Cummins QSB5.9 230hp longevity

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Foster Nordic

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Lesser Light
Vessel Make
Nordic Tug 32
Hi all;

I'm looking at purchasing a 2006 Selene 40 that appears to be in excellent condition. It has been in the PNW all it's life but has been part of the Anacortes Charter fleet for several years and has 3900 hours on the Cummins QSB5.9 230hp engine.

I know I'd need a careful engine/mechanical survey to be comfortable with this. But appreciate peoples thoughts about this if it's been well cared for. What to look for at survey? What another 1000 hours might do to resale value 5 years from now? General advice? I'd like to take it up the inside passage to Alaska and really trust everything.

Thank you all!
Don

A 230 HP 5.9 is very low HP for that size engine. With 3,900 hours, how it's been maintained and used will be the issue. If it has been well maintained and reasonably used, another 1,000 hours won't be a big issue. My Cummins 6BT 220 HP (5.9) in my pickup has over 10,000 hours on it.

Make sure to get oil analysis on both the engine and transmission. Are there detailed service records?

Ted

Ted, is that correct that you'd only give this engine another mere 1,000 hours of useful service? I am not familiar with the engine, but could one assume if 4,900 hours was end of life, could it be economically revived with an overhaul/rebuild? Inquiring minds want to know. I asked the Ford-Lehman dealer in San Diego many years ago what was the most hours he had seen on a 120, and he responded around 10,000 on one that was just in for an oil change.

What Ted said. If they are maintained they will easily go 10K hours.

Ted, is that correct that you'd only give this engine another mere 1,000 hours of useful service? I am not familiar with the engine, but could one assume if 4,900 hours was end of life, could it be economically revived with an overhaul/rebuild? Inquiring minds want to know. I asked the Ford-Lehman dealer in San Diego many years ago what was the most hours he had seen on a 120, and he responded around 10,000 on one that was just in for an oil change.

Maybe I wasn't clear. Because this is such a low HP 5.9 Lt. engine, with reasonable maintenance and typical recreational use, it should go 10,000 hours. Adding 1,000 hours on a 3,900 hour engine that is in good condition is insignificant as it's still below a reasonable life expectancy of 10,000 hours.

Ted

Maybe I wasn't clear. Because this is such a low HP 5.9 Lt. engine, with reasonable maintenance and typical recreational use, it should go 10,000 hours. Adding 1,000 hours on a 3,900 hour engine that is in good condition is insignificant as it's still below a reasonable life expectancy of 10,000 hours.

Ted

Thanks, got it. :)

Foster Nordic,
Another NT owner that I know (NT37) with a 5.9 L 6BTA (330 HP) engine now has over 12,000 hours on his engine. He is just now rebuilding the turbo (not the engine) as it is starting to leak at a seal. Every year for the last 20 years he has travelled from Everett to Alaska and back. He operates at about 50% throttle almost all the time, and he has been diligent about maintenance.
I would agree with the others, that not overloading the engine, and with regular (complete) maintenance, a reasonable life expectancy of over 10,000 hours is very probable.

thanks

Thank you all for this. I'll plan on getting a careful maintenance history (if possible) and a very good mechanical survey.

Back
Top Bottom