Oil Sampling (Buying Californian 34 with Cat 3208's) - What else to test?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Without a doubt, a thorough engine survey is the best thing you can do from a really good surveyor. The best Cat guy in the US is Tim Caruso in Stuart, FL. The cost to have him come is nothing compared to what you will learn about your engines and just as important you will learn how to take care of them. Look at Tim's background from his website which is Marine Diesel Analysts.com. Tim only does Cat Marine Engines and has been doing it for 41 years all over the world.

He did a marine survey for me on a 38' Californian aft cabin with 3208 cats (that had been after-market dual turboed).

He was very thorough. Missed nothing. I backed out. The next week a buyer using another surveyor and inspector did not.

I probably could have negotiated with the reasonable seeming seller for a fair price -- and maybe the next buyer did.

But, the boat was a compromise for me in a few other dimensions, so that just tipped the scale away from it.

At any rate, Tim gets high marks from me. Really high.

I just want to say, You guys are Awesome !

Thank you for all this great information.

I am flying out to meet a Caterpillar employed Mechanic next Friday. I couldn't afford to pay the Marine Cat mechanic to meet me there but this is the next best thing, Plus we will be able to call his Marine Cat Collogue to discuss any questions or issues we may find.

They assure me, they know how to properly pull oil samples etc.

So, Fingers crossed.. if they are good engines with seemly a true 1500 hours I will have my dream boat... next just got to get er on the truck and get out to Santa Barbara.

Again, Thank you ALL !

Mechanic update : Today had a Cat mechanic, knows his stuff spent a couple hours. So far all looking good, with the exception of cylinder 1 or 3 injector needing to be replaced. Will probably change all and do the timing at the same time. Very little white smoke. Hopefully oil samples come back good.

Mechanic gave me confidence in these motors so as long and the Hull passes inspection I got myself a boat!

Here is a private link of my ride if you want the 5 minute walk through

https://youtu.be/nk4v1oNT2PY

Again, thanks all!

Will post oil results when I get them

PS, no blowby.

When you post the oil reports use PDF files. It makes a diference in how readable they are.

Nice walk-thru video, Chris. Looks great! A PO has put considerable effort and money into her. What year? Looks like a newer 34 LRC from the mid- to late-80s. It's a very versatile boat that I'm sure will give you a lot of pleasure cruising/fishing/diving. Hope all goes well with the final deal and shipping.

Mechanic update : Today had a Cat mechanic, knows his stuff spent a couple hours. So far all looking good, with the exception of cylinder 1 or 3 injector needing to be replaced. Will probably change all and do the timing at the same time. Very little white smoke. Hopefully oil samples come back good.

Mechanic gave me confidence in these motors so as long and the Hull passes inspection I got myself a boat!

Here is a private link of my ride if you want the 5 minute walk through

https://youtu.be/nk4v1oNT2PY

Again, thanks all!

Will post oil results when I get them

PS, no blowby.

I would not bother with replacing all the injectors, only replace the bad one and get a spare. You can modify a cheap, small, slide hammer to get the injector out and that makes them really easy to change. When you pull the rocker shaft and rocker arms out, leave the bolts on the very ends of the rocker shaft in place, they don't go all the way through to the head and are only there to hold the rocker assembly together so it can be lifted out as a sub-assembly.

I cannot imagine the timing is out, but it's super easy to check. You just need a special pin that drops into the injection pump through a port on the top when the pump is set for #1 at TDC on a compression stroke (just turn the motor with a socket until the pin drops in place (which stops the motor from turning over), and then you can view the crankshaft timing hole through a port on the front housing of the engine. The service manual explains this well.

I would not bother with replacing all the injectors, only replace the bad one and get a spare.......

Thanks, if I already owned the boat I may do it myself.. But going to hire someone to do it after I get oil samples back. I'm expecting the port oil to have a bit of fuel in the oil if it is in fact a bad injector that would make sense. Then if no red flags in the oil samples I will pay to have injector replaced, timing checked, put back together.. Run em hard again and moke sure that white smoke and knocking is gone.

Will keep at least one replacement probably two just to keep on the boat so I am ready if or when the next injector acts up.

Thanks again for the great tips!

Bad Injector

If the spray pattern is bad it won't combust and fuel will leak past the rings.

Don’t forget to do a load test on your batteries: start, house and inverter. You can do a quick check with a hygrometer, but only a load test will give you a look into the life of the battery. Batteries are not as expensive as engines, but replacing a bank can run several hundred to several thousand dollars depending on voltage and capacity.

Back
Top Bottom