SF to Seattle in a 1977 53 ft. wood trawler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Captain Leroy

Hi All,

We are completing repairs on our newly purchased 1977 53’ Grand Alaskan woody. We plan to bring her up the coast late summer/early fall.

Any comments, favorite ports, safety concerns that you have to share would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Leroy

Reactions: spd
Just checking, you have a current survey that says she is seaworthy and insurance for the trip?

Ok, glad to hear that part is handled. Do you want to harbor hop by day or are you prepared to run around the clock to take advantage of good weather windows?

I think the safest track would be by way of Oahu.

Please take the time to read up on others who have made that trip. There is a season that is best for the Northbound trip (I can't remember which). Friends that made the trip complained about the buoys for very deep crab pots making life difficult and the importance of keeping a good watch at all times.

The last time I made a run from SF to Seattle I saw Crab pots as deep as 400’. I recommend running in 500’ of water at night.

Rather than look for a specific depth look for the shelf break. Run outside the shelf break to stay clear of crab pot buoys. As crabbing gets more competitive and the seasons more intense and demanding the boats will set their gear deep without being on a steep slope. Here's a screen shot off the Washington coast that clearly shows what to look for. You'll see the bottom is not steep until the 100 fathom line. Then it's a cliff. I've made the run between Puget Sound and La Paz a number of times and seen pots out to the 100 fathom line. Depending of course on where the shelf break is.
Shelf break.jpg

I did the trip south maybe 15 years ago and plotted the course to stay on "the crab trap free lane". Guess they would still have it and except for crab trap "floaters" there were no active traps. I also used the thick cruising guide that covered each port and any dangers getting into them. This guide was published by Fine Edge Publishing in Anacortes. I found it to be indispensible with lots of need to know info. Our biggest wave problem was outside Bodega Bay with very large waves. My research then showed late August to be a good travel time but we still had two lay days due to bad weather.

Ive seen traps in water deeper than 600 feet. As far as crab trap free lane, that's a misnomer. Clever idea that never really caught on. Was more a way for the crabbers to know where commercial traffic would likely be but they didn't seem to respect it in a meaningful way. But that was 20 years ago. Maybe it's better but I doubt it.

Best season is when SF "Summer" sets in - temps in the city get to the upper 80s and lower 90s sometimes mid September through mid/late October. Means there's a giant high pressure that keeps things settled on the coast. Nice run.

Enjoy.

Peter

I just googled the Crab Trap Free Lane and see that they have updated the lane location as of 2023 . As Weebles said, I have no idea how well crabbers adhere to the coordinates but it seems risky to their livelihood to put traps where the tub boats are running.

My experience has been that the crabbers ignore the lanes. They also ignore shipping lanes, navigation channels, entrance bars or anything that gets in their way. I've heard (yes, dock talk) the lanes give the tug boats the ability to say, "Your fault, you put it there. We're not paying for lost pots or lost opportunity"

Back
Top Bottom