Garmin 5212 powering sounder

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

larman

Vessel Name
Livin The Dream
Vessel Make
Sea Ray
I have eliminated the voltage converter, no longer working. Powering chart plotter through cigarette lighter socket and I then powered the transducer/sonar separately through a 12v terminal connection. Everything works but I notice when pulling the cigarette lighter power the indicator light still is illuminated? Not sure what’s happening. It is being back fed? Everything is working but I am missing something.

If I understand correctly you have separate 2nd power supply to transducer?
There has to be some interconnect cable or backbone between this and plotter and yes it could be showing up as power but not internally routed to power up plotter display.
Personal opinion I dislike cigarette style power connections waterproof pin style much preferred.

Yes a second power supply for the transducer. I wonder if there is something internally in the plotter itself that’s combining the voltage?

My backbone has 4 power connections, Transducer Controller, Autopilot Controller, MFD and a midpoint on the backbone cable itself to make sure it maintains enough current for communicating. The equipment connections feed the backbone independent of the unit operating power so that I believe is where you are seeing the power indicator without actually powering up the MFD.

My system is a subpanel at the helm that has all to low amp connections with their correct size blade fuses and then feed that from a larger breaker at the house panel. There is also relay that breaks the power from the battery to the the helm drive pump.
Can't say if this is best practice but it does shutdown the complete system when not in operation.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom