Removing anchor roller pin...not happening!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Osprey69

Vessel Name
Rogue
Vessel Make
Gulfstar 49 MY
So removed cotter from pin. Bang bang with the hammer. Nuthin'. Free up Not silky smooth but moving) anchor roller from pin by working it with vice grips. Bang bang. Nuthin'. l will try a gear puller next but thought I would put it out there to the group.

Heat it, spray penetrating oil, go have lunch, use gear puller. If no joy then heat it again, bang on it, heat it again, use gear puller. Repeat as necessary.

For anything that hasn't been removed in a while and is possibly rusted, as tilrider1 said, heat is your friend. I have worked on cars, not professionally, for years and anytime a bolt or nut won't budge, heating almost always will helps free it up, almost always.

Mine was stuck and I got it out with penetrating oil.

Heat, as said above, something like PBBlaster and continuous tapping on it. The tapping sets up vibrations that may help the lubricant penetrate. Then repeat…

Thanks all. I gear pulled until the gear puller pulled itself off. It does not feel stuck and it moves a bit, but captured somehow. Until we are bow in to access it without hanging upside down, I will modify the roller in situ and replace it later.

Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom