Cell phone boosters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Trent

Vessel Name
Encore
Vessel Make
Nordic Tug 37 FB
We cruise in the remote areas of Ontario's North Channel/Lake Superior where cell phone/internet connectivity is poor at best. We want to install a cell phone booster to enhance making connections and are looking for advice on what other cruisers have installed and what satisfaction they have had. So far, recommendations range from an expensive PepWave MAX BR1 Pro 5G router to the Wilson Drive Reach Marine unit. The Wilson Webboost Destination RV 65 Gain booster previously recommended by a Canadian vendor apparently, according to the FAA, is not allowed on boats. Also of interest is what cellular plans have worked well data-wise. While our Verizon plan from the US works in Canada, as soon as we cross the border, our unlimited data goes to a max of 0.5 GB which is very limiting. Thanks.
Lee Tuthill
m/v Encore

Are you looking for voice or data or both?

I found this article extremely difficult to digest until I knew more. At a very high level, router plus powerful antenna is needed - its an expensive setup, and not overly intuitive to configure. Sure you're not a Starlink customer?

https://seabits.com/recommended-systems-plans/

Peter

I invested in the full Seabits setup and it never did me any good. As a practical matter in my experience, it is rarely if ever the case that a cell signal is strong enough to be successfully boosted but not strong enough to be picked up by your phone for any meaningful period of time. Perhaps if you were in a stationary location at the fringe of a cell coverage area it would make sense. But on a moving boat in remote areas you spend little time moving through that zone and most of your time either in or out of solid coverage. Bottom line: get a Starlink.

The Wilson Weboost mobile will boost a weak cell signal (but paradoxically can decrease reception in better signal areas). Currently for not much more, you might consider a Starlink RV unit. Only pay for the service during months you use it. WiFi calling more reliable in Northern areas than cell.

For a booster only, take a look at the Smoothtalker X6 model line.

They are made in Canada and Industry Canada approved.

Had the mobile RV X6 55dB on my previous boat and I can attest that some anchorages went from 0 bars to 1 bar - which is a massive increase.

Weboost works well if there is a signal. Much prefer my iPhone hotspot and making the change to Starlink when my trawler arrives. No more Weboost,

In Australia, been thinking about a booster, so I`m following. We spend time in fjord like locations, steep sided bays in a national park where reception is poor. Better at night, on the flybridge.

I did a search, boosters are illegal here. But repeaters(? booster by another name) are allowed,but only with network provider permission.

As a practical matter in my experience, it is rarely if ever the case that a cell signal is strong enough to be successfully boosted but not strong enough to be picked up by your phone for any meaningful period of time. Perhaps if you were in a stationary location at the fringe of a cell coverage area it would make sense. But on a moving boat in remote areas you spend little time moving through that zone and most of your time either in or out of solid coverage. Bottom line: get a Starlink.

I had a Weboost system on my last boat, and my experience matches. It didn't provide a lot of value.

I used to use to carry devices connected to both Bell and Rogers networks in the North Channel and sometimes in that area one would work when the other didn't, but that seems to be less common these days. Both networks seem to have improved over the last 7 years that I've been cruising the area. Verizon uses Rogers for roaming AFAIK, and their network around Lake Huron is as good as any in my experience.

Starlink sounds like the right solution if you want uninterrupted service and/or reliable fast data.

We have used a 15-year-old old Wilson booster that was made for cars. I tape the magnetic antenna to a railing up high (ground plane). The cigarette lighter plug goes in, and off we go. Yes, it is very “jerry rigged”.

It works great! We have had good results very far from the towers around Vancouver Island using this setup. It has allowed us to text and get data (read: windy access) where the phone or hotspot could not do it on its own. If we had something permanently installed with a proper marine antenna, we might see better results.

We only use this temporarily during our annual vacations in BC. We have not invested in anything permanent as our full time cruising was a ways off, and we thought the available technology was bound to change.

The Wilson Webboost Destination RV 65 Gain booster previously recommended by a Canadian vendor apparently, according to the FAA, is not allowed on boats.

Am curious about this statement. Is this device so incredibly powerful and effective? If so then that is exactly what you want on your boat

My opinion forget about cellular and switch to starlink!!!

This is in the Sea of Cortez

Attachments

• 718C003B-D0C8-4635-B351-516E4C06360B.jpg
    718C003B-D0C8-4635-B351-516E4C06360B.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 15
We cruise in the remote areas of Ontario's North Channel/Lake Superior where cell phone/internet connectivity is poor at best. We want to install a cell phone booster to enhance making connections and are looking for advice on what other cruisers have installed and what satisfaction they have had. So far, recommendations range from an expensive PepWave MAX BR1 Pro 5G router to the Wilson Drive Reach Marine unit. The Wilson Webboost Destination RV 65 Gain booster previously recommended by a Canadian vendor apparently, according to the FAA, is not allowed on boats. Also of interest is what cellular plans have worked well data-wise. While our Verizon plan from the US works in Canada, as soon as we cross the border, our unlimited data goes to a max of 0.5 GB which is very limiting. Thanks.
Lee Tuthill
m/v Encore

The FAA? Aviation? Or is that a Canadian organization? I can see the FCC regulating communication devices but the FAA couldn’t with boats. They would only regulate signals not receptions though.

However, this device looks like it works since it has a directional antenna. Consequently in motion or swinging means you won’t be lined up with the cell tower. I also think all the positive reviews are from an external high mounted antenna, which can be done without a signal booster.

But it needs a signal to receive and then boost.

You might be getting throttled on your roaming across the international border, and if that is being done by the carrier no cell booster will solve it

Last edited:
I had the Weboost on my last Loop trip in 2018 and worked very well. Often had a signal, but not enough and the boost got us good reception. Will have that again, but with a new antenna and will post how it goes. I use it with a hotspot, but my new Spectrum cell service limits the hotspot so that may be an issue.

Also have the Starlink which is working fine for now.

@Seevee, was just reading about the Destination. Looks good, but it appears to be a small, enclosed yagi antenna, which is directional not omni. Albiet with a rather wide beam range. Is that correct, how do you use it? Do you have clamps and just point it in the direction that you wish when anchored?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom