I have an 1981 PT 38 Trawler, 2" shaft, Perkins 185 aspirated, turbo,

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

richspree

Vessel Name
Settled
Vessel Make
1981 Cheer men PT 38 Europa
I have put all new instrumentation, the boat has been in a boat house for 40 years she is shocking to look at beautiful. I have redone a lot of stuff 10k on motor, 28K instruments, transmission plates, she is a 1995 motor, WHAT NEW MOTOR COULD I PUT IN THERE. I WOULD LIKE TO TRAVEL FAR AND WIDE.

hey all! thanks for being here. I love salt water, from long island, NY. the pnw is my new boating home. i hope to join a group of happy would trawling along. Any referrals? Richard

Why do you want to change the engine? Go faster?

David

Welcome aboard. Is there something maJor wrong with the Perkins? You will never recoup the cost of a new engine. I prefer Cummins if you are going the repower route. Cummins used to have a reman program that had 5.9 naturals for less money than new but with the new engine warranty.

Was the Perkins 10k hours or dollars? If dollars, why would you want to repower after putting $10k into it? You could do a rebuild for that money. Confused. 🤔

Mostly, We just purchased this boat and love everything about it. I was astounded to know when I left my boat at Alliant Marina for three months that I spent 10k on the motor, the cooler was clogged and needed overhaul, Then the flex plates in transmission broke up. We had those repaired on the fly in Bellingham by TriCounty a most competent shop. I see the boat looks like a million dollars but the motor seems to have troubles with 35000 hours and being a 1995 with limited parts availability, or so we are told.
It is never going to go faster and slow is pro, frankly fuel is not a problem. Are we on safe platform? The engine purrs and runs nice. Maybe, I am seeking a pros point of view. Seriously, they( above) did a lot of work, radar, monitors, up and down, auto pilot, chart plotter, had all this work done but I still haven’t been taken through the boat and showed all the upgrades cause of a lack of the managements time to show us. The finishing stuff, lockset on sliding door, where to find one, the anchor drops but reeling it up it wants to wind around the star looking thing. Is it the wrong size chain? Thanks to all of you boat lovers. I hope to meet you one day.

Attachments

• IMG_4545.jpeg
    IMG_4545.jpeg
    76.9 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_4579.jpeg
    IMG_4579.jpeg
    155.1 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_4578.jpeg
    IMG_4578.jpeg
    228.4 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_4547.jpeg
    IMG_4547.jpeg
    232.1 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_4475.jpeg
    IMG_4475.jpeg
    206 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_4476.jpeg
    IMG_4476.jpeg
    187.1 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_4478.jpeg
    IMG_4478.jpeg
    183.5 KB · Views: 10
35,000 hours! Where did the PO go to accumulate that many hours since 1995? In any case if you spent $10,000 on it yourself and it purrs, keep it.

Your windlass is not aligned with the bow roller and that is why the chain rides up. Chain size looks good. Not the prettiest solution, but the easiest: Angle the bow roller so it is pointing directly to the chain wheel on the windlass and rotate the windlass so everything lines up.

David

Not the prettiest solution, but the easiest: Angle the bow roller so it is pointing directly to the chain wheel on the windlass and rotate the windlass so everything lines up.

Or maybe move the whole bow roller assembly further to starboard, to better align with the gypsy...

And that's maybe make room for another bow roller assembly on the port side, to align with the capstan... and that way you'd always have a choice of anchors to match whatever the current substrate is... and the second one could be a hot spare for emergencies.

35,000 hours?

-Chris

Welcome aboard. Is there something maJor wrong with the Perkins? You will never recoup the cost of a new engine. I prefer Cummins if you are going the repower route. Cummins used to have a reman program that had 5.9 naturals for less money than new but with the new engine warranty.
Thank you mate. I’ve had a boat all my life and electric Duffy 22 Boston whaler 18 double under 32 all were gasoline and not nearly as nice. I was hoping I could just drop a new engine in and feel confident to go the distance. Reading three different books currently One about diesels the other one about engines and transmissions and anything mechanical on a boat, I have a full library of electrical mechanical. At 71 years of age, I don’t really wanna be doing engine work if you get my drift, even with the Duffy electric 22 Cuddy cabin , the batteries had to be changed every four years.

Back
Top Bottom