Liquor on boat going in and out of Canada

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cbouch

We are in Clayton ny and planning to go into Canada for a couple of days then in a couple of weeks going going up the Trent Severn. Question: what is your experience bringing wine and liquor into Canada on a boat??nothing crazy but for sure more than the normal allowance if your were traveling by car. Any experience with ships stores?? Thanks, cliff

We are in Clayton ny and planning to go into Canada for a couple of days then in a couple of weeks going going up the Trent Severn. Question: what is your experience bringing wine and liquor into Canada on a boat??nothing crazy but for sure more than the normal allowance if your were traveling by car. Any experience with ships stores?? Thanks, cliff
It will be interesting to see other's replies. I've heard that if it's open it doesn't count. OK for liquor, maybe OK for wine. Not at all good for beer.

It varies depending on the day, location, and agent, but the general rule we encounter on a cruising boat is that alcohol on board be a reasonable amount for use on the boat on the trip you are undertaking. They can choose to limit you to the allowed max per person (available online). Worst case, as long as you have declared what you have, is that they charge you duty on the excess bottles. Contrary to popular opinion, calling your liquor part of your ship’s stores doesn’t give you a pass to exceed their idea of a reasonable quantity.
Just be honest and complete with your declarations of what you have on board. Doing otherwise can get you in big trouble.

Just curious, what are the allowed limits? We 99% don’t drink, and have the same bottle of wine on the boat as we return to Seattle that we had when we departed in March, so it’s not something on our radar screen.

The limits, per person, are one bottle of wine or one bottle or one case of beer. That is from memory but pretty close.

To me might be what is the price of those items once in Canada. No reason to carry a lot if it can be bought there reasonably. Unless the law is about carrying on a vessel versus alcohol that doesn't have a Canadian origin.

The allowance isn't any different for a boat vs a car. Excess is dutiable at the agent's discretion.

If you're not aware, there is a strike on at the LCBO in Ontario that may last a while. Beer and to a lesser extent wine is available, but spirits may be hard to get while the strike is on.

To me might be what is the price of those items once in Canada. No reason to carry a lot if it can be bought there reasonably. Unless the law is about carrying on a vessel versus alcohol that doesn't have a Canadian origin.
I don't have any problem with buying Canadian with regard to price or taxes. Support the economy I'm visiting after all. But I find the selections lacking in what I want so bring plenty when I go.

Don't know where I got it, so call it dock talk, supposedly the limits are to prevent imports, not personal consumption.

OK, it has been pre covid, have not boated south since. I always declared by memory what I had and never had a problem. But I was never boarded so am unaware of process if you are boarded.
I do recall reporting the purchase of food and drink, reporting to Canadian via nexus that I bought a case of beer. A case? How many cans or bottles was the question. I guess he knew you yanks sell more than a dozen in a case.
Final question, will any of it leave the boat, no, OK then.

I hope both sides are still of the same mindset that as long as it is consumed on the vessel, (after it stops) why would they care. The difference by car is it leaves the car to be consumed.

Here is a copy of the tips we got from our last visit with CBP.

Attachments

• Border Crossing Tips.pdf
    677.5 KB · Views: 76
@Bob Cofer
Do you have Nexus. Trying to understand if Nexus alone is no longer enough with the CPB app arrival. Previously I just gave my Nexus info and did not need more.

If you amd everyone else on the boat are Nexus holders you can use either the ROAM app or call the Nexus center to report entering the US. If you use the app you enter all the traveler information once and it is stored for future use. If you call the center you have to give them the same info each time. In either case you will be approved or you will be directed to an inspection station. I’ve used both methods this year. An agent told me to contact either one as soon as I was in US waters in case they wanted me to report to an inspection station — Friday Harbor, Anacortes, or Bellingham were the ones he mentioned but Seattle and Everett probably are too.

Most recent entry was 2019 for a 2 mo stay and I reported a stocked bar aboard. I was prepared with inventory (I made sure all were opened) but agent declined offer. I was asked whether all were for our personal consumption (yes), any was for gifts or to be left in Canada (no).
Beer and liquor must be taxed higher than wine as we have found wine prices closer to US than beer & liquor.
I believe import limits are still 1 L/ alcohol person OR 1 case of beer.
You will never go wrong with the truth and unreported can be serious if boarded & checked... its happened twice to us in 30 yrs of cruising / crossing.

@Bob Cofer
Do you have Nexus. Trying to understand if Nexus alone is no longer enough with the CPB app arrival. Previously I just gave my Nexus info and did not need more.
We have NEXUS. It is all that is required.

Back
Top Bottom