Shaft log tube repair that looks cheap and easy, no more $10,000.00 repair bills for leaky shaft log tube. Wish I'd seen this before.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

douggairns

Veteran Member
They want more in this message befotre i can post it.

The video on you tube shows how they clean and repair sewer lines .
It shows the name of the product, and blows it through the tube where it eventually hardens,
Once you see how it works,
When i did mine with SStube i had to run a hole saw through the old tube to clean it up and get rid of any bumps in the FG. first, as the
ss tube wouldn't go in very far because the tube inside was damaged from the front cutlass bearing not being locked to the shaft,
and migrated about 9 ft to the stern cutlass bearing. this looks like a great way to do it, and if i can find that product here, i just might
take the ss tube out and re-do the tube with this. I had the stuffing box machined out to fit the ss tube, and had grooves cut inside for
fancy O rings to keep the SS from contacting the Bronze on the outside of the tube where it enters the stuffing box, and the front 6" cutlass bearing keeps the SS from the tube interacting with the SS shaft as well.
No, I don't think I will, I worked hard to get it done and it works fine for now, I'm pretty sure i'll be dead before it goes bad again, but I'm also sure this way would be the way to go.
Hopefully i can post this now.

Attachments

• 1000005228.jpg
    1000005228.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 6
Looks like you find a plumber that relines sewer pipes because they already have the machine to make it work, It looks like if you remove the rudder the machine could push the plastic liner into the engine bay, and after it hardens, you just cut the excess off before you re-install the stuffing boxes. We used 1/2" threaded rod with a hole saw bolted to one end, and a half inch drill on the other. we put a piece of ss tube inside the hole saw to guide it down the tube without the saw being able to go where it felt like.

Called a company here in Ontario, asked what he'd charge ballpark to do a 3"hole for 10 ft just a wild ballpark price, he said $3,000.00. I( think thats probably a 2k profit, and the job would probably be done in 1 or 2 days, where it took me a month to do it all with SS. So, a month's time for me to get it all done, with my cost of about $1,200. for the ss tube, machining the ends of the supports and 2 new cutlass bearings, @ 300 a piece.with the epoxy liner ( epoxy, i called it plastic) all i would have needed was the 2 bearings and packing material.

Back
Top Bottom