Safe Harbor monopoly?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ancora

Guru
Here in San Diego, Safe Harbor is everywhere, both marinas and boat yards. Two of the marinas they've taken over would accept anything that floats, as long as the checks kept coming in, but not anymore. Now they're talking about an age limit on what boats they'll accept, and "sneaky liveaboards" are a thing of the past. What about other areas?

It’s not just Safe Harbor. The independents have been or are being bought out. In Jacksonville, 3 marines have been been bought in the last couple of years, one by Port 32 and the other 2 by Windward Marine Group. Port 32 now owns 7 marinas and Windward owns 12.

They are only in it for the money and it’s evident. Rates have gone up significantly and they are picky on who comes in and who can work on your boat. Independent service providers are now charged $15/day at Port 32 and they must show proof that they pay unemployment insurance. That’s a strange one. Recently, a boat needed ac work. He went to another marine for the day so his service tech could work on the boat.

I don't like it, and avoid them when possible. Smaller mom and pop ones are much for fun and accommodating.

If you are in San Diego, why not go to Ensenada.

The rates are lower, the services are top notch, and they do not even question how many nights you sleep on your boat.

Private equity firms are pretty efficient capitalists. They have purchased large swaths of houses to put into rental programs, mobile home parks, and of course marinas. They all have the same fundamentals: tenants have few options but write a check for ever escalating services

Over the last 50-years, I'm guessing there are 10 boats built for every one slip built. It's a great business model. And it's why I bought a slip that came with a free condo (the condo pays its own way as VRBO rental).

Peter

I've been in one of the San Diego Safe Harbor locations for three years now. I have no complaints. I actually replied to a customer survey that I would like to see them have a rule to ensure boats are operable, we still have too many derelict boats in the marina for my taste. The marina is not a place to store non-running condos for people from Arizona to come for the weekend to escape the heat. I have no issue with liveaboards and we have several nice folks who live on their boats.
In general, the marina is clean, well kept and the staff is very helpful and friendly. The GM is there all the time and on top of any issues. If this is what all Safe Harbor sites are run like then why all the bashing?

I think it's a kind of "day of reckoning" which has finally arrived. The days of the Mom-and-Pop marina where working stiffs keep their boats are over. There's just way too much money floating around (ha, that was an unintended pun!) in boating these days, and a very limited supply of marinas to keep them at. There's absolutely no reason why marinas shouldn't be turned into high-price resorts where people can park their expensive show boats. Except that it sucks for the rest of us.

I should add that the Safe Harbors marinas I know of are well run, and I'd certainly be happy at one if I could afford it.

If you are in San Diego, why not go to Ensenada.

The rates are lower, the services are top notch, and they do not even question how many nights you sleep on your boat.
I'm in a yacht club marina and happy to be here.

I've been in one of the San Diego Safe Harbor locations for three years now. I have no complaints. I actually replied to a customer survey that I would like to see them have a rule to ensure boats are operable, we still have too many derelict boats in the marina for my taste. The marina is not a place to store non-running condos for people from Arizona to come for the weekend to escape the heat. I have no issue with liveaboards and we have several nice folks who live on their boats.
In general, the marina is clean, well kept and the staff is very helpful and friendly. The GM is there all the time and on top of any issues. If this is what all Safe Harbor sites are run like then why all the bashing?
Our yacht club marina has a lot of Zona boats, but they must be kept up or face eviction.

Back
Top Bottom