Bayliner 4788 Exhaust spray can curiosity question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fryedaze

Guru
Vessel Name
Fryedaze
Vessel Make
MC 42 (Overseas Co) Monk 42
I was in a Bayliner 4788 ER with a 6BTA 370 hp Cummins and observed the exhaust set up. I have searched the internet to figure how it works and cant find and diagrams of the internals on the spray can. The exhaust inlet to the can is at the same level as the turbo. How does this device prevent water from going back into the turbo?? I have attached pictures. Really curious what the internals look like.
Dave

Attachments

• PXL_20240718_190702761.jpg
    PXL_20240718_190702761.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 40
  • 42450.jpeg
    42450.jpeg
    106.5 KB · Views: 39
  • 42451.jpeg
    42451.jpeg
    94.9 KB · Views: 41
I have same kind just different mounting. Had the same thought. The large cylinder has the exhaust pipe inside so the water can only go out when it mixes. The water seems to cool the outside as I have not seen any heat signs.

The heat marks on the can indicate a baffle welded inside. That presumably guides the cooling water. I also assume there’s a stand pipe inside for the exhaust to go up to the upper area of the can. What the stand pipe looks like is the real question as it has to have some way to shed water.
If the water passages are only around the outer edge, a simple cap over the stand pipe will be ok.

Assuming the turbo discharges into a standpipe that goes up the center of the can and then the spray ring rains down around that standpipe. That would mean the spray ring could fail and dump back into the turbo. Inspection of this type of spray cam would be difficult. Does anyone have first hand knowledge of this type of can?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom