Freezing Temp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

larman

Vessel Name
Livin The Dream
Vessel Make
Sea Ray
I mid October I did some damage to the running gear on my boat as we are heading down to Florida with it. I am currently still waiting on the repairs to be completed. The boat is in Delaware City, De. I have posted the ten-day forecast and I’m little concerned about a couple of days of freezing temperatures in the early a.m. do you think I’ll be OK with daytime temperatures reaching the 50s?

Attachments

• IMG_1864.jpg
    IMG_1864.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 19
I assume you're in salt water which freezes at about 27deg F so any sea water in the engines, aircons, etc will be fine. Your domestic water system is more vulnerable but at 31 or 32 deg it would take a really long time to freeze. It's not like your home freezer that can make ice cubes in a couple hours, it's around -10 in there. I doubt the boat interior would get much below 40 in a single night with a low of 31. It's the days that don't get above freezing all day that will get you. Here in Michigan we get about a month of those in a row in Jan and Feb. Can you leave an electric heater running just in case?

Last edited:
When I lived in Oriental, NC which is maybe a degree or two warmer than where you are, I never worried about freezing until it got to the low 20s overnight. You aren’t even close over the next ten days.

David

Thank you!! Feeling much better about the situation.

If the boat is out of the water, your vulnerability is increased. A light, short-lived freeze should be tolerated ok, but anything longer could be hazardous.

Back
Top Bottom