PSS Seal Maintenance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BDofMSP

Guru
Vessel Name
Gopher Broke
Vessel Make
Silverton 410 Sport Bridge
Dripless shaft seals are extremely low maintenance, so for many people they aren't top of mind when they're doing their engine room inspections. Posting this to increase awareness for those who are less experienced.

After my recent incident where the fuel filter canister developed a crack and sprayed diesel all over the engine room, I had a large clean up task on my hands. During that clean up I got up close and personal with the shaft seals, and I noticed that one had very slight cracking on the surface.

slight cracking.jpg

I didn't love that, but I also wasn't looking forward to paying for a haul. Nonetheless it seemed like the prudent thing to do so I had it done. BTW that picture was after they had been removed - the cracking wasn't even that obvious when they were in place.

Boy am I glad I made that choice. Once removed I got the chance to bend the bellows. Holy cow, those cracks were deep!
cracks exposed.jpg

Just the slightest bend showed how extensive those were. Of course you can't bend it when it's on the shaft, so I couldn't see that. I will feel so much better now knowing that those are replaced, and I'll change my inspection routine to include a closer examination of the seals.

BD

Dripless shaft seals are extremely low maintenance, so for many people they aren't top of mind when they're doing their engine room inspections. Posting this to increase awareness for those who are less experienced.

After my recent incident where the fuel filter canister developed a crack and sprayed diesel all over the engine room, I had a large clean up task on my hands. During that clean up I got up close and personal with the shaft seals, and I noticed that one had very slight cracking on the surface.

View attachment 156376
I didn't love that, but I also wasn't looking forward to paying for a haul. Nonetheless it seemed like the prudent thing to do so I had it done. BTW that picture was after they had been removed - the cracking wasn't even that obvious when they were in place.

Boy am I glad I made that choice. Once removed I got the chance to bend the bellows. Holy cow, those cracks were deep!
View attachment 156377

Just the slightest bend showed how extensive those were. Of course you can't bend it when it's on the shaft, so I couldn't see that. I will feel so much better now knowing that those are replaced, and I'll change my inspection routine to include a closer examination of the seals.

BD
Any idea on the age of the bellows?

They were about 14 years old.

Roughly what was the total cost to have them changed?
Twin engine so two of them. Replaced with the Pro series which are far more substantial. With haul about 3 boat bucks.

14 years is way beyond what I would consider ordinary service life. I’m glad you addressed it before it caused any harm… except that dent in your wallet.

This is something that I need to look at having done the next time I do a haul out.

TF is valuable for so many reasons. A big one for me is that it reminds of stuff that I forget about.

Nice catch! Hope you replaced the bellows with the blue silicone ones.

Think the black rubber ones are rated 5 or 6 years. I replaced the bellows kit on mine after 8 seasons, 6,000 hours.

Ted

This is something that I need to look at having done the next time I do a haul out.

TF is valuable for so many reasons. A big one for me is that it reminds of stuff that I forget about.
That was the intent of this post. My ownership would be a disaster if I hadn't had the guidance that I've got from this forum. I take 100 times what i get, but I hope I can contribute something to help the balance.

Nice catch! Hope you replaced the bellows with the blue silicone ones.

Think the black rubber ones are rated 5 or 6 years. I replaced the bellows kit on mine after 8 seasons, 6,000 hours.

Ted
They're still black on the outside but they're the full fabric impregnated silicone design with the 10 year service recommendation vs 6 for the standard model different design with a keeper ring outside the normal seal too. Well worth the $100ish extra for the part. My mechanic said he won't use the lesser version unless the customer signs off insisting on it.

The other shaft BTW? Perfect. Bend it and zero cracks. Who knows why one would age so differently than the other? But I'd love to know.

The other shaft BTW? Perfect. Bend it and zero cracks. Who knows why one would age so differently than the other? But I'd love to know.
If they were from the same batch of hoses, it may have to do with chemicals used near one hose and not the other. Some chemicals dry rubber out to the point where it can crack more quickly. Lacquer thinner or acetone come to mind.

Ted

Have come to greatly prefer Tides with O rings to PYI products. Have used PSS for decades but requires haul should anything be past it’s due date or be injured. With the tides you can have multiple spare O rings left on the shaft. So replacement can be done in the water. Also less dependent upon bellows compression and cooling water. Once had issue with the water tube getting kinked. Fortunately caught in time.
For small engines there’s much to say for simple stuffing boxes. Modern stuffing works great.

Back
Top Bottom