Conversion from Hynautic to Electronic Engine Control

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Surboum

Veteran Member
Vessel Make
Mainship 430
Has anyone else converted their hynautic throttle and shift controls to an electronic system? What was your experience? What brand electronic system did you use? How much did it cost?
I have a 2004 Mainship 430 with twin Yanmar 6LYA-STPs and ZF Hurth transmissions.

I have not done it and not sure I would without a very good reason such as the existing controls are failing. I have Koblet controls on my boat and have run work boats also equipped with Kobelt. I have found them to be robust and trust worthy. The power source for the controls needs to be carefully thought through for obvious reasons.

One aspect of the Kolbelt system I like is their actuators have manual controls near the engines. Should a control head fail you still have get home capability. Not great control because the actuator is in the engine room close to the engines but good enough to get you out of trouble and to a point where you can be assisted in to the dock.

We have ZF Micro Commanders. They came with the boat so I don’t have any idea on cost but did find the manual on board so I now know they are 20 years old. This summer the port engine decided to go into reverse on its own just inside the break wall at our home port. My mechanic called ZF in Stuart, Florida and read all the codes to them and everything checked out. That is the only time I have lost confidence in them and that issue has not happened since.

Back
Top Bottom