Generator impeller operation question, please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Still working on replacing the mixing elbow, all available new elbows don’t have a plug for the exhaust temp sensor. New elbows are make of SS which makes the welding of a plug more complicated.
Don't overcomplicate it get a $100 temp alarm or a $20 temp alarm with probe and hold it on with electrical tie

5 years full time use, zero issues.

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f14/inexpensive-water-temp-alarm-202270.html

I am try to seal the pinhole in the elbow with muffler putty??

Not sure how water will effect it
I used epoxy glue
Last an 18mth full time cruise but his need repairing a few times
At end of cruise after epoxy chipped off it had 2 holes you could stick a finger through

Last edited:
Just got back in cell service territory. Thank you all for the comments. For the last 8 days, the genset worked fine. Little smoke but pretty smelly. Following purging the TH with water and air pressure, the flow was decent enough for the unit to operate but the water flow increased on its own over the following 4 days. Interesting.

There is no valve on the exhaust water flow. So it’s straight through from HE..mixing elbow.. muffler then out the side.

Still working on replacing the mixing elbow, all available new elbows don’t have a plug for the exhaust temp sensor. New elbows are make of SS which makes the welding of a plug more complicated. I am try to seal the pinhole in the elbow with muffler putty?? Until I get a properly configured elbow.

Thank all again for the very valuable input.

Streff

It’s no problem welding to stainless. Is the sensor part of the generator shutdown circuit?

Hello,

Yes, the sensor is part of the safety shutdown of the genset. I am investigating welding the SS. In the meantime I may appose the sensor blade to the side of the new elbow with a SS tie and see what happens.

Streff

a sensor designed for immersion will still read externally if you get good contact, but the response may be slower or not as accurate. May be acceptable for the genset though.

Back
Top Bottom