Gear Oil for Windlass

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nveater

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Pathfinder
Vessel Make
Mainship Pilot 30
I have a Maxwell RC8-6 electric windlass for my boat. I was replacing a broken fitting for my washdown hose in the anchor locker and noticed that I could not see any gear oil in the site glass. I have had the boat three years and in reading the PO's maintenance notes did not notice that he had serviced the windlass either. I looked unsuccessfully on line but could not find how to refill the gearbox oil- can anyone enlighten me ? Thanks in advance.

You can fill right though the sight glass. Buy gear lube in a squeeze tube. There is also a fill hole somewhere.
Why is it empty. Humm. maybe leaking.
I just re sealed my the sight glass was all milky white. Water seeped in from the shaft seal.

I know on my Maxwell VWC 3500, you need to pull the electric motor then the gearbox so you can put it on the bench to remove the sight glass in order to drain the old and fill with the specified quantity of new oil.

A poor design but not too hard to do every couple of years.

I know on my Maxwell VWC 3500, you need to pull the electric motor then the gearbox so you can put it on the bench to remove the sight glass in order to drain the old and fill with the specified quantity of new oil. A poor design but not too hard to do every couple of years.
I assumed that might be the case- at least per the videos I have watched it doesn't seem to difficult to remove the gear box and motor- we'll see:rolleyes:

You can fill right though the sight glass. Buy gear lube in a squeeze tube. There is also a fill hole somewhere.
Why is it empty. Humm. maybe leaking.
I just re sealed my the sight glass was all milky white. Water seeped in from the shaft seal.
I don't think there was a leak at least no evidence-I wouldn't have noticed if not for sticking my head imto the anchor locker to repair the washdown hose fitting. I don't see a way to fill through site glass and I haven't picked up a fill hole on the schematics- I think Luna has the right answer (unfortunately):(

Taking it down is not terrible but a quick fill is right through the sight glass. With a squeeze tube of oil.
If you take down the box give it a quick re seal and re grease the upper deck fittings.. It all comes apart to get the gear box off.

If the windlasses gearbox has milky white oil or no oil in the sight glass (it can be hard to see at times) then I would think that unless its a emergency/temporary condition one would want to make things right rather than just refilling the gearbox with new oil through the site glass opening. There is no combustion going on in there so other than leaking out, where did it go, evaporate? After all in my mind a windlass failure is more than an inconvenience and could be actually be quite serious. My anchor weights 120 lbs. plus the chain, less the buoyancy of the salt water. I would not want to pull that mass manually.
How many among us carry a spare windlass or even a spare windlass gearbox? I don't.

In order to reseal my VWC's gearbox removal was required as you have to split the box. How else are you going to determine if the shaft seals failed due to sea water exposure, bearing failure or shaft grooving? You simply have to take it apart to find out, it's not hard, even to put it back together.

Once apart the failure mode is likely self evident, (in my case it was bearing failure from being run dry for too long) and along with a few new shafts, gears, bearings and seals my gearbox is like new. The obnoxious part is having to pay $50 for the kit of glue/gasket goo (not bought from Maxwell) that seals the box back together. it does a good job but I've got likely enough of it left over to do the same thing 3 or 4 more times that will be stale dated soon. Oh joy!

Take it out and apart and fix the problem while it's easy for you. Your back, your wife and your insurer will appreciate your thoughtfulness.

No for engine oil, yes for gear oil. Maxwell specs are quite specific in this case as the whole purpose is gear lubrication.

Napa sells the right gear oil and a bottle pump that accomodates adding gear oil through the easily removable sight glass.

Replacing the seals every few years and checking out the rest of the unit requires removal. Thus a refill can be done at that time. Oil loss indicates proper servicing is over due.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom