solar rail mount

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tooldev

Vessel Name
After Sailing
Vessel Make
Mainship 390
Hello All.
i could not find a suitable option to mount solar panels and decided to develop my own "rail mount" brackets.
my 2001 Main ship 390 has a full canopy extending all the way to the rear. I found the flexible canvas top panels unsuitable and did not like the "home made" brackets. I am very happy with the outcome and will make the product available for sale shortly.
i found this works very well with 100w bifacial panels. it may work well with larger panels but i don't like adding stress.
the brackets allow to be mounted on slightly curved surfaces and i even tested them on my bow rail.

Attachments

• IMG_0598.JPG
    IMG_0598.JPG
    204.4 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_0646.JPG
    IMG_0646.JPG
    158.5 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_0667.JPG
    IMG_0667.JPG
    134.2 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_0668.JPG
    IMG_0668.JPG
    123.6 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_0669.JPG
    IMG_0669.JPG
    111.8 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_0691.JPG
    IMG_0691.JPG
    135.9 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_0694.JPG
    IMG_0694.JPG
    89.8 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_0696.JPG
    IMG_0696.JPG
    118.5 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_0698.JPG
    IMG_0698.JPG
    101.6 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_0700.JPG
    IMG_0700.JPG
    128.3 KB · Views: 84
Last edited by a moderator:
Hello All.
i could not find a suitable option to mount solar panels and decided to develop my own "rail mount" brackets.
my 2001 Main ship 390 has a full canopy extending all the way to the rear. I found the flexible canvas top panels unsuitable and did not like the "home made" brackets. I am very happy with the outcome and will make the product available for sale shortly.
i found this works very well with 100w bifacial panels. it may work well with larger panels but i don't like adding stress.
the brackets allow to be mounted on slightly curved surfaces and i even tested them on my bow rail. if interested, send me an email peter@tooldev.com
Thanks. That's exactly how I'm hoping to do my panels, as well. Nice to see your solution. That's a very robust and well-made set of brackets. Looks like you used a metal lathe, yes?

That would be great. I'll actually need 4 sets of 2, for 200 watt panels. I'll measure the railings when I get back to the boat, but I think they're 1" or 1.25"
my brackets have proven to work well with the smaller 100watt panels. I will check the 200watt but think it would be best to balance them a bit more over the rail , in other words have portion inboard and a larger portion outside the rail to avoid too much cantelever. I will work on it next week. Let me know your rail diameter please. A few photos would also help me. If I understand you right you want 800 watt in total.
Obviously you need decently strong rails.

Attachments

• dji_fly_20240831_103700_241_1725115025587_photo_optimized.jpeg
    dji_fly_20240831_103700_241_1725115025587_photo_optimized.jpeg
    144.6 KB · Views: 18
Will do (get you the diameter). My hope is to have the mounts on one side, and an adjustable leg on the other side so I can pull them up to Horizontal, and when I'm not using them I can let them hang.

Would it be possible to correspond directly?
Will do (get you the diameter). My hope is to have the mounts on one side, and an adjustable leg on the other side so I can pull them up to Horizontal, and when I'm not using them I can let them hang.
all the brackets are foldable, giving you the choice. there may be circumstances where you want to flood them all. a hail storm, for example.

Following along. Tooldev, I like your brackets a lot and am looking for a similar solution for my boat. No hardtop on the flybridge and I dont want to use flexible panels on the bimini. Will be interested when you're ready to market them.

Peter,

Those are great looking solar brackets. You should try to market them with Chris at MSI, he has a large pool of customers and is always looking for new products to support his business. If you haven't met him already I can make the introductions. You and I have done business together in the past, both in the tooling and boating worlds. I will come reintroduce myself if I see you around the marina. I have the 47' Chris-Craft "Iona II" at the corner of A-dock.

Regards,

Warren

The clamps look good and well resolved! Our rails are more oval than round, so fit could be an issue. But we`re in Australia and doubt production plans extend this far. Current thinking is flexible panels on canvas, but rail mounting conventional panels solves a lot of potential issues.

Peter,

Those are great looking solar brackets. You should try to market them with Chris at MSI, he has a large pool of customers and is always looking for new products to support his business. If you haven't met him already I can make the introductions. You and I have done business together in the past, both in the tooling and boating worlds. I will come reintroduce myself if I see you around the marina. I have the 47' Chris-Craft "Iona II" at the corner of A-dock.

Regards,

Warren
Hi Warren,
I know your boat but you need to refresh my memory in what context we did business together.
perhaps you can refresh my memory ?
Cheers
Peter

Peter,

Without getting into too much detail on a public forum, the first time we did business was about 25 years ago when I was a young manufacturing engineer at an automotive parts manufacturer around the corner from your shop. The second time was probably 18 years ago when I was a yacht broker and you were selling a 28' Bayliner if I recall correctly. It's a small world.

Warren

Peter,

Without getting into too much detail on a public forum, the first time we did business was about 25 years ago when I was a young manufacturing engineer at an automotive parts manufacturer around the corner from your shop. The second time was probably 18 years ago when I was a yacht broker and you were selling a 28' Bayliner if I recall correctly. It's a small world.

Warren
Hi Warren,
its really a small world, i am amazed at your memory. my wife and I plan to attend t the closing party in the marina, lets connect

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom