Selling our boat questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ancora

Guru
We have a buyer but we are leery about the paperwork. Is it possible to hire a boat broker just to handle the paperwork? We are in California.

Yep. Ask a local broker which service they use/recommend.

Does the buyer have any concerns? I think typically the buyer engages the service. You just need cleared funds 😔

If you are concerned with having good legal paper work that protects you then continue on looking for a broker to help.

If you are just looking for help in transferring title and payment then all you need is a marine escrow company.

Hire an attorney who does marine transactions. Much better than a broker who is prohibited by law from providing legal advice, despite what they may say. An attorney may even be cheaper and can handle escrow.

I bought a boat in CT from a broker in FL. The seller used him for his access to Yachtworld and his escrow services. I contacted the broker who sent me directly to the seller. The showing, negotiation, survey and sea trial where handled between myself and the seller directly. I think the seller paid 3% commission for the listing and escrow services.

The west coast does not generally use attorneys to close purchase and sale agreements of real or personal property. Sure one may review the contract(s), but the west coast generally uses title/escrow companies while many east coast locations still use attorneys for this purpose.

What's the issue with the paperwork? You might get better advice if people know the problem you are trying to solve. For transaction service, I have used The Mary Conlin Company in Newport Beach. They know all the California issues.

X what ? Three? Four? on engaging an escrow agent/maritime titling service.
Brokers are there to find buyers. You've already done that. Attorney's handle legal issues, and often aren't familiar with the nuances of maritime transactions unless you pay more billable hours for them to become educated.

I can personally recommend Pacific Maritime Title in Seattle Washington.
They handled the purchase of our Beebe in 2021. Included was escrow of funds, transfer of Federal Documentation, change of name on Federal Documentation, Title and registration of the included Dinghy as well.
Fees were very reasonable, and clearly defined prior to engaging them. They also did some additional work, like procuring a WA State annual cruising permit we added in, at no additional increase in their fees. (We just paid the state permit fee).
Everything went smoothly, and they do boats transfers all up and down the West Coast. Everything was handled electronically, as we were in Kentucky at the time of purchase/closure.
Pacific Maritime Title is a small firm, so you won't get lost in the bureaucracy of a large company. Kim and Tanya (co-owners) are equally capable of handling transfers.

Best of luck in your sale!

There are attorneys who do transactions. Here’s one:

I’ll post a couple more if I remember them…

There are attorneys who do transactions. Here’s one:

I’ll post a couple more if I remember them…

OP is West Coast, not Florida. As I stated above, East Coast is attorney centric (generally), West Coast is escrow/title/doc services centric.

OP is West Coast, not Florida. As I stated above, East Coast is attorney centric (generally), West Coast is escrow/title/doc services centric.
I understood that. You’re welcome to your opinion. I would never buy a boat or real estate without an attorney reviewing the contract. Nor would I recommend otherwise on any coast or anywhere in between.

I understood that. You’re welcome to your opinion. I would never buy a boat or real estate without an attorney reviewing the contract. Nor would I recommend otherwise on any coast or anywhere in between.
It's not my opinion. I am an attorney in Washington. I noted above that attorneys on this coast general involvement is limited to reviewing the contract documents (post #9) but that it is rare indeed to have an attorney act as a closing agent and/or escrow service. Just sharing info.

The west coast does not generally use attorneys to close purchase and sale agreements of real or personal property. Sure one may review the contract(s), but the west coast generally uses title/escrow companies while many east coast locations still use attorneys for this purpose.

This is kind of a weird geo-centric generalization. We don't use attorneys for vessel P&S, closings, or escrows on the East Coast either. In fact, two of the last three real estate transactions I was involved used a Title company for escrow and closing as well. I've never used an attorney for a boat sale or purchase.

What would make you think these is a East Coast vs West Coast difference here"?

This is kind of a weird geo-centric generalization. We don't use attorneys for vessel P&S, closings, or escrows on the East Coast either. In fact, two of the last three real estate transactions I was involved used a Title company for escrow and closing as well. I've never used an attorney for a boat sale or purchase.

What would make you think these is a East Coast vs West Coast difference here"?
If you scroll up, you will see that a few commenters suggested using an attorney for the closing of the boat sale. My comment was directed to those suggestions. As to real estate, I have purchased several properties in New England and each closing was handled by an attorney's office, not a title company/escrow company. Was not my choice and there was no other choice.

Back
Top Bottom