General trawler question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Don L

Guru
Hi, I am currently a sailboat cruiser thinking of changing to a trawler. I know nothing really about trawler differences etc., which is why I am here.

I wouldn't post a "help me choose a boat" question, but if there is a good thread here or some other site on things to consider in making a choice I would be happy to learn of it.

Boat use wise I will be living on the boat, coastal cruising and to the Bahamas/Caribbean. Not thinking ocean passaging.

Thanks

trawler differences are as wide and varied as sailboat differences. Safety, ease of handling, living space, "Goodies", not really that much different. Some sailboats handle seas better than others, some are faster than others, some are fitted with self furling equipment. You need to look at what you want and then look for a boat that fits that hole the closest. Of course, money is always a consideration. If you have cruised a sailboat in the areas you are planning with the trawler you already know that draft is a definite consideration. You can handle a single screw so you might consider that vs twins for cost savings vs maneuverability and redundancy. Flybridge vs pilothouse, only you can decide. Whatever size you get it will have much more living space than the equivalent sized sailboat. Coming from a sailboat you might not need as big a trawler as you might think. Half the fun is checking out what's out there, what you can get and what you want to add for your personal journey. Have fun.

Welcome aboard. Google search may do better than the TF search…

OK I will just do google research. I thought current trawler owners would have insight they feel worth sharing.

"Trawler" tends to be a marketing term, used perhaps to suggest the build quality and sea worthiness of a commercial trawler. Some have a high bow which looks good for punching through seas. Typically, it will have a semi displacement hull, and relatively modest power, because it is intended to best operate at hull speed which varies with length but typically is around 8 knots. Creature comforts should be present.

The archetypal "trawler" is a Grand Banks,36 or 42 in length. If you start researching from there you should progress your understanding.

My Integrity 386 (pictured left) is a flybridge version trawler with the Island Gypsy 36 in its ancestry, powered by 2 Cummins 210 hp engines. Will do 15 knots at huge fuel use, happiest,and economical, at 8 knots.
Happy researching.

You might look up a few bareboat operations that offer "trawler" type boats for charter, and get a few days experience on something that catches your eye. That will fill in your understanding of the differences between trawler boating and sailing.

Welcome aboard the TF. There is much to learn and share here!

OK I will just do google research. I thought current trawler owners would have insight they feel worth sharing.

Did you read the link offered in post 2. It is one of the best on topic. No need to repeat with new posts.

Welcome Aboard !

You ask a loaded question, a "trawler hull" is a misconception for most people. A trawler comes from the fishing boat industry and are true full-displacement hulls designed to carry a very large amount of fuel, fishing gear, and many thousands of pounds of catch. These boats are relevantly slow and carry their weight deep down low in the water for stability. The engine(s) usually are slow turning with low horsepower and deep reduction gears. Many people do not appreciate this type of a hull due to it tendency to roll more than most, and the slow speeds.

The most commonly used hulls are the simi-displacement which require much more power to get the hull part of the way on plane. These hulls never run at true displacement or at planning modes. If you use an enormous amount of power you can get the simi-displacement hull almost on plane.

This is where the term "Fast trawler" comes in. It has a planning hull and high horsepower. these boats will run at 20-25 knots. But is not as efficient as a true full-displacement even when operated at displacement speeds.

If you do not a problem with going at 6-7 knots and burning ~ 3-4 gallons / hour, then you may like the full-displacement. On the other hand if you want to run at 20-25 knots the get a fast trawler, but watch out for the fuel burn of 60 gal/hr or more.

No one can tell you what you want that is a question only you can decide. I would recommend that you get on a slow boat like a Kady-Krogen and then get on a faster boat running 15-25 knots then see which you prefer.

Use the google search to target this site. (site: trawlerforum.com)

The problem is the regular search tool isn't great... but you're right, there are lots of relevant threads here. Just finding them easier/faster is the issue.

-Chris

Learned a lot general info on a google search yesterday. Now to try to find out what things are most desirable and which as most troublesome to avoid.

Problem is to define troublesome and desirable you need to very clearly define the program. Someone dealing with bridges has different concerns. Someone dealing with long passages. Someone in remote areas. Someone primarily on the hook. Someone needing speed. The list is huge which is why there’s so many variations of boats. Sit with your significant other and define use pattern as best you can. Only then can you define troublesome and desirable.

I have lived and cruised fulltime on my sailboat for the last 6.5 years. My wife and I understand the desirable living on a boat things.

If you have already read Trawler Search 101 then the next step would be to charter one in the approximate size you need. Spending time on one will give you a good idea of what you want and don’t want. When we first had the idea to buy a trawler, I always thought I wanted a sundeck vessel. Then we chartered one. Both my wife and I decided after the week that we wanted the double cabin layout instead. That’s what we have now going on 9 years.

No charter for me. Sorry but to me that is like saying a week stay at a resort will tell what I need in a condo.

I got a PM about engine size a while ago. I don"t know why it needed to be a PM instead of a thread post, but it is the type of feedback I would have expected from owners. I have now seen enough listings to not that a 40' "trawler" may have propulsion of a single 135HP engine to twin 390HP engines. And I noticed sometimes the fuel tank capacity didn"t change between the 2.

Last edited:
Don L,
Later in this post I will include a copy of a post by BandB from a similar thread. I think it is very informative and should provoke much thought on boat shopping especially when making a large change (eg. large upsize, sail to power, etc.)
From my perspective, it is very, very difficult to make a good (personal) boat choice without first defining (in some detail) how you are going to use the boat! EG, Guests: often and many or almost never. Dock to dock, or mostly at anchor. Get there fast, or go slow while enjoying the travel. On the boat for months at a time, or weekends away, ETC. ETC. ETC.
Then make lists based on achieving the goals identified in determining how you will use the boat: must haves; nice to have; don't want.

When we made a similar change from sail to power, we wanted an aft cockpit, a pilothouse, 2 cabins, gas (propane) stove and heat, single engine, etc. Equally important, we didn't want twin engines, screwed down teak decks, exterior wood trim, flybridge, etc. There were many nice to haves as well. Other boaters will (and often should) have widely differing lists, because it is based on how they plan to use their boat, and differing preferences. :)

TAKE YOUR TIME! Chartering when you have identified a serious contender (if possible) is a good idea to help ensure you have covered most considerations.

Remember, it all points back to what YOU (and wife/partner) want out of the "new" boat, not what others want from THEIR boat!! Also remember that compromises will enter the picture. You will be hard pressed to find the "perfect" boat, but several may come close.

Good luck, and following is that post I promised from BandB:

"You will get a tremendous number of opinions tossed at you. It's like any information, you have to carefully sort through it all. Almost all the information and opinions are good, but they come from many perspectives and you need to determine ultimately which of those perspectives is akin to yours.

A few simple examples. Galley up or down? No right or wrong but many like it one way and wouldn't have it the other. So think of their reasons and then how you feel. Size? Some will push small and some large. But listen to their reasoning and determine what is applicable to you. Number of staterooms. Well, we all carry different numbers of people different times. Style from lake express to ocean passagemaker. Well, the selection of the boat is very much geared to where and how you'll use it. If you intend to stick primarily to the ICW your needs are quite different from the person who intends to go to Bermuda, explore the Caribbean, cross through the Panama Canal and go to Alaska then pick up Catalina on the way back. If your usage is mostly weekend and occasionally a week at a time then much different than someone living on a boat full time.

Now when people are fairly universally saying the same thing to you about a specific boat, give that more credence. But ultimately, it's your choice, not theirs. But go through the process. This brings me back to a business philosophy I had. I didn't question the choices, recommendations or decisions, I always asked about the process of getting there. If someone came to me with a proposal, I'd center on what they'd done, what they'd studied, what they'd found out to get them to that point. Ultimately I feel choices aren't good or bad based on the choice made but based on how you made it. If you go through the process correctly, then you'll generally be happy with the decision. If you short cut the process, skip steps, your odds of making a mistake are greatly increased.

So to me it's like any project I've ever been a part of:

Project: Selecting a boat

Phase 1-Define the requirements. What do you want this boat to do, where will you use it. This should be a detailed list of deliverables you want. And, yes, I strongly encourage putting it in writing and modifying it as you learn more.

Phase 2-Explore and evaluate options against your requirements. That's the key. We actually had a sheet against which we checked off whether a boat met, or didn't meet or partially met each requirement. The key is having defined requirements so you're not just saying "I like that" but you're saying it meets 90% of my requirements and all the essential ones. You can compare two side by side. And yes, "wow factor" or "feel good factor" can be a requirement. I just see it and like the thought of it. But that is only one of many. This phase will have to talking to a lot of people and looking at many boats, in fact probably hundreds on line.

Phase 3-Pick the best matches and delve deeper. In systems it's determining the one you want to pilot. Same here just a different definition of pilot. This is when you then make the offer dependent on sea trial and survey. To help you determine which one to make the offer on, test anyway you can. Charter. Ride in similar. Meet and talk to other owners who might even take you on a ride.

Phase 4-Piloting the choice-Sea Trial and Survey. Prove your choice is what you think it is. When all goes well, this step is very valuable. It reaffirms your choice. When it doesn't go well, it is even more valuable. It prevents you from making a bad choice.

My point is don't try to jump in and just say, I like this boat or that one. Don't start at "what do you think about boat abc?" Don't short cut the process. Take whatever time it requires. "

The Palm Beach International Boat Show is on March 22 and there is also a show in Jax in April. I know Palm Beach is a 4 hour drive but the boat show is pretty big and you'll get a chance to see a ton of boats in a few days.

Even when you tour boats that are not for you, you can learn things. When a salesman brags about the boat he is going to list features that you may not have thought about. He might say "This boat has a brand new watermaker" and you might think "huh, I never thought about a watermaker....."

My biggest advice on trawler shopping is to find one you can really fall in love with. There are so many tings that will go wrong, and be a pain in the ass, that it really helps your sanity if you are obsessed with your boat in think it's exceptionally great. In my case this means buying boats that are not really the most practical choices to tick the boxes of my "Program." They feed my fantasies as well as my actual needs.

My biggest current problem is that yachtworld feels that after I have looked at 1 boat my time on on my search should expire

My biggest current problem is that yachtworld feels that after I have looked at 1 boat my time on on my search should expire

When browsing Yachtworld, I usually run through the search results and open each interesting one in a new browser tab. Then once I've grabbed a bunch of interesting listings I'll stop and go through them all.

Checkout the folks on Bumfuzzle.com. Serial adventurers, they once circumnavigated on a small-ish cat. 6-7 years ago, they bought a Grand Banks 42 and cruised all through the Caribbean while raising two kids. One interesting item I remember is their saying they got lucky that the boat they happened to buy had Naiads which made a big difference for them. They recently sold the boat in Aruba and purchased another sail-cat in Western Mexico, ready for another chapter.

I like the GB42 but it would not be my first choice. Too much exterior wood and not enough covered outdoor space for the tropics. I like sedan layouts such as my Willard 36. Pilothouse boats are okay but rarely have a flybridge which is nice too. If your budget allows, the newer power cats are also nice for tropics just as sail-cats are.

When browsing Yachtworld, I usually run through the search results and open each interesting one in a new browser tab. Then once I've grabbed a bunch of interesting listings I'll stop and go through them all.
I do that too. But before long I forget and presto, well groomed search criteria are vaporized. YW has been like that for a while. They must not test with users.

The other frustrating thing witb YW is viewing pictures on my phone (Android) is terrible.

Peter

Last edited:
I like the GB42 but it would not be my first choice. Too much exterior wood and not enough covered outdoor space for the tropics. I like sedan layouts such as my Willard 36. Pilothouse boats are okay but rarely have a flybridge which is nice too.

Yes I have definitely already noticed the exterior wood that I absolutely will not be getting.

I am in no rush. Currently sitting at anchor in Long Island Bahamas with time to kill during the 70-75 degree cold front.

Recently transitioned from blue water sail to coastal/near shore power. They are very different lifestyles in many regards. How you judge engines and fuel tanks for one. With the prior boat we would use the engine to get in/out of harbors or bays but that was it. Had 200g in 4 tanks and including a passage to New England from the windwards and back would go to a fuel dock twice a year. Currently have 600g in two tanks. Theoretically good for 1200nm but in reality nowhere close as being in a SD hull the drive to exceed hull speed or to say damn the current is sometimes overwhelming. Took months to accept the reality is different. We go to a fuel dock 3-4 times a year.
Planning is different. Weather concerns are totally different.
You may have lived aboard for 6.5 years but may I suggest to you my prior post should be taken seriously. Power boating is different. What you want to do? What are your plans? I started out wanting a N43. I ended up with a NT42. After a decade of international cruising wife said-I have no further interest in passages. I want to see our country and always be one airplane flight from home. I want long legs but want to avoid multiple nights underway. You’ve done sail. Examine why you want to go to power. Define your use program. Then you will know do you want FD or SD, how many heads, staterooms, freezers and all the details. Life is different with full size appliances. Everything including the watermaker on AC not DC.
Biggest decision is FD v SD.

Last edited:
I tried 4 times to read this thread. I doubt any sane person can start at beginning and make it to end.

I am going to switch from a general question to specific questions that do not answers for doing a search (I know faster to read an old on topic thread than starting a new one)

I am sorry Don. The board met and we will have to review your membership after that comment. Sane people should not be on the forum. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

I am sorry Don. The board met and we will have to review your membership after that comment. Sane people should not be on the forum. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Nah, he’s good. He tried four times expecting a different result. Not sane.

Back
Top Bottom