Liquor on boat going in and out of Canada

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cbouch

We are in Clayton ny and planning to go into Canada for a couple of days then in a couple of weeks going going up the Trent Severn. Question: what is your experience bringing wine and liquor into Canada on a boat??nothing crazy but for sure more than the normal allowance if your were traveling by car. Any experience with ships stores?? Thanks, cliff

We are in Clayton ny and planning to go into Canada for a couple of days then in a couple of weeks going going up the Trent Severn. Question: what is your experience bringing wine and liquor into Canada on a boat??nothing crazy but for sure more than the normal allowance if your were traveling by car. Any experience with ships stores?? Thanks, cliff
It will be interesting to see other's replies. I've heard that if it's open it doesn't count. OK for liquor, maybe OK for wine. Not at all good for beer.

It varies depending on the day, location, and agent, but the general rule we encounter on a cruising boat is that alcohol on board be a reasonable amount for use on the boat on the trip you are undertaking. They can choose to limit you to the allowed max per person (available online). Worst case, as long as you have declared what you have, is that they charge you duty on the excess bottles. Contrary to popular opinion, calling your liquor part of your ship’s stores doesn’t give you a pass to exceed their idea of a reasonable quantity.
Just be honest and complete with your declarations of what you have on board. Doing otherwise can get you in big trouble.

Just curious, what are the allowed limits? We 99% don’t drink, and have the same bottle of wine on the boat as we return to Seattle that we had when we departed in March, so it’s not something on our radar screen.

The limits, per person, are one bottle of wine or one bottle or one case of beer. That is from memory but pretty close.

To me might be what is the price of those items once in Canada. No reason to carry a lot if it can be bought there reasonably. Unless the law is about carrying on a vessel versus alcohol that doesn't have a Canadian origin.

The allowance isn't any different for a boat vs a car. Excess is dutiable at the agent's discretion.

If you're not aware, there is a strike on at the LCBO in Ontario that may last a while. Beer and to a lesser extent wine is available, but spirits may be hard to get while the strike is on.

To me might be what is the price of those items once in Canada. No reason to carry a lot if it can be bought there reasonably. Unless the law is about carrying on a vessel versus alcohol that doesn't have a Canadian origin.
I don't have any problem with buying Canadian with regard to price or taxes. Support the economy I'm visiting after all. But I find the selections lacking in what I want so bring plenty when I go.

Don't know where I got it, so call it dock talk, supposedly the limits are to prevent imports, not personal consumption.

OK, it has been pre covid, have not boated south since. I always declared by memory what I had and never had a problem. But I was never boarded so am unaware of process if you are boarded.
I do recall reporting the purchase of food and drink, reporting to Canadian via nexus that I bought a case of beer. A case? How many cans or bottles was the question. I guess he knew you yanks sell more than a dozen in a case.
Final question, will any of it leave the boat, no, OK then.

I hope both sides are still of the same mindset that as long as it is consumed on the vessel, (after it stops) why would they care. The difference by car is it leaves the car to be consumed.

Here is a copy of the tips we got from our last visit with CBP.

Attachments

• Border Crossing Tips.pdf
    677.5 KB · Views: 210
@Bob Cofer
Do you have Nexus. Trying to understand if Nexus alone is no longer enough with the CPB app arrival. Previously I just gave my Nexus info and did not need more.

If you amd everyone else on the boat are Nexus holders you can use either the ROAM app or call the Nexus center to report entering the US. If you use the app you enter all the traveler information once and it is stored for future use. If you call the center you have to give them the same info each time. In either case you will be approved or you will be directed to an inspection station. I’ve used both methods this year. An agent told me to contact either one as soon as I was in US waters in case they wanted me to report to an inspection station — Friday Harbor, Anacortes, or Bellingham were the ones he mentioned but Seattle and Everett probably are too.

Most recent entry was 2019 for a 2 mo stay and I reported a stocked bar aboard. I was prepared with inventory (I made sure all were opened) but agent declined offer. I was asked whether all were for our personal consumption (yes), any was for gifts or to be left in Canada (no).
Beer and liquor must be taxed higher than wine as we have found wine prices closer to US than beer & liquor.
I believe import limits are still 1 L/ alcohol person OR 1 case of beer.
You will never go wrong with the truth and unreported can be serious if boarded & checked... its happened twice to us in 30 yrs of cruising / crossing.

@Bob Cofer
Do you have Nexus. Trying to understand if Nexus alone is no longer enough with the CPB app arrival. Previously I just gave my Nexus info and did not need more.
We have NEXUS. It is all that is required.

Returning after 48 hours or more
  • You can claim goods worth up to CAN$800 without paying any duty and taxes.
  • You must have the goods with you when you enter Canada.
  • You can bring back up to 1.5 litres of wine or 1.14 litres of alcoholic beverages or up to 8.5 litres of beer.
  • You can bring back 200 cigarettes, 50 cigars, 200 grams of manufactured tobacco and 200 tobacco sticks.*
  • Some tobacco products* and alcoholic beverages may be included in your personal exemption.
  • If you exceed your personal exemption limit, please see Special Duty Rate.

Having friends with much larger boats, who do carry “ship’s stock”, I went fishing in Canada last year and stopped for entry in Victoria. We had significantly more than our allowance as we were traveling to a remote location for an extended trip. We cleared by phone, with an agent on the east coast. We presented the inventory, to the last ounce, saying it was “ship’s stock”. The agent got a good laugh out of it, told us “ship’s stock” did not apply to us, and said to follow the limits next time. My recollection is that the limit is greater than what has been written here previously … something like two bottles of wine, or a full case of beer, or a fifth of whiskey plus a six-pack or two of beer, or different combinations, but not one bottle per person. I think “ship’s stock” comes into play when the craft is large enough to legitimately be called your “residence”. The Canadian customs agents have, in my many experiences, all been very decent … honesty is always the best policy, but even then you might catch one on a bad day as they are only human.

Magic phrase is Ships Stores. Covers everything on board for personal consumption. If you are delivering or selling you must declare.

I led cruises powerboat cruises to and in Nova Scotia every summer from 2013 to 2019, and my guidance to our groups was simple:

"The guidelines on bringing alcohol into Canada used for yachts are similar to those used for cruise ships. At the discretion of the CBSA inspector, a reasonable amount of alcohol (beyond the normal personal exemption) that would be consumed during the visit is allowed in duty-free. The remainder needs to be
inventoried and locked up separately for the duration of the visit and may be inspected prior to
departure."

I recommended that, when asked, captains state truthfully that all onboard alcohol is “for
personal consumption onboard the yacht during our visit to Canada.

The guidance quoted above was taken verbatim from Canada's_Ocean_Playground_Marine_Guide_Nova_Scotia_72.pdf
2021 Edition, Canada's Ocean Playground - Your Voyage to Nova Scotia, Canada. You'll find this a very useful publication if you plan to cruise in Atlantic Canada, especially Nova Scotia, PEI, and Newfoundland, all of which offer terrific cruising possibities.

I also cruised in Canada prior to 2013 when the rules were not nearly so lenient!

Milt Baker, former Nordhavn 47 Bluewater

I led cruises powerboat cruises to and in Nova Scotia every summer from 2013 to 2019, and my guidance to our groups was simple:

"The guidelines on bringing alcohol into Canada used for yachts are similar to those used for cruise ships. At the discretion of the CBSA inspector, a reasonable amount of alcohol (beyond the normal personal exemption) that would be consumed during the visit is allowed in duty-free. The remainder needs to be
inventoried and locked up separately for the duration of the visit and may be inspected prior to
departure."

I recommended that, when asked, captains state truthfully that all onboard alcohol is “for
personal consumption onboard the yacht during our visit to Canada.

The guidance quoted above was taken verbatim from Canada's_Ocean_Playground_Marine_Guide_Nova_Scotia_72.pdf
2021 Edition, Canada's Ocean Playground - Your Voyage to Nova Scotia, Canada. You'll find this a very useful publication if you plan to cruise in Atlantic Canada, especially Nova Scotia, PEI, and Newfoundland, all of which offer terrific cruising possibities.

I also cruised in Canada prior to 2013 when the rules were not nearly so lenient!

Milt Baker, former Nordhavn 47 Bluewater
Your link requires an account and password. Please post another way.

Returning after 48 hours or more
  • You can claim goods worth up to CAN$800 without paying any duty and taxes.
  • You must have the goods with you when you enter Canada.
  • You can bring back up to 1.5 litres of wine or 1.14 litres of alcoholic beverages or up to 8.5 litres of beer.
  • You can bring back 200 cigarettes, 50 cigars, 200 grams of manufactured tobacco and 200 tobacco sticks.*
  • Some tobacco products* and alcoholic beverages may be included in your personal exemption.
  • If you exceed your personal exemption limit, please see Special Duty Rate.
These theoretical are tax exemption, not what you can bring back.
The best advice I can give: don't try to cheat and declare what you have. The CBP agents are good people with common sense most of the case and even if you go reasonably beyond the allowed quota they won't bother.
As an example I often travel to europe and bring back twice more wine than allowed but declare it. They never ask us to pay taxes but are very happy to see that we are honest enough to declare it.
Now about tax free allowance vs what you can really bring back. You are entitle to bring about 10L of wine, not remembering the exact limit. This is the limit of what is considered for personal consumption. For this quantity you will need to pay taxes but still you can. As another example, My wife and I got married in europe and most of our guest offered us wine bottle as they know we love wine. Result was that we had to bring back about 12L of wine we us. We declared that went through custom to pay our due and when we told the CBP lady that this was our wedding gift she charged us less than 20$ for it.
So in summary, be honest and you will mostly go through without any trouble.

L

Reading the regulations, "Ship's stores" seems to apply if it is for consumption on the boat. Tried it checking in by phone last time we entered and was told that it didn't apply to recreational boats. However, they couldn't be bothered to come and collect for it, so we got a pass. Another time, earlier, we had been given a dozen bottles of wine. I declared them and was given a free pass. In eight or ten entries to Canada in various boats we have always checked in by phone, never seen a customs agent, so you could cheat -- but my policy is never lie to border agents 'cause they can ban you from the country and we'd hate to lose that.

I find that in the Maritimes, wine is 50% more expensive that the cheapest stores in Massachusetts, but the real problem is that the stores are often a fair hike from the harbor

Jim

Cliff,
The limitations on alcohol going in to Canada are posted. We are based in Clayton and we follow their guidelines and always state that in addition to a little beer and usually two bottles of wine we have “ship’s stores” . These are open bottles of alcohol, wine, scotch, rum or whatever. The concern for customs is that you are not bringing alcohol in to resell as it is significantly more expensive in Canada than in the States. If the seal is broken and it cannot be resold, they are not really concerned. We have never been questioned about what is in Ship’s Stores and we go to Canada 3 or 4 time each year.

Currently, the Liquor Control Board of Ontario, LCBO, is on strike and adult beverages are very scarce in the province.
Our experience is to explain to the customs agent that we are fulltime liveaboards and we have a fully stocked 'ships store' supply, above the normal limits. Never had a problem yet.

Magic phrase is Ships Stores. Covers everything on board for personal consumption. If you are delivering or selling you must declare.
Finally: The correct answer! In my experience entering Canada by vessel, twice in July 2024, "Yes, we have alcohol to declare. It is all just for Ships Stores, (for the crew), and will not be leaving the boat."

That vocabulary for entering Canada by boat will eliminate the need for listing any inventory, opened or closed.

"Ships Stores" may or may not be correct.

From the Regs, Ships Stores are:
- goods that are consumed on board by persons on board (ok, that applies)
- kept under lock and seal when in port (uh...how many do this? how is this policed?)
- a pleasure vessel doesn't really fit any of the definitions of conveyance vessels in the Schedule (hmm).

I guess its best to know the Regs, so if questioned you can talk/navigate your way through the Regs with the Agent to prove you are in the clear.

It's always been pretty easy if you are up front with them. Occasionally, you will hear the agent on the phone in Ottowa roll their eyes when you talk about ships stores, but almost always if you are over the duty-free limit, they just tell you not to do it again. But remember, the US has almost the same rules. If you come back into the States it's the same duty-free limit and they don't have the same sense of humor.

I got the eye roll in person the only time I mentioned “ship’s stores”. The CBSA officer said he preferred that we just tell them what alcohol we have and that is for use on the boat. He made it clear that, at least for him, there is no magic to a term that really doesn’t apply to a rec boat. We have crossed quite a few times (dozens) and the magic for us has been to be honest and accurate in declaring what we have. No magic terms necessary.

I got the eye roll in person the only time I mentioned “ship’s stores”. The CBSA officer said he preferred that we just tell them what alcohol we have and that is for use on the boat. He made it clear that, at least for him, there is no magic to a term that really doesn’t apply to a rec boat. We have crossed quite a few times (dozens) and the magic for us has been to be honest and accurate in declaring what we have. No magic terms necessary.

Our experience is the same. The "magic phrase" is simply to be honest and declare what you have. They have never cared if we had an extra bottle or two (or a couple of opened spirits bottles).

In our experience (BC) they have been much more concerned about the various restrictions on meat and fruit / vegetables than wine or liquor.

It is a good reason & opportunity to try Canadian wineries!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom