Major damage :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The adjusters findings are of no import, that yard isn't doing the work they suck.

Get your own estimate, have the yards insurance pay you direct so you can use a contractor of your choice, at their yard.

If the yard says they must fix it not your contractor,

get a lawyer to do an Order to Show Cause it will be resolved in about 10 days by a judge.

THis is taking entirely too long to resolve

SLINGS

Every boat will eventually need to be hauled , most common is the Travilift with 2 or more slings.

AS an emergency could require the boat to be hauled at a strange yard it might be wise to mark the deck with the preferred location for the slings at all times.

A painted arrow works a plastic sign glued to the deck is nicer.

"BE PREPARED" n the old Boy Scout motto still is valid.

Who was builder?

Sorry too long a thread to read it all
But have you talked about what you list as "custom built " boat.
This will raise a red flag for all concerned, if it's home built the insurance is stuck with the bill , the yard is going to say it was not made right.
If it was made by a reputable builder who stands behind his work some sort if approval or sigh off on the design and or original build should get you out of that denial of claim .
Cheers Warren

I had a similar situation occur. Although it took a lot longer than it should have we learn and can move on when its all said and done.

Once it's fixed and your back in the water it will quickly be behind you. Hoping for a reasonable response from your insurance company! :thumb:

Update:
Meeting scheduled with my own surveyor early next week.

L

I'm sure it will all be sorted out in the end, but it is a shame that it is taking so long; especially during your short prime time cruising season.
Its really not that big of a job to repair, and it could possibly be finished by now if the work commenced when the problem was discovered.

I share you frustrations Lou.

I'm sure it will all be sorted out in the end, but it is a shame that it is taking so long; especially during your short prime time cruising season.
Its really not that big of a job to repair, and it could possibly be finished by now if the work commenced when the problem was discovered.

I share you frustrations Lou.
Now I just aim to have my planned 3 weeks cruise in September and put that behind.
Like for everything else I will have learned a lot from that story. Just keeping things in perspective, nobody was injured, my wife and I are healthy, I still feel fortunate.

My only disappointment is to see some people behavior like always, but I am a kind of dreamer who still have faith in some value that some does not have...

L

Keep the faith Lou,there are good people out there. It`s taking time but that`s insurance,it may turn out ok.
But, watch them like a hawk. Remember the old saying: "an Englishman`s word is his bond, but get it in writing".

The cradle idea does make sense if you always plan to be hauled at the same place, but if you're on the move it might be more trouble than it's worth.

Exactly my thought. I've been hauled on both coasts & countries in-between, & not all experiences were planned.

I helped a guy with similar damage. It took him a few days to grind out and glass back up using epoxy and 1708. Most of the time was spent waiting for epoxy to set between steps, and fairing/painting.

Only thing that may complicate this is if repair must extend below that interior tank.

Should not be a big job, hopefully.

I helped a guy with similar damage. It took him a few days to grind out and glass back up using epoxy and 1708. Most of the time was spent waiting for epoxy to set between steps, and fairing/painting.

Only thing that may complicate this is if repair must extend below that interior tank.

Should not be a big job, hopefully.
The interior tank will be removed but it is easy to remove it, it is well accessible. I will take the opportunity to replace all sanitary hoses.
Two sensors need also to be removed and put back in place what is not a big deal.

L

Update:

Met with my own surveyor today who inspected damages.
Plan is next to wait for insurance to reply (yes they did not yet) and decide on the next action to be taken.

Note: my surveyor is a really nice person, highly qualified and very knowledgeable, it was truly a pleasure to meet him and spend these few hours in is company. I was happy to find my surveyor for the next years! (infinite thanks to boatpoker to have connected me to this person).

L

Update:

Met with my own surveyor today who inspected damages.
Plan is next to wait for insurance to reply (yes they did not yet) and decide on the next action to be taken.

Note: my surveyor is a really nice person, highly qualified and very knowledgeable, it was truly a pleasure to meet him and spend these few hours in is company. I was happy to find my surveyor for the next years! (infinite thanks to boatpoker to have connected me to this person).

L
This is good to hear. Hopefully, the ball will start rolling soon.

Last week I received an email from the insurance guy stating that I can start the repair, insurance agreed to pay for it. I asked him to send me an “official” paper stating this and how much they will pay etc.
Friday I called him back again as I did not received any news, he was surprised to see me asking for that. As I explained him, a text message on a phone coming from an unknown man is not a contract... Long story short I received the paper 1h ago. However as nothing is perfect, he dis a mistake on my name so he will have to resend it to me...
Looks like the insurance will go after the marina.

Boating season is ruined for me so I am not even sure to put it on water at all this year. Don’t want to bother to splash it for few weeks before hauling again. Will see.

Stay tune for more on this roman.

L

Gkad you are finally making some progress. But sorry that you lost the season. Too bad you can’t charge the yard for your lost season.

Gkad you are finally making some progress. But sorry that you lost the season. Too bad you can’t charge the yard for your lost season.
I am questioning myself about going after them to claim for losses I incurred, like first my insurance deductible, my season loss, the fees I paid for the dock that I did not use, travel expenses for back and forth to the boat and so on.
Not sure yet I want to jump into procedures etc, I am so tired about this...

We had 3 weeks cruise planned for September and as I do not want to rush to get everything ready on time (it will be very tight looking at the maintenance I still have to do) we cancelled that. We will go for a 3 weeks road trip around Nova Scotia, at least that is something we wanted to do much for quite some time and this will make me think about something else...

L

Boating season is ruined for me so I am not even sure to put it on water at all this year. Don’t want to bother to splash it for few weeks before hauling again. Will see.

Stay tune for more on this roman.

L

Go after marina for loss of use too or have insurer do so.

Now, I would splash and use it, even if briefly, to check the quality of all repairs. Otherwise you'll be reporting problems long after a normal period of time.

I am questioning myself about going after them to claim for losses I incurred, like first my insurance deductible, my season loss, the fees I paid for the dock that I did not use, travel expenses for back and forth to the boat and so on.
Not sure yet I want to jump into procedures etc, I am so tired about this...

L

Not sure if Canada has the equivalent of US Small Claims Court. In US it's typically limits of $5000 to $10000, no lawyers required and a lot of leeway on procedures.

I googled and see Canada has such with limit of $25000 but simplified rules. Cost is likely very low.

Here in the U.S. small claims court is a very easy procedure; just be well-prepared & professional in attire & demeanor. If you have any doubts, just pay a visit during a court session & see how things are handled in other cases.

Here in the U.S. small claims court is a very easy procedure; just be well-prepared & professional in attire & demeanor. If you have any doubts, just pay a visit during a court session & see how things are handled in other cases.
Well, before you go there, first check the jurisdictional limits in small claims (in my state it's $12,000, you waive any recovery over that); but maybe more importantly, just because you win a judgment doesn't mean you collect or recover a dime. Still have to chase your own recovery. Last resort in my opinion, when other approaches have failed.

Man, what a bummer. The whole season shot. On my last boat, I had some major drive repairs that took months off of my already short season. I also had a trip planned with my sister and brother in law. We did the same thing, and ended up taking a road trip out to Cape Cod. It was fun, and I'm glad we went, but it was born from a lot of frustration. Sorry Lou, I hope your road trip is a good one!

Man, what a bummer. The whole season shot. On my last boat, I had some major drive repairs that took months off of my already short season. I also had a trip planned with my sister and brother in law. We did the same thing, and ended up taking a road trip out to Cape Cod. It was fun, and I'm glad we went, but it was born from a lot of frustration. Sorry Lou, I hope your road trip is a good one!
No worry it will be a great one, we rented 2 wonderful houses on the shore for 14 in Nova Scotia and we will make around 6000km in 3 weeks following Atlantic shoreline in our summer ride so this will be wonderful.
Moreover I will visit lot of fishing ports and the hometown ( and home province) of my boat engine! I just hope to find a fisherman who will tell me that he has the same engine as I have or at least knows it. I would love it as I may be the last one running!

L

Well, before you go there, first check the jurisdictional limits in small claims (in my state it's $12,000, you waive any recovery over that); but maybe more importantly, just because you win a judgment doesn't mean you collect or recover a dime. Still have to chase your own recovery. Last resort in my opinion, when other approaches have failed.

Chasing recovery is a challenge in any court. That's why you sometimes win by default as the other side knows they're judgement proof so why spend money on a lawyer.

Apart from losing much of the season, essentially positive news,well done Lou.
Consequential loss claims can be difficult,maybe whether you do or not might clarify itself post repair and post road trip. Watch that the insurer doesn`t settle with the Yard under it`s subrogated rights and release them.

Best avoid Manitoba,2 possible villains on the loose there. Can you visit PEI on your trip, or is it too far?

Apart from losing much of the season, essentially positive news,well done Lou.
Consequential loss claims can be difficult,maybe whether you do or not might clarify itself post repair and post road trip. Watch that the insurer doesn`t settle with the Yard under it`s subrogated rights and release them.

Best avoid Manitoba,2 possible villains on the loose there. Can you visit PEI on your trip, or is it too far?
PEI is a stop on our way back after our 2 weeks in Nova Scotia.
I am not worrying too much about the two villains, they will certainly end as a bear breakfast shortly :)

L

If for no other reason, I would splash the boat to move it to a different boatyard for the coming winter. I couldn't imagine voluntarily spending any more money with this boatyard.

Ted

I'd get the repair done already. I don't know what kind of quotes you have gotten, but to me this looks like a pretty easy repair. Looks horrible, but the fix is just basic glasswork.

Rent a boat and send them a bill.
But that will just drive everybody's rates up.
Catch 22 ..

Back
Top Bottom