Rocna Mk I vs Mk II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mpstan

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Bella Rose
Vessel Make
1991 Ocean Alexander 42' Sedan
Bought a Rocna anchor for our 35,000 lb Ocean Alexander 42’ sedan— we were in between sizes and I ordered up, to the 33kg ( 73lb). It is HUGE on our pulpit, and while our Maxwell 1100 windlass should handle it, we’ve decided it’s just too big and will downsize.

Next size down is 25kg. My question for the group— any experience out there with the new mk2 ? Trying to decide if it is worth the nearly double price ($1500) vs the Mk1.

Have seen no discussion since Panope’s review.

Thanks for your thoughts

From a weight only perspective, I feel that you are spot-on with your 73 lb anchor. Is it the physical size or shape that makes it not appear appropriate with your bow pulpit? Perhaps consider a different anchor in the 70# + range that has dimensions that are a better fit?

In the SV Panope tests the MKII did significantly improve on the shortcomings of the MK1. It went from being one of the lower performing new gen anchors to one of the better ones.

I wouldn't consider the 33kg / 73lb size too big for your boat at all. I've got a 73lb Vulcan on my slightly smaller boat and have never felt it's too big (and the 25kg / 55lb was the recommended size for me). My boat is 38' and a bit over 27k lbs loaded. Overall we're a little smaller (but not a lot) than an OA42 and a few thousand pounds lighter, so I don't think I'd want any smaller than the 33kg on your boat.

We had a 55# Vulcan (it was stolen) and felt it was just right for our 36 Monk. If you do feel the need, Amazon had the lowest prices yet found for Rocna I or Vulcans.

Bought a Rocna anchor for our 35,000 lb Ocean Alexander 42’ sedan— we were in between sizes and I ordered up, to the 33kg ( 73lb). It is HUGE on our pulpit, and while our Maxwell 1100 windlass should handle it, we’ve decided it’s just too big and will downsize.

Next size down is 25kg. My question for the group— any experience out there with the new mk2 ? Trying to decide if it is worth the nearly double price ($1500) vs the Mk1.

Have seen no discussion since Panope’s review.

Thanks for your thoughts
I agree with others, your 33kg / 73lb anchor seems 'right' sized for your vessel. We cruised for a few years with a 33kg on a 45' 29,000lb sailboat (different vessel) however, when we dropped the hook and assured it set, we slept well. A lot depends on why / how / when you anchor - right sized and oversized are insurance when you 'need' it. Lunch anchors can work in ideal conditions. Loop'd with a 33kg/73lb rocna on a 44' mv - same reason, I liked to know we were going to hold. The Mrk 2 is an improvement from Mrk1. Lots of m/v seem to have Vulcans hanging from the bow . . . . perhaps an option.

There are a few things in life a man can have that can't be too large, an anchor is one of them 😉

Thank you for the input everyone. We actually ended up going with a 55 pound Mantus M1. Mantus has been light years ahead of Rocna in terms of taking my calls and giving advice, and in the end decided to go with their less pretty, but also expensive, option

Thank you for the input everyone. We actually ended up going with a 55 pound Mantus M1. Mantus has been light years ahead of Rocna in terms of taking my calls and giving advice, and in the end decided to go with their less pretty, but also expensive, option
I have used the Rocna 25 MK 1 with 300 ft of chain on my OC 423 for about 10 years and it has never dragged and alway reset itself on tide or wind changes. Did the loop in 2018, It did not set once in the North Channel on eel grass and hard sand.
I have been in the Florida Keys, the Bahamas, home port area of South Florida. No problem.
I use a chain hook and 50ft nylon 3 strand bridle to take strain off the bow pulpit..

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom