Mainship Starter Issues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jlombardo

Veteran Member
Vessel Make
1998 Mainship 31 Sedan Bridge
I have a 1998 Mainship Sedan Bridge 31' with twin Marine Power 5.7 (350 GM) motors. This past weekend I took it out for a sunset cruise and made several stops along the way. The last time I went to start it, the starboard motor would not start. I limped into the dock on one motor. After some review I realized that the starter was not making any clicks or anything. I have 2 batteries on the starboard side, so I know that power wasn't the problem. I took a screwdriver and jumped it bypassing the starter solenoid. This told me that it is the solenoid, or so I thought. The next morning, I went out and purchased a new solenoid for $65 at a NAPA store (ripped off). After installing it I had my wife try to start it but no luck. Being upset, I cleaned up everything and went up on the bridge. I wasn't willing to accept the fact that it didn't work, so I tried starting it myself and it started. I then proceeded to take it out to the ocean to do some fishing. Good day catching many fish, but nothing big. I was drifting so I used the new solenoid many times during the day starting the motors at the end of each drift. On our final drift, the motor wouldn't start. I used the same screwdriver and bypassed the solenoid to get it running. When I got back to the dock, I tried several more times to get it to start but no luck. I did try pressing hard on the switch thinking that maybe that is where the issue is.

Is it possible to check that the ignition switch is delivering the proper power to the solenoid for engaging it. Would I just use a voltmeter by placing it between the single wire and the small solenoid screw?

Based on the description, does anyone have any other thoughts?

A friend of mine suggested that it could be a dirty connection on a fuse. Any Mainship owners out there with knowledge of a motor fuse and its location?

Any Mainship owners aware of a place to purchase a new ignition switch?

Thank you,
John

Jiggle the heck out of the clutch back & forth. It sounds like the safety switch either on the control or the transmission.

Not sure I’d be comfortable jumping the solenoid in a gas engine boat.

Back
Top Bottom