No updates availble for downloaded garmin charts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

magna 6882

Guru
Vessel Name
Intrepid
Vessel Make
North Pacific/ NP-45 Hull 10
I was looking to update my garmin charts that are less then a year old. I read the new chart guarantee and understood it to mean one update within a year. Garmins response as follows.
Hello Rod,

[FONT=&quot]Happy to help! The "free" update for these charts applies to the SD card purchases only. This is to ensure that when you get the SD card, you have access to the most current version of mapping.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Had i had known i would have just had them send me the card. No difference in price other then saving them a few bucks. My loyalty to garmin just went down the toilet along with $385.00 for an obsolete chart.
[/FONT]

I just tore out the Garmin suite in our boat and put in Raymarine. I have had great support from Raymarine over the years.

I was looking to update my garmin charts that are less then a year old. I read the new chart guarantee and understood it to mean one update within a year. Garmins response as follows.
Hello Rod,

[FONT=&quot]Happy to help! The "free" update for these charts applies to the SD card purchases only. This is to ensure that when you get the SD card, you have access to the most current version of mapping.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Had i had known i would have just had them send me the card. No difference in price other then saving them a few bucks. My loyalty to garmin just went down the toilet along with $385.00 for an obsolete chart.
[/FONT]

Don't feel bad, I bought the SD card in 2017 with a free update. They never made another chart that would work with my unit. So I happily run my Garmin MFDs with 2017 charts, have Coastal Explorer on a new 24" LED display, and Aquamaps on a 12" tablet.

Ted

When i look at my garmin express i have so much garmin stuff for the cars ,motorhome ,wifes exercise stuff and so on.This has been a wake up call for me. Kinda like relying on russia oil. I am going to make a better effort to look at other options when the need comes up so i dont find myself so committed to one company. I have been hearing the same thoughts from others but i guess my ignorance was causing a little deafness.

[FONT=&quot]My loyalty to garmin just went down the toilet along with $385.00 for an obsolete chart.
[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

Coastal Explorer! I called about a year after install and asked what it would cost to renew my updates. The reply:

"We get those data free from the government; why would we charge you for them?"

After years of being raped by Jeppesen and Garmin in aviation (who get the data from the same government), I was stunned by this statement.

The boat is gone, but I still have the service on two home computers, and update every so often, just because I can.

I am a Coastal Explorer fan as well. Great product, good support (the one time I called), and free chart updates for US charts, (Canadian charts are renewed annually if you want updates or can use the old charts (not recommended) for free).
No affiliation, just used to be customer (sold with the boat).

Back
Top Bottom