Moorings at Block Island, RI

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Don't know if it will be held this year but usually the 4th of July is observed with fireworks before during and after the 4th by the local towns.

With a bit of work a half dozen can be observed if you are willing to wander a bit.

3 mi Harbor is our favorite show as they will usually fire off a number of special huge imported shots as thanks for locals , on the library charity , or some other cause.

Groton CT show is usually the week after the 4th , a std large Garuchi show , EZ holding , plan on departing the next day , its a ZOO right after the show.

NYC Macys does a great job ., but the bay can be bumpy if it blows , and it is a MADHOUSE after the show as dozens of go fasts zip up the East River at 60-90K . Again best to stay anchored till next AM.

The Coasties have anchorage areas published , but do not always stick to them.

Last edited:
NYC Macys does a great job ., but the bay can be bumpy if it blows , and it is a MADHOUSE after the show as dozens of go fasts zip up the East River at 60-90K . Again best to stay anchored till next AM.

The mad house happens just about everywhere, unfortunately. I remember growing up we usually picked more distant spots to watch from so that we could pick up and go right when the show ended and get in ahead of the idiot parade. Otherwise it was sit and wait an hour or 2 for the traffic to calm down.

Thinking about going to block this Monday for an overnight, how late does the launch run? Is there a fee?

Thinking about going to block this Monday for an overnight, how late does the launch run? Is there a fee?

The launch usually runs until around 11, but is somewhat unreliable and can shutdown early in inclement weather.

This is the week of July 4th. It is crazy this week, along with the weekend of Victory Day (RI), and Labor Day weekend.

Honestly, if you're not out there by Sat early morning at the latest, I would not attempt it. There won't be any moorings, the anchorage will get crazy fast and the marinas will be packed. We usually go out this week, but leave between Wed and Friday morning.

Getting reservation at a marina is your best bet. if you're going to anchor on Monday, then remember to bring a shoe horn.

I think it's $4 per person one way for the launch.

Like Shrew said this week will be a zoo. Guaranteed. But it can be fun as long as you know what to expect.
Been there many times on the 4th
But lately we've done Coecles or Three Mile on the 4th to avoid the crowds.

Thanks all for sharing your experiences which are invaluable! I think we'll do Block on our way back from Cape Cod later next month - during the week.

Who has experience in Three Mile Harbor staying on the hook or at a mooring? We're thinking we may try Three Mile Harbor over the Fourth. We have bikes and a dinghy - are there enough places to bike to?

We appreciate any advice.

Jim

Been to Three Mile scores of times. BEST holding ground I have ever experienced.
Great dinking and there’s a dinghy dock at the far end of the harbor. You can bike into the Hamptons.
Narrow entrance but very well marked. Don’t turn into the Anchorage too early as there’s a long sandbar. Go well past East Hampton yacht club before you turn and you’ll be good.

Jay,

Have you decided where you are going for the 4th? We are going to Coecles with our Club. Just took delivery of our new NP 45 and this will be our first pleasure cruse on it. Guess it's time to change my avatar!

Rob

Jay,

Have you decided where you are going for the 4th? We are going to Coecles with our Club. Just took delivery of our new NP 45 and this will be our first pleasure cruse on it. Guess it's time to change my avatar!

Rob

Nice. Congrats!
Not going anywhere. We sold our boat. Survey (for insurance only) is today. We’ll stay aboard for a few weeks but I won’t take the boat out in the interim

Nice. Congrats!
Not going anywhere. We sold our boat. Survey (for insurance only) is today. We’ll stay aboard for a few weeks but I won’t take the boat out in the interim

Just saw you post on the teak decks. Sorry we won't see you but good luck with the sale.

Rob

p.s. My avatar of the 39 was take in the Coecles anchorage.

We instead went to 3 Mile Harbor ahead of the predicted storms. It rained on Friday, but Sat- Sun was very nice. The reputation of 3 Mile Harbor and the holding as was experienced by us as super.

I can imagine what Block is like right now!

Jim L

I ended up going to Block on Thursday 07/02. Not as crowded as I suspected, but a lot of boats came in on Friday and even Saturd

ay. Busier than a normal weekend, but not as crazy as it normally is.

Champlins restricted access to the dock to those in the Hotel and Marina only. On Sunday 7/5 they lifted the restrictions. Payne's looks crazy and rumor has it they took a $5K fine for not enforcing social distancing measures and overcrowding.

The Oar appears to have moved most of their service out to the lawn.

We've only been in for ice and garbage. We're still here, but more than likely leaving today. Heat wave for the next three days, followed by a 'tropical' even this weekend with high wind and decent seas.

Back
Top Bottom