Liability Only Insurance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

omoore

Vessel Name
Southern Lady
Vessel Make
Grand Banks 42 1971 Woodie
I am looking for the proverbial needle in the haystack--liability insurance for a 1970 wood Grand Bank 42 which is docked in Bridgetom, NC. I am desparate!!!!!

Based on TF threads(I`m not in USA),TF member Pau Hana seems to have placed and often improved coverage for many members with insurance issues.

I am looking for the proverbial needle in the haystack--liability insurance for a 1970 wood Grand Bank 42 which is docked in Bridgetom, NC. I am desparate!!!!!
Please update with whatever you find (or don't find). I've come to believe that low cost kiability-only insurance is a bit of a myth these days. My search yielded premiums that we're not significantly less than full coverage hull insurance. Particularly vexing was it excluded certain countries for coverage due to crime concerns where drug trade is prevelsnt. I never got an answer how theft of a boat could result in a liability claim, let alone why a drug trafficker would steal a 7-knot boat.

Peter

I will give a progress (hopefully) on Monday.

While every boat and situation is always going to impact insurance, when I was losing mine and having trouble getting normal coverage in Florida, I investigated Liability only. I could afford to lose my hull and absorb the loss, what I didn't want to lose was money in a suit, oil spill or salvaging the vessel.

I discussed liability, spill and salvage combined with Pau Hana and he seemed that it would be no problem and definitely less money than a normal full coverage policy. Again that was me and at a certain point in time several years back.

Never needed it as my regular insurance got picked up and the boat was sold in even the grace period of the new policy.

Based on TF threads(I`m not in USA),TF member Pau Hana seems to have placed and often improved coverage for many members with insurance issues.
+1. Peter Ricks. 206-350-5051

How do I reach Pau Hana?

Comodave helpfully provided Peter Ricks phone. If I was over there I`d certainly consult him, he makes a lot of sense unlike some insurance people. BTW, TF has a PM system for personally messaging another member, see that envelope icon top right of screen next to your name.

I did. No insurance within 50 miles of salt water!!!!!
What? This is new, they held insurance on my 1971 GB36. Full coverage.

What is your boating resume, I often thought that influenced insurers, not just the boat.

Retired publishing director of Yachting. A lifetime of boats from a Bertram 20 to a 58 Hat MY which is I took back and forth from CT to FL and the Bahamas for 12 years. Also sailboats: Ocean racing Bermuda etc. Sailed in the A-Cup. Never had a claim.

I have a Liability Only/Agreed Value policy with Progressive. Good out to 75 miles.

I am a good Progressive customer--2 cars, motorhome and 3 motorcycles. Would not insure 54-year old wood Grand Banks 42

I posted--Markel Liability only as well as hull.

Progressive Insurance. That's what I have and you do it all online. Just to be clear, liability only, no coverage for my boat.

You must have missed my post above about Progressive

Progressive Insurance. That's what I have and you do it all online. Just to be clear, liability only, no coverage for my boat.
Does it cover (then how much per) for environmental cleanup and salvage?

Please update with whatever you find (or don't find). I've come to believe that low cost kiability-only insurance is a bit of a myth these days. My search yielded premiums that we're not significantly less than full coverage hull insurance. Particularly vexing was it excluded certain countries for coverage due to crime concerns where drug trade is prevelsnt. I never got an answer how theft of a boat could result in a liability claim, let alone why a drug trafficker would steal a 7-knot boat.

Peter

I switched to State Farm, recently and am pleased with the price and coverage.

I got LIABILITY for my 1973 TOLLYCRAFT 34 Flybridge sedan from SkiSafe. Was about $690 per year. No one else would insure my boat. Try them

Back
Top Bottom