Opinions on makes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Eli27

A question for the seasoned trawler owners. In what order, from better quality build to lower quality build, would you put these older trawlers.

Grand Banks, Marine Trader, Albin, Ocean Alexander, Chb, Cheoy Lee.

I know there are more makes but these come to mind and are generally the ones that i see out there. Feel free to add a make or 2 that you feel are of quality build.

Im confident GB will be first but the others is where i get a bit confused.

P.S. I put them in order of what i think

Greetings,
Mr. E. Having owned a Marine Trader (34 DC) and latest a Cheoy Lee (46 LRC) and having been aboard the other makes I feel the Cheoy Lee would be first on MY list of quality builds. Well appointed, stout and nicely designed.

That being said, ANY boat that is not well maintained will be a potential money pit in spite of initial build quality.

Yeah, for quality of build, I'd put OA and Marine Trader ahead of GB, but that's just me. Having owned a GB, I think a lot of their reputation is because they were the most prolific builders of the ones mentioned. But their windows, electrical, fuel tanks, and decks really sucked. A lot depends on which yard built which boat, and even down to the actual crew that build them. Our GB, for instance, was wired almost completely with RED wire. Yep, that way from the factory.

I can't speak much for the others on your list, but I've seen some really nice CHBs as well.

Depending on the "vintage" you are looking at, (I'm assuming 70's thru 90's) I think the current condition, and how the boat has been cared for over it's life to this point is far more important than the original build.
I'll probably get a lot of hate mail from other GB owners, but that was our personal experience.

A question...In what order, from better quality build to lower quality build, would you put these older trawlers. Im confident GB will be first

You are proof, Grand Banks marketing works.

Ok, strictly speaking, going back in time, assuming they have all just splashed, fresh out of the molds on the same day in the mid 1980s: Cheoy Lee, Grand Banks, Ocean Alexander, Albin, tied with Marine Trader, CHB.

From the minute the first owner steps aboard until now, all that can change.

Every one of those boats had good years and bad years.

Last edited:
I would be more concerned about condition of the particular boat. You can have a gold plated builder but if the boat hasn’t been maintained a lesser brand may be the better value.

Like slowgowsit said, the brand is not as important as the yard. I went with GB precisely for that reason as they were all built by AM. With many of the copies like MT you could get one built at a great yard or the exact same boat built badly by another hard. That said, maintenance is a massive consideration.

I've owned 2 GBs; a 1984 Classic 36 and a 46 Europa 1996. I owned the 1984 for 15 years and the 1996 for 10 years. I found the build quality to be outstanding. Electrical wiring and plumbing were first rate. The attention to detail was amazing. Every screw head was aligned in the same direction and the woodwork was perfect. I was impressed and that's why I bought 2 over the years. I can't speak to the other brands as I have no firsthand experience with them. A well maintained GB will hold its value overtime. I sold my 46 for significantly more than I paid for it 10 years earlier.

I've owned 2 GBs; a 1984 Classic 36 and a 46 Europa 1996. I owned the 1984 for 15 years and the 1996 for 10 years. I found the build quality to be outstanding. Electrical wiring and plumbing were first rate. The attention to detail was amazing. Every screw head was aligned in the same direction and the woodwork was perfect. I was impressed and that's why I bought 2 over the years. I can't speak to the other brands as I have no firsthand experience with them. A well maintained GB will hold its value overtime. I sold my 46 for significantly more than I paid for it 10 years earlier.

My realization of their quality came when I found out the "studs" holding the interior ceilings to the house sides were solid Burmese teak. Completely hidden but still teak. Like you, I'm on my second one, From a '73 36' to a '73 42'.

My realization of their quality came when I found out the "studs" holding the interior ceilings to the house sides were solid Burmese teak. Completely hidden but still teak. Like you, I'm on my second one, From a '73 36' to a '73 42'.

I have teak lumber all over in the construction of our Marine Trader also.

Greetings,
Mr. H. Not to minimize the build quality of GB's, the extensive use of teak, while impressive to North Americans, is simply their use of common, readily available local lumber for construction. The fact that teak is excellent for boat construction is a bonus for the builders.

For example, mahogany is a common building material in Belize, CA. I watched a house being built using mahogany framing material (2X4's, 2X8's) using mahogany. Expensive here but basic lumber there.

As mentioned, Marine Trader has a lot of teak as does Cheoy Lee.

I have teak lumber all over in the construction of our Marine Trader also.

Do you guys have those intricately carved doors? I visited some cruisers in one and they were awesome.

Greetings,
Mr. H. Not to minimize the build quality of GB's, the extensive use of teak, while impressive to North Americans, is simply their use of common, readily available local lumber for construction. The fact that teak is excellent for boat construction is a bonus for the builders.

For example, mahogany is a common building material in Belize, CA. I watched a house being built using mahogany framing material (2X4's, 2X8's) using mahogany. Expensive here but basic lumber there.

As mentioned, Marine Trader has a lot of teak as does Cheoy Lee.

Interesting. I had not thought of that but it makes sense.

One’s budget and location comes into play too. For the wet PNW covered side decks and aft areas are a huge plus. Easy access is a must for us. These two reasons alone take most GB models off our shopping list.

Personally we’d say none of the older above and only consider builders from the last 10 - 15 years with sturdy proven vessels that meet our heavy duty cruising needs.

There are a few exceptions of older “redone” vessels like Delfin that in the right hands are marvelous cruisers. Then there is that one owner well cared for since new rare find - jump on it as it will never hit the market.

RT said it. Maintenance is key. Currently repairing and replacing stuff that should have been attended to years ago. That said the boat still has good bones. The decks had been done and fuel tanks replaced.

Greetings,
:thumb:
In the 60s and 70s teak was dunnage. One local I knew at the time, salvaged and sold the teak blocking and cradle. Got enough $$$ to pay for the shipping.

Greetings,

Nothing to do with boats but an Island off Mexico full of lobster fishermen would feed lobster to their dogs because of over abundance and cheap. Makes sense to use locally what ya got to do the job LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
Grand Bankses from the '70s, 80s and 90s came out of the Singapore factory with abundant quality even in the places you had to work to inspect. For example, the fiberglass edges beneath the windlass would be smoothed and evenly radiused, rather than left with hand-shredding epoxy stalactites. The joinerwork was mind-bendingly beautiful and consistent from boat to boat. Deck hatches had positive drainage scuppers, hardware was more than just adequate, and fastened more than just securely, etc. You could see and feel the builders' care and thoughtfulness everywhere.

That said, 40-some years later, even GBs of that vintage are proof of what nearly everyone above has already posted: with each additional year of age, how well a boat is cared for matters more than how it was built. A GB that's been neglected is a sad boat dream. Once someone's pride and joy, it may still be floating, but only because it's looking and waiting for the right place to curl up and die.

IOW, after 10 or 20 years, you're no longer just buying a boat the manufacturer built - you're buying the boat's ownership history. For me, the less solid info there is about a boat's past, the less interested I become. I have to be able to connect the dots.

GB

We have a 2008 GB EU 47... I've been on a lot of boats, and although I'm a bias, the quality is outstanding. It's easy to tell when you just walk on the decks of it compared to other, similar sized boats.

The ONLY complaint I have is that they used aluminum fresh water tanks, and access to the black water, and forward fresh water tank is awful.

No to hijack the thread, but I'd be curious to hear what people think of newer GB's build quality, and if I'm on base with my assessment or not?

M2
I’m not sure AL is the favorite water tank material. This has been around as a question for many decades. So yes, this concern speaks to quality on your GB or any new build. This issue aside, GB went out of business for a variety of issues. Aging designs, company ownership issues and low sales creep across the boating world all too often leading to quality questions for the later builds.

GB went out of business?? That's news to me.

https://www.grandbanks.com/

Bad choice of words on my part. Better said, since Grand Banks ownership in 2014 felt a new direction was needed to regain newer younger boaters the acquisition of Palm Beach Yachts occurred.

PB’s head, Mark Richard’s, was a young offshore ocean racer who was put in charge of the new and fresh corporate approach to building yachts. Competition was now Riviera, Maritimo, Fleming, OA, Outer Reef, Marlow and several other faster designs. Tony Fleming’s and Art DeFever’s old designs could not do battle anymore.

The old Grand Banks model line is no more with the new GB doing quite well. The steller name remains and for “goodwill” purposes.

Last edited:
A question for the seasoned trawler owners. In what order, from better quality build to lower quality build, would you put these older trawlers.

Grand Banks, Marine Trader, Albin, Ocean Alexander, Chb, Cheoy Lee.

I know there are more makes but these come to mind and are generally the ones that i see out there. Feel free to add a make or 2 that you feel are of quality build.

Im confident GB will be first but the others is where i get a bit confused.

P.S. I put them in order of what i think

Our we talking 1978, 1988 or 1998? My ranking for 1978 would be different than my ranking for 1988. Is tHe ranking based on design or construction or ease of repair at 40 years of age? Here again my ranking would be different.

I do not feel any useful information will be found in such a subjective question.

Our we talking 1978, 1988 or 1998? My ranking for 1978 would be different than my ranking for 1988. Is tHe ranking based on design or construction or ease of repair at 40 years of age? Here again my ranking would be different.

I do not feel any useful information will be found in such a subjective question.

Exactly. That is why I qualified my opinion with a 3-5 year window in the mid 80s.

I have spent a good amount of time looking at many boats from the 80s and it all comes down to maintenance and care. You really just need to figure out your needs and stay in that window and find something that works for you and then start digging into it with surveys or however you want to do you buying process.

Do you guys have those intricately carved doors? I visited some cruisers in one and they were awesome.
I recently had a close inspection of the intricate door carvings of a Cheer men boat. My bet is they're molded plastic glued on and hand painted.

I'll have to look closer at my friends. He boat a 41 Cheerman and I did get a good look but it was mostly in the bilges.

wow. What a shame.

As far as trawlers go Hatteras LRC models are way better than all of the others.

The best <my opinion> boat is the <insert boat I own here>.

:lol:

Of course, all kidding aside, the best quality built boat is the Cheoy Lee.

;)

Kind of surprised nobody put Defever on the list. When we were shopping, the Cheoy Lee 46 LRC was the gold standard for our requirements. Defever 44 OC was next followed by OA. Then came a grouping of MT, CHB, GB, Albin, and some others. We ended up with the Defever 44 about 3+ years ago and are happy with that, admitting that any choice is result of compromises.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom