Generator to Xantrex MS 2000

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

OTW

We currently have a Honda 2200 I generator. When we use to charge batteries the MS 2000 does not engage. I have read if they dont like the current they will not accept.
Looking for an answer for portable generator or if there is a setting on MS 2000.
Works fine when oluggwd into shore power
Thanks

It could be that the MS 2000 senses that the ground and neutral are not tied together at the source (which in this case is the generator) and won’t turn on. The same thing trips the GFCIs on your boat.

Most generators do not tie the ground and neutral at their outlet which causes this to happen. You can solve it with a special plug that ties the two.

Here is a page of them on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/s?k=generator+grounding+plug&crid=9OQV6YB7G8WB&sprefix=Generator+gr,aps,125&ref=nb_sb_ss_pltr-xclick_3_12

You plug it into one outlet and it will also ground the other one, which you then use to provide power to your boat.

David

David
Thanks for the info so my generatorhas two outlets typical 120 15 amp and a 30 amp plug that my shore power cord plugs into.
Im not sure what your saying. If I plug that plug into my 120 15 amp it will fix the issue with the 30amp side?
Sorry electrical is not my strong suit

Yes, if you plug the plug into the 15 amp outlet, it will also provide a ground for the 30 amp outlet.

David

Interesting. Portable generators have a floating ground. The inverter will not transfer until it senses neutral and ground are connected from another source. What could go wrong?

Back
Top Bottom