POLL - Anchor-outs vs Cruisers - should permanent anchor-outs be restricted in ICW/AICW anchorages?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Florida - should longterm/permanent anchor-outs in one spot be restricted?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I think this is key element. It’s not OK to take over public space and occupy it as those it’s now your private space. That means an inherent time limit on use by any individual.

Why not have an even shorter time limit like 7 days, after which a permit is required allowing up to 30 days. To get a permit you would have to provide registration and ownership info, plus proof of liability and wreck removal insurance.

I cannot explain why, but every Florida ICW/AICW town seems to believe their problem is unique thus must have an unprecedented solution. In my observations and conversations with town councils, they have desire to clear out anchor-outs but flummoxed in how to do it. They do not ask other towns what they have done, they do not seek out well-known examples of where it has been managed (San Diego Bay is a great example). They don't ask cruisers. Heck, they don't even ask their local Sheriff's what they need to enforce.

My takeaway? In Florida at least, the town councils are dominated by real estate and development interests. These are people who don't have a transient past and while many have a nice house with ubiquitous 21-foot center console, they have no idea about the cruiser underbelly of Florida. As the saying goes, you cannot tell a tadpole what it's like to be a frog.

In my opinion, Madeira Beach, dead center of the 25-mile stretch of ICW between Clearwater Beach and Pass-a-Grille, could be developed into a cruiser mecca. They have very large anchorages that could be developed into moorings, they have City-owned waterfront land where a large dinghy dock could make the redveloped downtown easily accessible, and they have an existing marina that could manage the infrastructure. Not just snowbird cruisers, but Tampa Bay has thousands of cruiser-style boats, many of whom would enjoy a weekend destination as I just described. You'd think it's a good enough idea that it would at least get a wink instead of a blank stare. Only interest of these towns seems to be increasing tax base via condos and, as a sidebar, businesses to attract them. Not a lot of vision.

Poll closes later this morning. I'd encourage anyone who hasn't already registered their opinion (for or against) to do so ASAP.

Peter

All true very rare to see abandoned boats in New England. Do see liveaboards under shrink wrap in slips. Particularly in cities like Boston. Still you’re right weather means a way to heat the boat. That usually means electricity or constant access to a heat source and unfrozen water. So economics and weather gets rid of the low lying fruit.
But it’s unwise to discount the economics. Much of Florida, and places like Savannah, the Beauforts, HH have money but much of the area along the ICW not so much. I’ve visited these places by land and water. I know I dropped a lot more money on the local economies coming by land. That includes the tourist hot spots. Just compare your expenditures staying at city dock v hotels and a car.

I think monitoring anchored boats could be a one person job with the use of a drone.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom