Starlink files for patent.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tiltrider1

Guru
Vessel Name
AZZURRA
Vessel Make
Ocean Alexander 54
Starlink’s new patent filing appears to be for an DC powered all in one antenna router combination that can fit in the palm of your hand.

This would mean backpackers could take the internet with them. More importantly, this would make adding Starlink to any boat as easing as placing a cell phone size object on the flybridge dash or under a cockpit dodger.

This is speculation at this point, we will need to wait to see.

This might be for accessing the T-Mobile direct to cell service that will be available the end of this year. Elon has some smart engineers but getting sufficient Ku band signal from the ground to a LEO satellite is a pretty big reach from a handheld device.

Tom

Their newly announced mini antenna is about 10"x12"x1.5 so not really going to fit in your palm (specs were recently released but not yet for sale). WiFi5 router but also has an ethernet port. 25 watts. Can run off AC or 12-48V DC. 100MB performance.

This might be for accessing the T-Mobile direct to cell service that will be available the end of this year. Elon has some smart engineers but getting sufficient Ku band signal from the ground to a LEO satellite is a pretty big reach from a handheld device.

Tom
If it's anything like the differences between existing Starlink equipment, I'd expect the physically smaller, lower power device to have significantly lower transfer rates. Considering the relatively small size of the current equipment, I'd expect scaling down further is possible, just with some significant compromises.

Ready,

That size makes more sense in Ku band. It’s an incremental reduction in size and performance. To some extent flat panel satellite antennas are like solar panels, the bigger they are the better they perform.

Tom

Just released, Starlink Mini. An all in one antenna and router. Not as small as the current patent filing.

I am speculating that the Mini is the product that Starlink filed paper work on last fall. I would expect that we will see this palm sized product come Jan 2025.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom