Rear-View Mirrors

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jayslu

I've recently seen two different trawlers with rear-view mirrors mounted on both sides of the pilothouse. I think I might benefit from having mirrors like this, but when searching online, I'm unable to find anything like side-mounted rear-view mirrors for a boat. So, I wonder, are people using car/truck/RV mirrors? That would probably be fine, but I would want them to clamp on to 1.25" rails.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!

My solution would be to install cameras that show up on a screen in the pilot house. Great to be able to see what's coming up behind you and also really helps with docking stern in.

I second the backup camera suggestion.

But will also say nothing beats just stepping out onto the deck outside of my pilothouse.

I've used the same set of large rear-view mirrors on our last 3 boats. On our seadan-style mainship, with its mostly glass salon bulkhead, the lower station mirror worked out great. On our last 2 boats with a double cabin and sundeck design, a lower station mirror was almost worthless. I used a camera in those applications. With our slower boats, the flybridge mirror is invaluable for seeing who is overtaking us ,especially on the narrow stretches of the ICW, but I also use it to keep an eye on those onboard when they're moving about while underway.
I bought RAM ball mounts with a rail mount adapter for fastening the bridge mirror to the stainless bimini rail and it worked out perfectly.

I use 2 bicycle mirrors that come with adjustable mountings to attach to handle bars and I have them attached to the bimini tubes. They're not big but do the job. I'm no longer cranking my neck around all the time to see who's coming up behind us.

I never got around to putting a mirror on my trawler, but on my new skiff, I placed a small mirror designed to stick on car mirrors for a wider view on my plexi windscreen.

I now can see my aft trolling rod tips and anyone coming up from behind in just a glance. Too small for detail, but does the job. No real need for big truck mirrors, the bicycle mirrors sound appealing if the stick on one finally fails.

Go to a site like Overton's and check out the tow mirrors for wake boats and ski boats. Lots of selection and mounting options.

I like the idea of cameras but they're also one more piece of electronics to purchase and maintain. Mirrors are analogous to compasses. Not much to go wrong.

The admiral bought me a rear view mirror for Christmas to help offset my progressively deteriorating hearing.
It’s proven pretty useless as a navigation tool, but it does help me to smear a nice even coat of zinc oxide on my face!

I never considered a mirror, but that might be a cheap and effective option to use for docking as visibility after is poor on my boat.

I've recently seen two different trawlers with rear-view mirrors mounted on both sides of the pilothouse. I think I might benefit from having mirrors like this, but when searching online, I'm unable to find anything like side-mounted rear-view mirrors for a boat. So, I wonder, are people using car/truck/RV mirrors? That would probably be fine, but I would want them to clamp on to 1.25" rails.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!
I saw a boat on which the owner mounted a rearview mirror from the auto parts store. It looked OK.

It could be something as simple as a stainless U bolt to either stainless tubing, or Aluminum angle or square tube cut to whatever length that you want to extend the mirror out from the railing.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom