Can’t track Garmin Watch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HopCar

Guru
Vessel Name
Possum
Vessel Make
Ellis 28
There was a story in today’s Miami Herald about a man who went offshore from Key Biscayne to spearfish on a paddle board. He didn’t come back. His board was found a day later off Ft. Lauderdale. His family says he was wearing a Garmin watch that should be trackable. They contacted Garmin. Garmin said they couldn’t track it because it didn’t have the latest software. My take on this is don’t count on Garmin and always update software.

There was a story in today’s Miami Herald about a man who went offshore from Key Biscayne to spearfish on a paddle board. He didn’t come back. His board was found a day later off Ft. Lauderdale. His family says he was wearing a Garmin watch that should be trackable. They contacted Garmin. Garmin said they couldn’t track it because it didn’t have the latest software. My take on this is don’t count on Garmin and always update software.
What was the method by which it was should have been tracked!

Satellite?
Cellular?

Probably doesn't work underwater anyway.

Ted

Which watch model? Was it designed to broadcast its position? I have a Garmin InReach. Broadcasts great but only if it’s turned on. Currently it is turned off and I don’t have a subscription active.

I have a Garmin watch. In order for live tracking to work, the watch wearer has to innitiate it each time they want to use it. If this guy didn't do that, they are SOL.

I did a little research on the Garmin watches. I think Benthic2 is right. He would have to activate it before they could find him. Story didn’t mention a life jacket. Without a life jacket it would be hard to hold the watch above the water.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom