boat had the galley to starboard. During the production run they changed the layout and put the galley on the port side. Turns out that the galley, the water heater, and the on-deck wet bar collectively weigh more than the generator and the starboard side seating, so the boat ended up with a slight list. It pretty much goes away if you have a couple guests aboard though, as both above and below deck there's more seating on the starboard side than the port side.

My boat also has a list to starboard and is most pronounced with a full water tank and empty holding tank for obvious reasons. I just wasn't sure if it was a normal thing for a Helmsman, but if it is a tendency because of countertops or transformers, you'd think they would have addressed that in the design. My guess is that various tank levels could cause it, but I don't know anything about their locations.

There is a port side and a starboard fuel tank that are not interconnected. There is also a port and a starboard water tank which is interconnected. Running with a slightly lower amount of fuel in the starboard tank corrected it for me. Something to consider as you use the boat.

A truly beautiful boat. Many happy mile ahead of you…

Tomorrow Alba Bella will begin her voyage with us after an unexpected odyssey without us. It was well worth the wait.

28403-albums1128-picture7980.jpeg

28403-albums1128-picture7981.jpeg

28403-albums1128-picture7964.jpeg

Beautiful all around! Same list in Kiskadee, with full fuel tanks. So, plan to use fuel from the starboard tank first, and then switch tanks as needed to keep her level.
I'm looking forward to seeing the new 38E's at the May rendezvous, and meeting all of you. I think we'll have lots to talk about as you learn your new rides.
Congrats!!

Hello Helmsman Team, Bon Voyage!

Final update from EmBark, Hull #51.

As the commissioning process came to an end, I look back at all that was accomplished with great admiration. It’s been an awesome learning experience as the team ran through the systems and tested each component teaching me along the way. My biggest challenge through this process was trying to stay out of their way and my greatest asset was supporting the team with morning coffee and doughnuts.

I’ll miss the daily interactions with the team after leaving the “Helmsman port” at Lake Union, but I also know they are only a phone call away if I should have just one more question.

Prior to leaving port, Doug, Patty and I took the team out for dinner and drinks and had a great Thank You! dinner in Seattle. At noon the next day, I left with my brother Steve as first-mate from Lake Union to Port Townsend where we stopped for the night. Rick and Nancy joined us to welcome us to their home port while they await their 38E scheduled for April.

The next morning watching the sun rise in slip 20, we brewed a cup of BlackDog Estates coffee and challenged each other to daily Wordle wake up game. Sitting in the Solan I got it in 2!. It was my first morning on board and I woke up in the Wordle answer. It was “YACHT”. How appropriate!

After some Java and a big breakfast, we headed north to the home port of Henry Island near Roche Harbor, WA.

It was an awesome two days of sunshine and calm waters with a few hours of headwinds 2-3 foot seas and steady she went.

We arrived at Henry to pick up Jill only to find all 6 island residents at the dock awaiting our arrival with chase boats in tow and high-fives at the dock.
I think our friends and neighbors were just as excited as we were.

Closing the book on Chapter 1, The Build.

This morning, I realize we are now opening Chapter 2, The Journey.

Waking up, I looked up the legalities of cloning, but found the ability to grasp the DNA embedded within the Helker family and their staff to delight the customer and build an extremely top-notch quality product that they and their customers are so proud of - is unfortunately prohibited by law.
Cloning isn’t yet legal for humans, but I wish at least I could pass on their level of care, enthusiasm, pride and competency to all marine service companies. As a boat owner for 37 years, no one comes close.

I’m totally confident that things will go smoothly for our summer explorations. I just need to get enough hours on her to change the oils in short term, fill the tanks, pack the fishing gear, attend the Helmsman rendezvous and head north into our retirement dream.

After Jill and I worked 35+ years each, we actually feel a bit guilty of not deserving this incredible vessel, the Helmsman 38E.

Thank you Scott, Van, Lisa, Gary, Kinani, Wilson (big kudos to the manufacturing team!), Kevin, Eddie and Patrick, Mark and Opel, Bryce, and Margaux for making our dreams come true. We are very proud to be a part of the Helmsman family.

Bon Voyage EmBark with your beautiful classic lines, stately appointments and world-class craftsmanship. We are going to have such fun and make new memories together.

Calling all Helmsmans, come join us*.
Tom, Jill and Lilly

*Ps, Scott thinks my oversized hawser line mooring cradle with the Vulcan will hold many Helmsmans rafted on anchor easily. I say let’s go and try it.

Doug provided the bon voyage photo as we embarked and deporting from the Helmsman port.

Rick provided the passing picture of Embark leaving of Port Townsend.

Now she’s tucked away at her homeport in Roche Harbor.

Attachments

• bon voyage2.jpg
    bon voyage2.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 39
  • on our way.jpg
    on our way.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 39
  • home CnP.jpg
    home CnP.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 56
So very well said.

Congratulations again.

Congratulations to you and taking the next step with the 38! My wife and I (from Long Island Sound) take delivery of ours in Jan/Feb - the 38 Pilothouse. Look forward to meeting you and everyone else at the Rendezvous.

We'll be the ones staying at the hotel, walking the docks, waiting for the invite to board everyone's Helmsmans, ha!

Greg and Alison

After a long wait and through commissioning, finally EmBark on her way home. Hope to see you on the water in September after our 46 is commissioned. Congratulations!!

Look what I saw when I was running along the cut today!

IMG_0975.jpg

Look what I saw when I was running along the cut today!

Thanks for the great photo. We haven’t seen much of the starboard side. It was quite a day. Gary Buck showed us the ropes through the locks, pun intended. We dropped him in Shilshole, grabbed some fuel, and motored on to Edmonds where we has dinner with family. Tomorrow, we’re off to La Conner, where they have been calling it our “imaginary boat”. We had lots of compliments from the boat watchers at the locks. Someone asked if it was a Selene. I proudly said it’s a Helmsman.

After visiting seven countries, two oceans, five states and transiting the Panama Canal twice, Alba Bella arrived home in Shelter Bay. It couldn’t have been a better day on the water today. We had clear skies and calm seas. Now we can see her from our house.

28403-albums1128-picture7985.jpeg

Welcome home to the PNW, fair craft. What an adventure you (and your owners) have had.

Beautiful boat.

Now that we’re finally in our slip, we are wondering how the other builds are going. Things have been quiet on this thread since we arrived home and we have been very busy with last minute enhancements.

Having the boat a few hundred feet from the house has really made our final move in very easy. We seem to be getting more organized every day. There is so much storage.

We had the pleasure on Sunday of having dinner in La Conner with Bob and Betsy, the owners of Knowing Blue who docked overnight on their way back to Lake Union. Helmspeople seem to be especially nice, a selling point we were unaware of when we decided to buy.

On Monday we completed the required transmission fluid change. Because the Reverso valves were not labeled, Scott offered to help trace the lines to the correct sumps. We wound up having to test the valves with the engine and generator drain line valves closed. Logically, the transmission valve was the center one, aft of the engine and forward of the generator. Now we’re good to go. I can’t thank Scott enough for coming up to La Conner on his first day back from vacation.

Yesterday we got the StarLink up and running after receiving a replacement kit. It turned out the original power supply was the defective component so we didn’t have to replace the dish or the cable. We were getting 176 MB downloads in our marina. We installed one of the two Arlo security cameras and now have some peace of mind about intrusion. I can’t stop from taking an occasional peek at the boat when we’re not down in the marina.

We hope to get the snap davits for the dinghy installed this week. We plan to do some practice cruising after this weekend’s forecast wet weather.

We have had a steady stream of friends and neighbors dropping by to see the boat. Today I looked forward from the pilot house to see some people I didn’t know standing and admiring the marina’s newest boat.

We have a haul out scheduled in two weeks to have the hull detailing done for the ceramic coating. Eddie Legard is coming up to replace a defective AIS transceiver.

Our impression after almost one month of being aboard the boat and the trip up from Seattle is that we made a lot of great decisions, starting with ordering the perfect boat. We’re anxious to get back out on the water and we can’t wait for the rendezvous in May.

I think Hold Fast is the next 43 in line. Photos are showing the majority of the woodwork done in the salon and I think we’ll get some equipment installed shortly. We also found out this morning that a hard top is now an option on the 43 flybridge. That should make for a really clean look. We are impatiently waiting. We’ll be at the rendezvous and looking forward to learning how you’ve all set up your boats. Only a few more months until we get ours…

"Now that we’re finally in our slip, we are wondering how the other builds are going."

Our current best guess is an arrival on the Chesapeake in early to mid May.

Its been several years since the serious shopping began, through a selection and order. Patience is about to be rewarded.

Interesting product and better protected that those which just “hang down”. What is the cost of the product? Is it connected via NMEA2000, 0183, or OneNet? Thank you.

Sorry about the time delay here - I guess I didn't have notifications set up correctly. ��

It's a standalone system with Transducer Module, Power Module and Processing Computer normally integrated into the bridge displays via regular PC video output (HDMI or DP). We're not (yet) integrated in any MFDs unless then can handle a normal video input. So it's common to integrate the FarSounder into a standalone display on the bridge or to use a KVM switch. Input from other sensors is via NMEA 0183 over serial or via ethernet (TCP or UDP).

There are some installation examples some different vessels available: https://www.farsounder.com/installation including a Nordhavn-120 (that's an Argos 500 though - it's a little bigger and longer rage, 500m vs 350m).

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry about the time delay here - I guess I didn't have notifications set up correctly. ��

It's a standalone system with Transducer Module, Power Module and Processing Computer normally integrated into the bridge displays via regular PC video output (HDMI or DP). We're not (yet) integrated in any MFDs unless then can handle a normal video input. So it's common to integrate the FarSounder into a standalone display on the bridge or to use a KVM switch. Input from other sensors is via NMEA 0183 over serial or via ethernet (TCP or UDP).

There are some installation examples some different vessels available: https://www.farsounder.com/installation including a Nordhavn-120 (that's an Argos 500 though - it's a little bigger and longer rage, 500m vs 350m).

Thank Heath! I will take a look at it.

Having owned a Helmsman 38E for a bit, one thing comes to mind that may be a suggestion a future new build may want to consider. If I were building a 38E today, I would think about changing the layout of the day head. I would consider eliminating the ER door, and place the toilet there. I would then expand and center the sink where the toilet and sink are right now. That would preclude putting a W/D in place of the door, so if you ever think you want to add a W/D that wouldn’t be possible.

I am not sure if the plumbing layout for the shower drain would permit that, but might be worth pursuing with the Helmsman team.

Just a thought to pass along to those still in the options phase.

Engine Vent Covers for winter layover-- Anyone have pictures of what they have set up to cover their engine vents?

I think Hold Fast is the next 43 in line. Photos are showing the majority of the woodwork done in the salon and I think we’ll get some equipment installed shortly. We also found out this morning that a hard top is now an option on the 43 flybridge. That should make for a really clean look. We are impatiently waiting. We’ll be at the rendezvous and looking forward to learning how you’ve all set up your boats. Only a few more months until we get ours…

Wow, a hard top! That would be good looking, What did you finally decide on solar panels for Hold Fast? That may be something we decide to do down the road a little.

We were able to fit five panels for about 900 watts. And I’m thinking the flybridge rendering for the 46 is about what the 43 will look like with the hardtop. Will see soon I hope…

We were able to fit five panels for about 900 watts. And I’m thinking the flybridge rendering for the 46 is about what the 43 will look like with the hardtop. Will see soon I hope…

I am curious.

Would a hardtop be hinged at the attachment to the arch? So that it could all pancake or scissor down as the arch is hinged down to lower the air draft?

Or does it become a fixed combo arch and hardtop, giving up the ability to lower it all?

It’s a fixed combo arch. No hinging. The renderings Scott Helker sent look really nice. Glad the timing worked out serendipitously.

We also heard the five solar panel option didn’t come to fruition. However they will be installing three 225 watt panels. Probably close enough.

Finally, I was wrong about our boat being next. There’s one boat ahead of ours. And the photos we received today looked like we’re pretty close to getting machinery installed. Can’t wait…

NSM, thanks for clarifying.

The hardtop would be pretty appealing to many I would think. However, in the mid-atlantic and south, air draft can be a big deal with more bridges than in the PNW.

And for someone with an ambition to do the Loop this would likely not work, and possibly impact resale values due to that. In the PNW it would be terrific.

Thanks for that.

I'm kinda right there with you on the delivery schedule, for my 38 to the east coast.

For lower clearance areas, I've wondered what some of the Helmsmans would look like if you went the opposite route. Just shave the flybridge and arch off entirely, and leave the big roof open for dinghy storage, solar panels, radar mounting, etc. Of course if you keep a dinghy up there, you'd need to elevate the radar a bit to get above it, but without a flybridge you don't have to get it a full person-height off the deck.

Before Off Leash fell into our lap last summer we were contemplating having Scott build a 38e for us without the flybridge, since we are in the PNW and it is too cold to use 90+% of the time. This would involve moving the radar mast forward, maybe even onto the pilothouse roof and would make for a magnificent “upstairs patio” for the nice days at anchor or at the dock—where you are using the flybridge most of the time. I mocked it up and I gotta say, it is a terrific looking boat with a lower profile and a more balanced mass. Lots of room for toys. Hopefully someday there will be a new PNW-specific model of the 38. But I gotta believe Helmsman already has its hands full dealing with current orders, expansion of their sedan line and the new and very exciting 46.

BTW, we spent last weekend knocking around the Sound with the boat. The boat performed flawlessly, unlike the new dog we have. I made the mistake of locking her in the forward stateroom so she would not be underfoot as we pulled away from the dock. Apparently, thrusters are scary. Redefined “losing her s**t”, with some pee mixed in for good measure. Won’t do that again. You will not see this dog at the Rendezvous, until next year when she is fully acclimated. Still a puppy and needs work.

Finally, as I have posted before, I am reminded that there are four seasons in the PNW: summer (starts July 5th), fall (ends in late October), winter, and disappointment. One good day as a teaser of wonderful things to come and then, like the dog, the weather went to poo. Back to California to watch the snow melt into floods.

See many of you next month in Port Townsend.

Jeff

Back
Top Bottom