Push me pull you

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AnsleyS

Vessel Name
Jubilee
Vessel Make
Kadey Krogen 42
We are cruising in the St John river basin where the Province of New Brunswick runs ferries including some that run on a wire across the river. These ferries look the same front and back so when you see them on AIS display the bow of the boat may not be direction that they are heading.
1000012576.jpg
1000012574.jpg

The boat symbol on the chart plotter AIS display and the directional vector showing course and speed are generated from the data transmitted by the vessel's AIS. They do not depend on the "shape" (single or double ended) of the vessel.
(Or did I not understand the question/concern?)

No question or concern but one does not often see a course and speed vector going in the opposite direction of the vessel's bow. Just fun.

Last edited:
I ran ferries for the State of Maine for a few years and while to me and most people they have an obvious bow and stern but there have been occasions where I wondered if a pleasure boat operator had any idea.

There use to be a ferry between Martha's Vineyard and Woods Hole called the "Islander". It operated for over 50 years and was an exact double ender, including two complete wheelhouses. I believe it had propulsion in both ends as it never turned around when heading between the island and the main land. Bow was the direction it was heading. Lots of fond memories memories riding it to and from the island for 40 years.

Islander-scan-3.jpg

Ted

The ferries in Puget sound are all double Enders. Look the same at both ends, pilothouses at both ends.

There use to be a ferry between Martha's Vineyard and Woods Hole called the "Islander". It operated for over 50 years and was an exact double ender, including two complete wheelhouses. I believe it had propulsion in both ends as it never turned around when heading between the island and the main land. Bow was the direction it was heading. Lots of fond memories memories riding it to and from the island for 40 years.

View attachment 156990

Ted

They run the MV Island Home now. It looks almost identical however it's larger and newer

Back
Top Bottom