Black box VHF with AIS transceiver?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Escape
Vessel Make
Mariner 37
Garmin, Icom and Furuno all make black box "space saving" VHF units with integrated AIS, but the AIS is receive only. And as is the trend with Garmin these days, the VHF 300 AIS unit is now discontinued. My electronics upgrade project has sucked up all of the room at both helm stations leaving no dash space for a traditional panel mount radio. Simrad/B&G makes a black box VHF with AIS transceiver, but I just don't like the angular, modernistic look of the mic. What am I missing? I am sure I want to be seen on AIS. Does that mean a separate AIS transceiver these days?

VHF AIS command mics composite.jpg

I installed the Garmin version a few years ago. It works fine although both the Black box and one of the RAM Mics were defective when delivered (replaced by Garmin). It was a pretty easy self install.
These are all NMEA2K so any compatible transceiver will give your entire suite of instruments AIS (I use a Vesper 8000XB now discontinued by Garmin).

I found the print on the screen is tiny, so for all but a few memorized functions, I need to find my glasses. turning on your fog signal for instance is a chore.
One has to learn to speak into the bottom half of the handset unlike traditional smaller RAM mics. I added external speakers at both stations so I could quickly and easily adjust volume

Garmin, Icom and Furuno all make black box "space saving" VHF units with integrated AIS, but the AIS is receive only. And as is the trend with Garmin these days, the VHF 300 AIS unit is now discontinued. My electronics upgrade project has sucked up all of the room at both helm stations leaving no dash space for a traditional panel mount radio. Simrad/B&G makes a black box VHF with AIS transceiver, but I just don't like the angular, modernistic look of the mic. What am I missing? I am sure I want to be seen on AIS. Does that mean a separate AIS transceiver these days?

View attachment 157517

I’m in the process of having a vesper/Garmin cortex installed. Good luck finding an installer that knows the product. Good luck getting knowledgeable tech support from Garmin.

If you want to be seen on AIS but aren't a fan of the Simrad/B&G look, I'd suggest going with a separate AIS transceiver. I had a similar issue and ended up combining a compact AIS transceiver with a standard VHF radio. It saved space and let me pick gear I actually liked. Look for space-saving transceivers that fit your setup, even if they’re a bit unconventional.

I've been looking deeper into AIS and come across units that log data to an SD card. What does a Class B AIS transceiver log? And what would one do with that log? Do you guys save AIS log files?

I prefer to separate AIS transceiver and radio because I view them very differently. AIS is fine to hide away somewhere and as long as it works, I ignore it. But the VHF is crucial for communication and interaction, so I want it to match my exact preferences.

In our newly-outfitted boat, that led us to Garmin 800 AIS (fine/don't care, worked perfectly on previously boat). And Icom M-605 radio (personal preference for many reasons, especially for the direct channel dial ... but everyone's preferences are different!)

I also preferred the AIS as a black box with everything done through a multifunction display. Had a Simrad stand alone about 20 years ago and display programming was a PIA. On Slow Hand I chose a Garmin black box transceiver where the options were programmed on my Garmin 15" display, much easier. Also, I like to leave the AIS on when cruising, like several months. Don't need to leave the VHF on when anchored out and I'm asleep. Last point, if you buy a combo unit, and it fails, you get to buy both again.

Ted

I upgraded to the Simrad RS40-B about a year ago. If the corded mic is the only issue, Simrad also has the HS40 wireless handset, which is of a more conventional shape. Unless the radio is flush mounted, the corded mic could instead be plugged into the back of the RS40-B reducing its visibility. With my limited knowledge of marine electronics, an all in one radio/GPS/AIS is just easier to manage.

Daniel Varholy

'89 Tradewinds '43MY

My own preference with equipment like this is to use separate, dedicated devices rather than combination devices if possible. The primary reason is that no manufacturer makes the best of everything, so with combination devices you end up with some parts that are good, and some parts that are not so good. If you can do individual devices, you can select the best product for each function. Also, if one thing breaks or becomes obsolete, you aren't stuck replacing everything. Plus you will have a much broader choice of replacements for individual components vs combined components. I realize there will be situations where separate devices just isn't practical because of space or whatever, but if possible, I would recommend separate devices.

I would buy a separate "B+" AIS unit. The B+ is in between the B and A AIS. It has higher power. It uses the SOTDMA format transmissions similar to AIS "A" and 5 watt transmission power (2.5 times the power of a class B unit). The extra cost is minimal: See ACR, Digital Yacht, Furuno FA 70, and the Vesper Cortex M1

I would also buy the Morad AIS antenna, tuned for 162 MHz (AIS frequency), rather than a splitter and use a compromised frequency tuned VHF radio/AIS antenna. By using a mini UHF connector to a PL259 connector to the radio allows you to snake the coax thru tight spaces and gets away from the crimp PL 259 which often corrode, or soldering the PL 259 Connector.

Last edited:
What TT said. Separate AIS with separate GPS mushroom and a separate and GOOD VHS antenna for it. I see no benefit to having AIS on a VHF unit. Class B AIS puts out a weak signal that is easily affected by radio interference. In our experience our poor quality LED lights cause VHS interference. Thataway’s comment about a B+ unit might be worth a look, although I’m unfamiliar with these units.

Jim

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom