Gig Harbor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

magna 6882

Guru
Vessel Name
Intrepid
Vessel Make
North Pacific/ NP-45 Hull 10
Thinking of running over to gig harbor Wa for a couple days. Never been there and looking at the charts there are a lot of marinas. Do we have any locals to chime in on where i should try to dock to walk the town ect?

Arabella’s Landing is probably your best central location in GigHarbor. Tides Tavern has been the main watering hole for 60 years.

Thanks. I think our boat club had an event there. I haven't been to the town for some time. I transported a boat there for the museum a few years ago but didn't go into town.

That's where we are. If you get there early the town dock may have room, it's first come first serve, I believe it is free but there is a 2 or 3 night limit. The public dock is right next to pleasurecraft marina.... Most people with larger boats tend to anchor out and dingy in, There are dingy docks at the public dock, Tides Tavern, Anthony's and most likely the 7 seas..... Thursdays there is a farmers market at the park, Tuesday nights is concert in the park.... PM if you need other ideas..

Gig Harbor is my home port. As such, I don't have a visitors knowledge of the available transient moorage. Many visitors anchor in the harbor. There are some City Docks that can be used for dinghy access. Their are some great places to eat in the harbor, from great small diners, very good Mexican, Anthony's for spendy seafood, but the real treat is the Tides Tavern with their own dock. Starting early in the July and running through August, there is a cheap Trolly that runs through town that is very cheap and a great way to hop-on/hop-off to explore.

Many folks come to Gig Harbor and anchor out. Great holding in a very protected (if popular) anchorage.

Thanks for the feed back guys. should be a nice couple of days

With these low tides we have been getting are there any current or depth issues at the entrance to the harbor?

There is enough water even at a minus tide but, pay attention there are plenty of shallows at the entrance.

With these low tides we have been getting are there any current or depth issues at the entrance to the harbor?
At low tide, the entrance is very shallow but even with my sailboat with a 7' draft I was able to get into and out of the entrance at even the lowest tide. Here is a very rough sketch of how to enter the harbor. One thing to watch for is that on sunny and warm weekends the harbor can have lots of rental kayaks and paddleboards. These folks often are completely clueless and can clog the channel entrance. Usually, they will move when they see you coming, but watch out. It sometimes it necessary to give a short toot with the horn to get their attention. They aren't constrained by depth, you may be.
Stay in the center channel at the entrance around the point, then keep curving around to the NE as their is a shallow area that extends from the western shore.

Attachments

• GH_Entrance.jpg
    GH_Entrance.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 25
There was a kayaker parked in the center of the entrance yesterday afternoon, lots of boat in and out,he wouldn’t move, flipped one guy off. Hope he had fun.

There was a kayaker parked in the center of the entrance yesterday afternoon, lots of boat in and out,he wouldn’t move, flipped one guy off. Hope he had fun.
They can be a nuisance in the Harbor. Usually, they are just ignorant and oblivious. I think if they were intentionally sitting in the channel, I would call the GH Police. Particularly at low tide many boats don't have much room to maneuver.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom