I told her I didn't want to buy a boat!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ReelNauti

Then I told her again and again but just like every other time we have a conversation like this she seems she finds a way. We really dont have time but I told her I would go to the boat show coming up soon. Thats when I started looking at some Catamaran's online just for giggles. We moved to Ormond Beach a couple of years ago, well we still have our house back in Ohio, but we are full time residents here in Fl now. While searching for Cats I saw a video where the owner was talking about kick up rudders which is perfect for the Bahama's and I was like, how the hell do you get your Cat all the way to.... and it hit me. I think you could've knocked me over with a feather. To boat from a marina in Fl to the Bahamas and spend a week or two whenever the he11 we wanted. Is this really possible? What all would be involved? Do I need an international license or anything? These probably seem like really silly questions but remember Im from Ohio, I just need to know the truth. I told the wife if we can sell one of our 3 houses then we can probably do this. Now Im looking at the new Powercat 53's ughh it never ends, but I do have lots of tiem to decide.

Keep reading and watching. The process of realizing the possibilities is a big part of the attraction!

Then I told her again and again but just like every other time we have a conversation like this she seems she finds a way. We really dont have time but I told her I would go to the boat show coming up soon. Thats when I started looking at some Catamaran's online just for giggles. We moved to Ormond Beach a couple of years ago, well we still have our house back in Ohio, but we are full time residents here in Fl now. While searching for Cats I saw a video where the owner was talking about kick up rudders which is perfect for the Bahama's and I was like, how the hell do you get your Cat all the way to.... and it hit me. I think you could've knocked me over with a feather. To boat from a marina in Fl to the Bahamas and spend a week or two whenever the he11 we wanted. Is this really possible? What all would be involved? Do I need an international license or anything? These probably seem like really silly questions but remember Im from Ohio, I just need to know the truth. I told the wife if we can sell one of our 3 houses then we can probably do this. Now Im looking at the new Powercat 53's ughh it never ends, but I do have lots of tiem to decide.

Sounds like she's awful - absolutely intolerable. Seriously, she insists on getting a boat? When the divorce is final.......let me know.

All kidding aside, fun post. Best success sounds like the beginning of a good story well told.

Peter

Would this be your first boat over 29 feet and cruised with more than a few ocean miles?

If so, my gut tells me you have a long ways to go before you invest and cruise in a boat worth more than $50K.

Owning a bigger boat definitely teaches one humility!
Along with a lot of other things, even if they all go right...if they go wrong?.... glad I boated the old fashion way.

Keep reading and watching. The process of realizing the possibilities is a big part of the attraction!
Thanks, I am currently reading as much as I can and finding out a lot of good information from those who have done this and done it well.
Sounds like she's awful - absolutely intolerable. Seriously, she insists on getting a boat? When the divorce is final.......let me know.

All kidding aside, fun post. Best success sounds like the beginning of a good story well told.

Peter
Lol. It very well could end up a story I tell to my grandkids and great grandkids.

Make no mistake, I am not taking this lightly. I fully plan to higher a captain to get me up to speed. I will only benefit from specific constructive criticism on things I will need to work on and know. General criticism doesnt work very well.

Ah, he can do it, I did - :)

Biggest before the whale to the left was a 21 foot outboard. Yeah, I needed training and I got it, doing alright. Only put a couple dings in the rub rail docking..., when the wind was blowing or the tide was running...

And that's a good reason for buying an old used boat - :)

Jeez, do you think my wife and your wife could be friends? My wife is warming up to the idea but it'd be a huge help if there was somebody else pushing her along besides me.

Jeez, do you think my wife and your wife could be friends? My wife is warming up to the idea but it'd be a huge help if there was somebody else pushing her along besides me.

Better yet, can we swap. Lol. Mindsets only. All my friends are huge fisherman and Im the odd man out without ever having much interest in owning a boat. After a few trips to the Bahamas and Carribean and I now have a newfound interest in boating

Ah, he can do it, I did - :)

Biggest before the whale to the left was a 21 foot outboard. Yeah, I needed training and I got it, doing alright. Only put a couple dings in the rub rail docking..., when the wind was blowing or the tide was running...

And that's a good reason for buying an old used boat - :)
For every one that "can do it".... another results in a really bad situation....that's if we are talking first time boat owners thinking long distance cruising is just another day boating.

I have had 2 careers dealing with those kinds of boating situations.

Hiring a captain is essential...but unless the captain is the best of the best....less than months and months of hands on training is woefully too short unless the trainee is that miracle 1% I have seen that picks up bigger boating and cruising like no one else.

Especially cruising over to the Bahamas which looks great in brochures but is fraught with those that lack experience and wind up in bad situations. Have had several VERY experienced friends that lost their boats or had them severely damages while others cruisers just flat out lost their lives over there. Imagine the outcomes for rookies

Again, you speak of perilous risks without one mention of very specific things that need to be known and worked on. Please list out what you think are the things that make a long distance cruise different from another day of boating. Im not doubting you, I just want to learn and understand.

Again, you speak of perilous risks without one mention of very specific things that need to be known and worked on. Please list out what you think are the things that make a long distance cruise different from another day of boating. Im not doubting you, I just want to learn and understand.
Took me 30 years with careers in the US Coast Guard and 15 years as a professional boat/yacht captain before I feel I had a decent handle on US cruising let alone international cruising and you want me to list what thousands of books are written about in an internet thread?

To back that up, I taught captain's licensing for years and had many students that had decades worth of experience that struggled with anything more than the very basics of boating.

The first thing you could do is buy a copy of Chapman Piloting & Seamanship and read it cover to cover. Each section demand months worth of study and research beyond just that book. It's more of an outline of things that you probably will need to know just to get started. Then there's the hands on training on every chapter.

Last edited:
Its obvious you have no real interest in helping me. I think I know why. I did not get to where I am in life by taking the easy way out. Enjoy your life, I certainly am enjoying my mine.
That there explains a lot....

If you lived near me, I would be glad to data dump on you for days. Maybe enjoying a cocktail while doing it. I have helped hundreds of boaters over my life both professionally and just as another boater...you have NO IDEA of what I am like... nor I you

I wish you luck on many levels, but to even start depends so much on where are YOU going to start your boating adventure. Getting a bunch of shotgunned answers here isn't really going to help much.

I am sure many here will give you encouragement... and they should... but others will also echo how many dreamers we get here.... that post one , maybe more posts and are never heard from again after a few reality checks. If your serious press on, but the best you can do right now is ask what books will help you along the way, but please map out a little of what your timeline, finances and abilities are.

Its obvious you have no real interest in helping me. I think I know why. I did not get to where I am in life by taking the easy way out. Enjoy your life, I certainly am enjoying my mine.
Don't discount psneed's advice and perspective. He is advising both realism and caution and he is advising those based on years of real world experience helping boaters like me.

I've got over 60 years of experience on the water. I've never had to be rescued but have needed a tow twice. That record over 6 decades is as much due to good fortune as it is knowledge and experience.

What you are envisioning is certainly possible and something that I think is worth pursuing. However, it is a type of cruising that either takes knowledge, training, and some experience, or it takes a lot of luck. Psneed is recommending the former. I agree with him.

Don't discount psneed's advice and perspective. He is advising both realism and caution and he is advising those based on years of real world experience helping boaters like me.

I've got over 60 years of experience on the water. I've never had to be rescued but have needed a tow twice. That record over 6 decades is as much due to good fortune as it is knowledge and experience.

What you are envisioning is certainly possible and something that I think is worth pursuing. However, it is a type of cruising that either takes knowledge, training, and some experience, or it takes a lot of luck. Psneed is recommending the former. I agree with him.
I am not discounting, far from it. After rereading, I believe i found a group that can truly help me.

Much depends on your resources you have available to you.
I made a jump from limited experience to a large boat and it hasn’t been without its challenges for sure. (I came from a seaplane background so I had lots of navigating, weather, radio and operational experience in the same geographic area which helped docking a boat is a lot easier than a seaplane in most cases!). I also read everything I could to learn.

If you have the budget for unlimited maintenance and a trusted support center they will come to the boat to help then everything is possible. Start with the training captain but they won’t make you self sufficient.
I’m competent but not self sufficient so I need the periodic support. There are always novel situations. In flying we have a saying that you hope your bucket of experience fills up before your bucket of luck is emptied.

Last edited:

Possible? Yes!

What is involved? A lot of time and money. They are somewhat fungible. Ongoing maintenance is the biggest sink for both time and money. Depending on the size, insurance company may require training. I always say that owning a boat is like what Edison supposedly said about invention: it is 1% inspiration (the romance of boating) and 99% perspiration (everything required to make boating possible).

License? No, except a rudimentary state quiz.

My recommendation: charter one and try it for a week or two. There are cats for charter in various places, or just charter a single. Best way to test the reality vs. romance.

The first thing to do is take a safe boating class to give you some basic boating knowledge. Then you will be able to have a basic understanding and will be able to ask questions that will help you. Check the CG Auxiliary or Power Squadron.

I think you will be fine since you are asking the questions. Its the folks who think they know everything i worry about. A lot depends on your experience and training in your life so far. If i was advising a 20 something i wouldn't know where to start. My wife and i have been in heavy construction since we were in high school. Having my wife jump in a 200ton crane is just normal. Having her dock the boat is simple. We have both been licensed helicopter pilots for 25 years so radio,weather and making that go no go decision is build in. I guess what i am getting at is just keep asking questions since we don't know your normal ability's. Everyone here will help you. Please dont take anyone's comments in a bad light. I rarely see anyone here being mean or distasteful. I do think it also helps in what boat you buy and how old it is and how it was maintained .

I am not discounting, far from it. After rereading, I believe i found a group that can truly help me.

First, being able to afford a 53-foot powercat (a very large boat) is harder than learning to comfortably operate one. Nice, well appointed boats are expensive to run and own - it may be affordable, but spending more than expected gets pretty annoying, especially trying to find competent technicians to cash the check. Unlike new cars, boats do not automatically come with a stem-to-stern warranty. Suggest you talk to other owners of the boat you're considering, preferably those who've owned for 5-years or so.

It may take a bit of searching and kissing frogs, but there are very competent skippers out there who can work with you to quickly gain skills to be comfortable using the boat - probably around $500/day. Will still be a lot to learn, but you can get a jumpstart. As a tip, you're looking for a good teacher, not necessarily the best captain (if that makes sense).

Final piece of free advice: boat market is changing back to a normal market. Upon resale, you can expect a sizeable loss plus it can take 6-12 months to sell, proving it's often easier to get into a deal than out.

Best regards

Peter

While searching for Cats I saw a video where the owner was talking about kick up rudders which is perfect for the Bahama's and I was like, how the hell do you get your Cat all the way to.... and it hit me. I think you could've knocked me over with a feather. To boat from a marina in Fl to the Bahamas and spend a week or two whenever the he11 we wanted. Is this really possible? What all would be involved? Do I need an international license or anything? ... Now Im looking at the new Powercat 53's ughh it never ends, but I do have lots of tiem to decide.

Some light reading:

You can do it... but there are ups and downs, pros and cons. Helps if you like to fix stuff... and know how. Less expensive to fly to the Islands from time to time.

-Chris

Thanks @mvweebles and @ranger58sb. I feel like Im getting some solid advice now. Im leaning towards new simply because it greatly reduces the risks of breakdowns but even if I end up with a used boat I do have solid background in mechanical and electrical repairs. Our Ohio house is a large log cabin and if you know anything about log cabins they are constant maintenance. I have a genie manlift and cat skid steer to take care of the house and land and they are even more maintenance than the house lol. The business I own reengineers variable frequency drives, so experience there will help with any electrical issues and I can even supply my own inverter system upgrade if need be. We have supplied VFD's to customers big and small. From a farmer down the road to Space X in Tx, the challenges we take on are not for the faint of heart. I truly enjoy a challenge and have already begun reading as much as I can about boating. Looking forward to getting some serious experience in.

All good advise as usual. If you're new to this as you insinuate, your best approach would be to find the right captain first before buying the boat. Someone knowledgeable and trustworthy to help you with the selection process. You want to know when to walk away far before getting into the survey process. There are engine and transmission packages that are better than others and some to avoid. Lots of other potential issues generators, air conditioners, pumps, leaking structures, etc. In the 50' range, the $100K and even $200K high priced similar boat may be a better buy.

These probably seem like really silly questions but remember Im from Ohio, I just need to know the truth. I told the wife if we can sell one of our 3 houses then we can probably do this.
You'll be fine. Native Ohioan here, now with 60+ years of salt water boating experience. I grew up near Cleveland watching "Adventures in Paradise" on daytime TV, and from an early age knew that I wanted to be Gardner McKay / Adam Troy. If I can make the transition, you sound like someone who surely can. You married wisely, so that's a promising sign.

Hang around the waterfront, look at boats and talk to boaters. Find someone to observe who's experienced, but who doesn't act like he knows everything, and you'll learn a lot. Chartering is a good way to stick your toes in the water, so to speak. Welcome to the TF!

You may want to watch the "Wandering Hillbilly" youtube videos to get some perspectives. The creator of the videos chartered the type and size boat that he finally purchased new, goes through the purchase break in and problems encountered with a new boat, moved it to the BVIs after cruising some in the Southeast, and then lost it on a beach. The sad part is, due to insurance issues, he has signed the boat over to the salvage company. Not sure what the actual cost to the owner was finally but it appears to be significant (cost of vessel plus a bunch of other cost to move non-operating vessel from the BVIs to Florida prior to signing title over to the salvage company).

Sorry to disagree, but I would discourage anyone from paying much attention to that guy. He should have stuck to his self-described career as a film director.
You think he is an anomaly in the boating world?

I agree that the guy was probably over his head...but isn't that the point? Too big, too far, too fast and probably an ego the size of Montana?

The internet is full of those stories and the internet just scratches the surface of these true tales.

Not trying to destroy anyone's dreams, just realize like has been posted that some boating is not as simple as it sounds. A bit of stair stepping an most anyone can get there... but like any "rags to riches" story..... land lubber to experienced safe, successful cruiser overnight is most likely a fairy tale. They do exists but what are you willing to risk to get there that fast versus enjoying the successful stair stepping, learning process along the way?

You think he is an anomaly in the boating world?

I agree that the guy was probably over his head...but isn't that the point? Too big, too far, too fast and probably an ego the size of Montana?

The internet is full of those stories and the internet just scratches the surface of these true tales.

Not trying to destroy anyone's dreams, just realize like has been posted that some boating is not as simple as it sounds. A bit of stair stepping an most anyone can get there... but like any "rags to riches" story..... land lubber to experienced safe, successful cruiser overnight is most likely a fairy tale. They do exists but what are you willing to risk to get there that fast versus enjoying the successful stair stepping, learning process along the way?

What you are advocating - stair-step over a lifetime - is certainly a tried and true method. The folks over on the TF's sister site for Sail "CruisersForum" seem to believe it's the only way it can be done. While it's a great way to grow-up, not all of us came to boating early in life. I've met dozens of people who worked hard, amassed a decent nest egg and took a breath when the last kid was off to college. One day, one of the pair has the "Honey, let's buy a boat!!!" epiphany.

So they hire professionals skilled in launching not just boats, but cruising dreams. It works well - people who can afford large-ish boats have often made their way in life finding professional accountants, engineers, lawyers, doctors, etc. They understand the value proposition; and they understand they don't know a lot of stuff and will have to fill gaps along the way.

When I was delivering, about half my business was new Nordhavn owners. About half of those owners had almost no large boat experience. By the time their boat was delivered they knew a fair amount about the boat itself. By the time I showed-up to spend 3-weeks together or so, we'd have a plan for close-quarter maneuvering, anchoring, and then the passage related skills on the delivery north. By the time we arrived at final destination, they were pretty comfortable with the boat and were ready to fly solo. Ready to cross and ocean? No, but that was not their goal - their goal was to drop an anchor somewhere and have a private toast of wine with each other to congratulate their accomplishment.

There are several ways to skin a cat. Lifetime of experience is fine. But innoculation by hiring the right professionals is another.

Peter

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom