Fitness/Excercise as a Liveaboard

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

proudsailor

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
La Barca Beulah
Vessel Make
DeFever 44 OC
We're getting closer to taking the plunge as liveaboards. As we search for the ideal trawler, trying to figure out how to incorporate exercise/fitness into our trawler plans. Searched the forum but didn't see too much.

She's a fitness nut and avid runner, in addition to weights & yoga. I'm a cyclist, in addition to weights and yoga. Our home set-up is Bowflex dial weights which we love and are easily transportable. We also have a Bowflex machine that we've used a lot and for many years. Folds up nicely but has some height to it. I could easily see my bike on board with a trainer (although I really don't like stationary biking), not sure about the Bowflex machine. Could definitely include kayaks or paddle boards as a good aerobic exercise regime on a trawler. But hoping for insights from this forum as we plot out trawler life knowing that heavy cardio and good strength training need to be part of this also.

Other details- looking at 45-50' trawlers. Focusing on older Kadeys ideally, but also like trunk cabin Defevers- yep very different boats which would give a lot of deck space to some equipment. Other considerations for well founded trawlers that aren't just dock-side condos?

1. For the cyclists- how do you get a bike ashore when at anchor? Or don't you? Not sure about fold-up bikes, as I go 50-70 miles at a pop and sometimes do multi-day rides.
2. Any runners? Treadmills onboard? If so, what type?
3. Other ideas/thoughts on good cardio and strength training? Anyone mounted pull up bars in their trawler?
4. How do you preserve any equipment you have while in a marine environment? Canvas covers? Anything else?
5. What do you do for serious fitness while enjoying trawler life?

Always enjoy the collective wisdom (and humor) of this group and hoping to gain more of it!

Thanks,
Mark & Patty

To tell you my ideas after 3 liveaboards with all kinds of schedules during those periods...heck, normal workout routine is no different than living in a house when in a marina.

Cruising..... that takes creativity and routine bike riding may be out unless you a free one of those daredevils that ride anywhere, anytime. Walking/jogging somewhat easier. Lifting, stationary equipment, exercising on non underway days isn't too hard to accommodate depending on vessel size....but underway days takes dedication on those longer, tiring days from sun up to sunset with daily chores tossed in.

There is a difference between Active Cruising and Living on a boat tied to a dock.

An Active Cruiser will by very nature of the lifestyle get a lot of exercise walking everywhere. Walking is the most basic form of exercise.

Boats generally do not have room for fixed workout equipment, but that does not mean there are no opportunities.

Kayak or row places for fun and exercise. Do this instead of having a rowing machine in your "gym". :blush:

Long before they made stationary bicycles to sit in front of the TV they had real bikes.

Exercise was always a challenge for my Wife on the boat. She was lost without her gym equipment. My commend was that the "gym" is out there, on the land, and the water. We do not need machines to exercise. Those machines only replicate activities that active people actually do, by the very nature of being active.

We have an old school NordicTrack that my wife and I both use - and that I proudly maintain along with a guy in Minnesota who still supports them with parts. It works great for both of us because we are both experienced cross country skiers. It also works great because it folds and easily stands on end, and can be wheeled around similar to a two-wheeled handtruck. It will be easy to stash it behind a chair or bungi to a bulkhead out of the way - so long as it's kept inside. It's not a piece of equipment that can be left outside in the elements.

I recently concluded a charter in the San Juan Islands. I took opportunities shoreside to put on my running shoes, for the trails on Sucia or around the town of Friday Harbor.

I'm also a big proponent of circuit training exercise with a minimum amount of equipment. Many exercises require a space of, say, three feet by six or seven feet, and a few inches above your head. Sure, in the salon of your boat you won't be able to extend hand weights above your head or be doing the hop at the end of each burpee, but you can do a heck of a lot.

Just some suggestions.

Last edited:
I’m looking in to a sliding seat rowing shell I can carry on top. Problem is entering and exiting the shell.

Last edited:
For bicycles, the Montague is the best folder. While not as compact as the tiny wheel type once set up it is a full sized, real bicycle.

Has anyone thought about this more for strength training? Maybe dumbbells on aft cockpit? There is difficult shore access many places with the tides etc in BC.

There is a difference between Active Cruising and Living on a boat tied to a dock.

An Active Cruiser will by very nature of the lifestyle get a lot of exercise walking everywhere. Walking is the most basic form of exercise.

Boats generally do not have room for fixed workout equipment, but that does not mean there are no opportunities.

Kayak or row places for fun and exercise. Do this instead of having a rowing machine in your "gym". :blush:

Long before they made stationary bicycles to sit in front of the TV they had real bikes.

Exercise was always a challenge for my Wife on the boat. She was lost without her gym equipment. My commend was that the "gym" is out there, on the land, and the water. We do not need machines to exercise. Those machines only replicate activities that active people actually do, by the very nature of being active.
The problem Kevin is that we really need strength exercises as well for many reasons including bone density and that isn’t as possible even with kayaking etc.

Isometrics maybe? I used to use 8lb dumbbells while at the helm on autopilot.... bigger ones could be an issue...especially on rougher days/wakes. A few routine exercises and isometrics could have also been done then.

What I find interesting is how people think cruising is somehow going to fit in their lifestyle.

Cruising IS the lifestyle and if your daily routine doesn't fit...a lot of IFs are now the obstacles.

As posted, living aboard is no different than living in a waterfront apartment (location defines the convenience to lifestyle wishes). Cruising CAN be similar but forces one to choose cruising destinations that accomodate that.

However....underway is a different animal unless you go big and/or stabilized.

Swimming is the most complete exercise I can do, and it’s always available right off the transom.
Of course I’m in the tropics, and cold water is never an issue!

What I find interesting is how people think cruising is somehow going to fit in their lifestyle.

I think this statement sums up most failures in the liveaboard or long term cruising world.

Still, I have a road bike that I keep on a trainer on my enclosed back deck. I ride it 100 miles a week and when necessary I just put the bike in the dingy and motor to shore. It’s really for exercise but more than once I have used it to chase parts at away from home locations.

As always, if there is a will, there is a way.

While actually cruising (on anchor), I generally did yoga and bodyweight exercises. I did have some light dumbbells, but something like this might be sufficient to turn bodyweight exercises into "strength training": Elite USA 90

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom