Marine Trader vs.CHB PT vs Ocean Alexander

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Anewlease

Okay folks, I'm looking for advice.

I am in the trawler market and have my sites on three boats, each a different builder.

And I'm looking for opinions on each brand (not the specific boats I'm looking at).

Which of these three brands do you all think is the best for long excursions and Caribbean travel?

Let the debate begin!!

Given the age of those boats it's going to be the one in the best condition. I believe the hulls are all similar in that era of trawler boats. It's not like you are asking about the difference between a sport fisher and full displacement hull. It's more of a question of a Honda Accord or Toyota Camry from the 80s. The one in the best shape would be the winner.

Given the age of those boats it's going to be the one in the best condition. I believe the hulls are all similar in that era of trawler boats. It's not like you are asking about the difference between a sport fisher and full displacement hull. It's more of a question of a Honda Accord or Toyota Camry from the 80s. The one in the best shape would be the winner.
That would be my take also. Best condition.

When new you would have been comparing a Chevy to a Buick to a Cadillac. Now it comes down to maintenance and equipment. If all things are equal I would pick the OA. However, I wouldn’t pick a poorly maintained OA over a pristine Marine Trader.

When new you would have been comparing a Chevy to a Buick to a Cadillac. Now it comes down to maintenance and equipment. If all things are equal I would pick the OA. However, I wouldn’t pick a poorly maintained OA over a pristine Marine Trader.
Tilrider said it best.

Welcome Aboard !
Given the three brands of boats with condition being equal I would go with the O.A.

I am biased but in regards to our Ocean Alexander the only issues (and they have been minor) that I have discovered are due to poor installation or repair by previous owners. Our OA is built like a battleship but has also been very well taken care of.

It’s the little things that OA does that most don’t notice until 30 years later. Things like the port lights being rebuildable. After 35 years I replaced all my port light lens and gaskets. Water, fuel and hydraulic lines being copper instead of rubber. Oversized backing plates to spread the loads. Higher quality hardware through out. These things do make a difference.

I’ve owned my 1983 OA for the last 13 years and can certainly recommend the brand from my experience. It had some nice things installed when I bought it, I’ve added a couple, and the boat has been great. It had good care from previous 3 owners which has made my ownership more pleasant.

I am in the trawler market and have my sites on three boats, each a different builder.

And I'm looking for opinions on each brand (not the specific boats I'm looking at).

Which of these three brands do you all think is the best for long excursions and Caribbean travel?

Let the debate begin!!
I would pay attention to the main/mains engines brant. Because the age of the engines some of them start to be difficult to find spare parts.

Let the debate begin!!
I have an O A 40 Europa Sedan. It's the best by far. I might be selling it in the next few months so contact me if interested.

Let the debate begin!!
Heartily endorse the advice to buy the one in the best condition. Specifica;lly for the Marine Trader. Older boats were vulnerable to rot in the plywood under windows, for example. So be very thorough with the survey.

Three choices?
Suppose all three are same year, same overall condition, your choice will depend on your budget. I cannot image all three being the same price. I cannot imagine the OA being the lowest price either if all things are otherwise equal.

I am sure you have had any number of responses, mine will probably be different.

A friend told me before we bought our boat that the boat you pick should be the one that when you walk down the dock toward her you can't help but say; that is a damn fine-looking boat, every time you walk down the dock toward her.

Our boat has yet to fail when I come & go from her.

My comments are based on your comment I am interpreting as the final 3.

Good luck.

Of course looking at her on your way down, But if you are not looking back as you leave, that too may say something.

You got it. We bought her in '10 and she is still my heart desire.

Heartily endorse the advice to buy the one in the best condition. Specifica;lly for the Marine Trader. Older boats were vulnerable to rot in the plywood under windows, for example. So be very thorough with the survey.

Let the debate begin!!
Under my understanding I put in this order OA, Marine Trader, CHB, PT, but all of them from 1980s to 1990s are similar units with similar problems, You will need to check leaking teak deck, deck and flybridge soft spots, leaking diesel tanks, and stringers. My preference in engines are, Lehman, Perkins, Cats, Cummins, Yanmar, Volvos. Mechanics diesel pump all of them.

i have been looking for a trader build 1990 to 1995 and visit 3 possible boats, every trader has a custom interior, so you have to look wat best fit. the first one we visit had the port windows open for about one year, as result rotten wood inside, the second one was good but the motors has seen better days, the 3 one was in prime condition, the engine compartment look just like it has left the factory. all papers, invoices from maintenance form the delivery till now where present, maintenance on the engines was don by carterpiller (don't want to pay that bill) i purchase this boat for a good prize (divorce) The things i had to do was replace alle windows seals , the forward hatch was leaking with a damage sealing as result, on the bedroom windows there was some fineer damage just starting. on engine had a bad max temp switch. now i remove the front and side teak witch i can replace (still min 6mm thick) to remove and seal the screw holes the cleans removed teak will be glued back without screws. The items that where a problem had made a good price.

When i came to my home port i found out that the boat was not 54ft but 59ft after contacted the building site they told me it was a enlarged version but had the same model name.

Let the debate begin!!
Ever consider a Grand Banks? I have been up and down the east coast plus the Caribbean and the boat was perfect. It has a more livable layout that those you mentioned (I looked at those before I bought mine). If interested, message me.

I'll throw my $0.02 in on buying the boat in the best condition. OAs were probably better built than the other two you are interested in. It doesn't matter if the boat has been poorly maintained and upgraded. I delivered an older OA from San Diego to La Conner Wa for a broker. I pity the purchaser lined up. Fuel system problems, electrical failures, black water system failures. Stabilizers threatening to tear out of the hull. Even main engine problems on relatively new repower with John Deere 4045s due to poor installation. Most older boats are going to come with a bucket full of problems. Pick the one with the smallest bucket of least expensive problems.

From my experience, if you buy a 30-40 year old boat, unless po's have rebuilt most if not all systems, or even if they have, it can additionally cost you far more than purchase price to rebuild/replace most items onboard.
As an example, when I bought my now 40 year old 34 ft boat, I decided that I wanted a bowthruster and have the decks and house awlgripped. On the way to the boat yard my cutless bearing went. After all was said and done, the first yard bill (which now included new running gear), thruster, bottom paint, zincs and painting deck and house cost about $45k. After that, 2.5 years later I've dumped copious amounts more making it the great vessel it is today. I take it out 1-2 times per week and don't regret the hole in the water that I keep pouring more money into. Within the last couple months, I put an additional ac unit in. Now on 95° days in Florida I can cool the full cabin down to about 70°. Don’t regret any of the expenses, eyes wide open.

Over July 4th weekend, I talked to an active boater with a Marine Trader and per him, he has never had a better or more seaworthy boat, even his wife likes to go along. He has owned it for 5 years and goes on multiple trips each year. He was shoving off from San Diego on the 9th for a short 3 week trip north. He is currently in the dreaming stage of an around the world trip. I have never thought of Marine Trader boats but he gave one strong endorsement.

I have experience with OA and if it from 1997-2003 or so, they are likely to have gelcoat problems.

Welcome aboard and good luck with your new boat.

Back
Top Bottom