Davit issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sharpseadog

Vessel Name
Tinka
Vessel Make
Mariner/Helmsman 38
We have a 2007 Mariner Seville Pilothouse. 37 with a Nick Jackson davit. Our dinghy is a Walker Bay Genesis center console with a Honda 20 OB. It is heavy and when we launch and retrieve it, it swings past stern and lies against port side. It is extremely hard to maintain control of the swing. Even more problematic when trying to lift it from the port side. Extremely hard to get it swung past the port side corner. Does anyone have a solution? My wife and I really can't handle this safely.

We have a 2007 Mariner Seville Pilothouse. 37 with a Nick Jackson davit. Our dinghy is a Walker Bay Genesis center console with a Honda 20 OB. It is heavy and when we launch and retrieve it, it swings past stern and lies against port side. It is extremely hard to maintain control of the swing. Even more problematic when trying to lift it from the port side. Extremely hard to get it swung past the port side corner. Does anyone have a solution? My wife and I really can't handle this safely.
I am familiar with the Nick Jackson Davits, but am having a hard time envisioning what your issue is.

Yes it's a little difficult to lift your dinghy over the rail on the cockpit cover on your Helmsman on launch and recovery. I had a NJ pipe davit on my 38E. I managed ok on launch by shortening the dinghy lift straps as much as possible, and on raising the dinghy, tilting the dinghy one way or the other to clear the rail. On recovery from the port side, I had a line attached to the eye on the davit arm to help pull the davit arm and dinghy over the stern and rail as the dinghy came up above the rail.
An option is to replace the standard height rail with a low one, which would be expensive. Another, would be to remove the stern facing portion of the rail just one stanchion in from the corners port and starboard, seal and polish the cut ends.
Install a removeable chain across the open space for safety when the dinghy is in the water.

Ah... I was thinking of a NJ stern davit on the swim step. You are talking about a crane up to your boat deck.

chanprr gave good ideas. On my NP43 I have a 10' Rib with a 20hp motor and a lightweight console. All in it is about 500lbs I think.

My boat has an opening in both the stern rails. There are cable lifeline to fill that gap when the dinghy isn't on the deck. I have to get the dinghy pretty high to clear the side rail as I am lifting the dinghy up. My dinghy sits fire and aft on the deck. I use a bow line and stern line to control the dinghy.

Chanprr also gave a good suggestion of using a line attached to the crane to help swing it over the rail and inboard. I made up a 3:1 tackle to make it easier.

Launching and retrieving with one helper isn't bad. It is a bit of a chore doing it solo with wind and waves however.

Use a a PTFE dry spray lubricant on the base and upper support bushing...makes it much easier to swing and control.

That Walker Bay Genesis center console and Honda 20 hose outboard might weigh 600 or more pounds. That’s a lot of boat to wrangle around.

I made my own lift bridle with a low lift point with dyneema to get my Caribe DL12 over my forward rail. I'm able to grab the motor and swing it aboard and lower onto its cradle when retrieving. I also use a wireless remote for control. But, I drop mine in the water at the marina and then tow it so I don't have to try to control it while bouncing. I know that is not for everyone and every situation.

My experience is scant, but here is what has worked for me.

I keep a single long-ish thin dock line for the dingy aboard it. To be used to tie up to a dingy dock.

In launching I have that tied to the bow. I swing it all outboard to the port side, but holding the dock line attached to the bow, which I can use to maintain at least some sense of control. During that, my wife is in the cockpit. Once the dingy has been lowered about half way down I pass her the line and she finishes the job of guiding it to the side of the swim platform.

For lifting we just reverse the process. Once lifted I can use the line attached to the bow to pull in the davit boom and boat. Occasionally it all wants to swing forward but just giving it a shove aft has been all that's needed since I'm working with about 250 lbs.

Back
Top Bottom